VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 6,981 Times in 5,014 Posts

Premium Member

Default Electric guitar necks .

I have some questions for the expert guitar builders and gurus on here .

1 - Has anyone ever tried one of Warmoth's shorter scale conversion necks ? If so , do they (or any other manufacturer's) really make a Strat/Kramer/Charvel etc. style guitar have a Gibson-esque feel ? I have small hands , and am thinking about looking into this approach for a couple of my guitars .

2 - Is it possible to change/alter the fretboard radius of an existing neck ? I know that probably sounds like a silly question , but I'm FAR from a builder or luthier . LOL . Genuinely curious if it can be done .

3 - How much do the nut sizes really matter for a good setup ? Will an R2 (for example) be that much different from an R3 ?

Sorry if these sound trivial . I'm in the beginning thought process of trying to overhaul 3 of my guitars . Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 - Yes, but you will have to have someone do it that REALLY knows what they are doing, and it requires a full re-fret after it is re-radiused.

3 - I notice a pretty big difference between R2 and R3 nuts. As far as setup goes, both R2 and R3 nut guitars can be setup to perfection, but they will feel different when you play them. You'll just have to try both and see what you like better (there are other options too besides the R2 and R3 sizes).

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,350 Times in 3,191 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have small hands as well and the best guitar I have that is my #1 is my 1986 Kramer Pacer Imperial. If you can get a similar profile neck as that I think you'd be happy. And I only use an R2 nut because it's perfectly spaced for me.

I have a LP custom and sometimes it's a battle to play because of the chunkyness.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 6,981 Times in 5,014 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    2 - Yes, but you will have to have someone do it that REALLY knows what they are doing, and it requires a full re-fret after it is re-radiused.

3 - I notice a pretty big difference between R2 and R3 nuts. As far as setup goes, both R2 and R3 nut guitars can be setup to perfection, but they will feel different when you play them. You'll just have to try both and see what you like better (there are other options too besides the R2 and R3 sizes).
    Thanks very much for the tips ! My Sterling AX40 guitars , and even my modded Charvel all have R2 nuts . I wasn't sure if there'd be a huge difference between other sizes .

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I have small hands as well and the best guitar I have that is my #1 is my 1986 Kramer Pacer Imperial. If you can get a similar profile neck as that I think you'd be happy. And I only use an R2 nut because it's perfectly spaced for me.

I have a LP custom and sometimes it's a battle to play because of the chunkyness.
    I just bought a Kramer Pacer Classic in white about a month ago . I'm still getting used to the feel of it . I think it needs to be taken for a set up .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora