Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Default OLP MM1

I have the opportunity to buy an OLP MM1 from a place locally and was thinking of modding it to add a Floyd and possibly move the selector switch to make it like an EVH model. I'm also wanting to get the FUCK/Balance type tone from it. Does it get anywhere close to the Axis/EVH soundwise? I know it doesn't have the 5/8" maple top, but can I still get the FUCK/Balance sound from it? All advice and thoughts are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

Bluto !!!

Hey man , allow me to add something from my experience in the past . I bought an OLP MM1F off of eBay . The faux amber flame top looked awesome , and the neck was one of the most comfortable I've ever played on . I didn't care for the floating trem , so I had it blocked with a trem stopper - still don't know why a supposed EVH copy would have a floating bridge ???

Any-hooo , I like to tune to E flat . The very first time I unlocked and re-tightened the locking nut ? I striped the metal ... Cheap hardware for sure ! Also , the tuners weren't very good IMO .The look was great , the feel was spot on , and the tone was very close to what I was looking for at the time . I've seen guys take a non trem model (like you are looking at) and put a Floyd on there as well as replace all the hardware . The guitars came out sounding awesome - for a fraction of the cost of the real thing .

Hope this helps in some small way . Cheers and good luck
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Yes I would probably be replacing the tuners, as well as the pickup selector switch, output jack, as well as the volume pot. So I wouldn't have to deal with crappy hardware.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Also, the Floyd would be a Gotoh (like the original!) so I wouldn't have to worry about stripping the nut either.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Yes I would probably be replacing the tuners, as well as the pickup selector switch, output jack, as well as the volume pot. So I wouldn't have to deal with crappy hardware.

Probably a good idea . The body and neck are very cool . Swap out the guts of the guitar with some higher quality components and you've got yourself a very cool axe . Look at the site Halen.com . There's a lot of chats/photos/modifications done to OLP guitars on that site . I'm a member , but haven't posted there in a while

Also, the Floyd would be a Gotoh (like the original!) so I wouldn't have to worry about stripping the nut either.

I've been seeing Gotoh trems on eBay a lot more lately . Never played on one .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did this conversion exactly to mine.

OLP MM1 (2nd production run) with strat trem.

I replaced all of the electronics, routed the nut for a locking one, and modified the body for a dive-only floyd. Replaced the tuners. I even made a custom neck plate and added a 5th neck bolt like the real MM's. The only thing I didn't do was move the pickup selector, just because it's hard to do that kind of routing carefully enough that you don't have to refinish the entire body afterwords.

Anyway, I've had this guitar in its finished state for about 5 years now. The only thing I have changed is pickups a bunch of times. To be honest, although the body looks really good, and the there aren't any physical problems with the neck, I find the neck and playability to me just "meh". Let me elaborate a little bit...

The neck does NOT have the same shape as a real MM EVH / Axis. The frets are a slightly odd size and feel, and even though I've refinished the neck and steel wool'd it to death, it still doesn't feel "fast". The other thing is that the guitar just doesn't resonate or sustain well at all. It just feels kinda lifeless honestly.

Which gets me to the last thing... the pickups. I've gone through the Tone Zone, Steve's Special, Stock Pickups, and others trying to get the Axis/EVH sound... nope. As should be common knowledge by now, the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo doesn't really sound all that much like the custom pickups in the Axis / EVH. Currently, I have a heavily modified Tone Zone in that guitar, which sounds pretty OK at best, but still not like a real Axis.

I guess what I'm trying to say... by the time you buy the OLP, buy all the upgrades, and spend all that time modding it, you're gonna have more into it than just buying one of the new Sterling Axis copies.... and those COME WITH REAL AXIS PICKUPS. Which is really the only way to get that sound, as I've found out the hard way over the years.

Look up the Sterling AX40D
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 05.02.14 at 04:52 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Do it. I did.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post

I replaced all of the electronics, routed the nut for a locking one, and modified the body for a dive-only floyd. Replaced the tuners. I even made a custom neck plate and added a 5th neck bolt like the real MM's. The only thing I didn't do was move the pickup selector, just because it's hard to do that kind of routing carefully enough that you don't have to refinish the entire body afterwords.

Anyway, I've had this guitar in its finished state for about 5 years now. The only thing I have changed is pickups a bunch of times. To be honest, although the body looks really good, and the there aren't any physical problems with the neck, I find the neck and playability to me just "meh". Let me elaborate a little bit...

The neck does NOT have the same shape as a real MM EVH / Axis. The frets are a slightly odd size and feel, and even though I've refinished the neck and steel wool'd it to death, it still doesn't feel "fast". The other thing is that the guitar just doesn't resonate or sustain well at all. It just feels kinda lifeless honestly.

Which gets me to the last thing... the pickups. I've gone through the Tone Zone, Steve's Special, Stock Pickups, and others trying to get the Axis/EVH sound... nope. As should be common knowledge by now, the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo doesn't really sound all that much like the custom pickups in the Axis / EVH. Currently, I have a heavily modified Tone Zone in that guitar, which sounds pretty OK at best, but still not like a real Axis.

I guess what I'm trying to say... by the time you buy the OLP, buy all the upgrades, and spend all that time modding it, you're gonna have more into it than just buying one of the new Sterling Axis copies.... and those COME WITH REAL AXIS PICKUPS. Which is really the only way to get that sound, as I've found out the hard way over the years.

Oh, I had totally forgotten about those Sterling copies. I found a great deal for brand new ones for under $600 with free shipping to my location! I think I may just go the Sterling route. It has the real Axis pickups, the real maple top instead of the photo finish top, and a Floyd so I won't have to mod that either. Seems like a much better solution.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:05 PM
    Liked 916 Times in 468 Posts

Oh, I had totally forgotten about those Sterling copies. I found a great deal for brand new ones for under $600 with free shipping to my location! I think I may just go the Sterling route. It has the real Axis pickups, the real maple top instead of the photo finish top, and a Floyd so I won't have to mod that either. Seems like a much better solution.

I love the purple models of the Ax40s! I'll have to get one someday. What color are you getting?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    I love the purple models of the Ax40s! I'll have to get one someday. What color are you getting?

I'll most likely get the amber one, but the black looks sweet too!

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post

I have a Sterling AX40D and I love it. I also have an OLP MM1 and it is in my attic, never to be played again. The AX40D blows the OLP MM1 away in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

So for those of you who have the Sterling AX40, what is your opinion on the Floyd that's on it? I've read that some like it and some don't.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I like it. Mine is a little stiffer than my Wolfgang. Love my AX40

Anyone A/B'd the AX40 and AX40D?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Well I would have gotten the regular AX40 for $600, but I can get the AX40D for 15 bucks more. Definitely worth it for the real DiMarzio Axis pickups.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well I would have gotten the regular AX40 for $600, but I can get the AX40D for 15 bucks more. Definitely worth it for the real DiMarzio Axis pickups.

Got mine before the AX40D came out. Contemplating a trade in and paying the difference at GC or Sam Ash. Great guitar as is, but if the new is is that much better...