Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37

Thread: OLP MM1

  1. #1
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default OLP MM1

    I have the opportunity to buy an OLP MM1 from a place locally and was thinking of modding it to add a Floyd and possibly move the selector switch to make it like an EVH model. I'm also wanting to get the FUCK/Balance type tone from it. Does it get anywhere close to the Axis/EVH soundwise? I know it doesn't have the 5/8" maple top, but can I still get the FUCK/Balance sound from it? All advice and thoughts are appreciated.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,450
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Likes
    6,141
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Bluto !!!

    Hey man , allow me to add something from my experience in the past . I bought an OLP MM1F off of eBay . The faux amber flame top looked awesome , and the neck was one of the most comfortable I've ever played on . I didn't care for the floating trem , so I had it blocked with a trem stopper - still don't know why a supposed EVH copy would have a floating bridge ???

    Any-hooo , I like to tune to E flat . The very first time I unlocked and re-tightened the locking nut ? I striped the metal ... Cheap hardware for sure ! Also , the tuners weren't very good IMO .The look was great , the feel was spot on , and the tone was very close to what I was looking for at the time . I've seen guys take a non trem model (like you are looking at) and put a Floyd on there as well as replace all the hardware . The guitars came out sounding awesome - for a fraction of the cost of the real thing .

    Hope this helps in some small way . Cheers and good luck
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  3. #3
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Yes I would probably be replacing the tuners, as well as the pickup selector switch, output jack, as well as the volume pot. So I wouldn't have to deal with crappy hardware.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Also, the Floyd would be a Gotoh (like the original!) so I wouldn't have to worry about stripping the nut either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,450
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Likes
    6,141
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Yes I would probably be replacing the tuners, as well as the pickup selector switch, output jack, as well as the volume pot. So I wouldn't have to deal with crappy hardware.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably a good idea . The body and neck are very cool . Swap out the guts of the guitar with some higher quality components and you've got yourself a very cool axe . Look at the site Halen.com . There's a lot of chats/photos/modifications done to OLP guitars on that site . I'm a member , but haven't posted there in a while


    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Also, the Floyd would be a Gotoh (like the original!) so I wouldn't have to worry about stripping the nut either.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been seeing Gotoh trems on eBay a lot more lately . Never played on one .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I did this conversion exactly to mine.

    OLP MM1 (2nd production run) with strat trem.

    I replaced all of the electronics, routed the nut for a locking one, and modified the body for a dive-only floyd. Replaced the tuners. I even made a custom neck plate and added a 5th neck bolt like the real MM's. The only thing I didn't do was move the pickup selector, just because it's hard to do that kind of routing carefully enough that you don't have to refinish the entire body afterwords.

    Anyway, I've had this guitar in its finished state for about 5 years now. The only thing I have changed is pickups a bunch of times. To be honest, although the body looks really good, and the there aren't any physical problems with the neck, I find the neck and playability to me just "meh". Let me elaborate a little bit...

    The neck does NOT have the same shape as a real MM EVH / Axis. The frets are a slightly odd size and feel, and even though I've refinished the neck and steel wool'd it to death, it still doesn't feel "fast". The other thing is that the guitar just doesn't resonate or sustain well at all. It just feels kinda lifeless honestly.

    Which gets me to the last thing... the pickups. I've gone through the Tone Zone, Steve's Special, Stock Pickups, and others trying to get the Axis/EVH sound... nope. As should be common knowledge by now, the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo doesn't really sound all that much like the custom pickups in the Axis / EVH. Currently, I have a heavily modified Tone Zone in that guitar, which sounds pretty OK at best, but still not like a real Axis.

    I guess what I'm trying to say... by the time you buy the OLP, buy all the upgrades, and spend all that time modding it, you're gonna have more into it than just buying one of the new Sterling Axis copies.... and those COME WITH REAL AXIS PICKUPS. Which is really the only way to get that sound, as I've found out the hard way over the years.

    Look up the Sterling AX40D
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 05.02.14 at 04:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,313
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,323
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Do it. I did.

  8. #8
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I did this conversion exactly to mine.

    OLP MM1 (2nd production run) with strat trem.

    I replaced all of the electronics, routed the nut for a locking one, and modified the body for a dive-only floyd. Replaced the tuners. I even made a custom neck plate and added a 5th neck bolt like the real MM's. The only thing I didn't do was move the pickup selector, just because it's hard to do that kind of routing carefully enough that you don't have to refinish the entire body afterwords.

    Anyway, I've had this guitar in its finished state for about 5 years now. The only thing I have changed is pickups a bunch of times. To be honest, although the body looks really good, and the there aren't any physical problems with the neck, I find the neck and playability to me just "meh". Let me elaborate a little bit...

    The neck does NOT have the same shape as a real MM EVH / Axis. The frets are a slightly odd size and feel, and even though I've refinished the neck and steel wool'd it to death, it still doesn't feel "fast". The other thing is that the guitar just doesn't resonate or sustain well at all. It just feels kinda lifeless honestly.

    Which gets me to the last thing... the pickups. I've gone through the Tone Zone, Steve's Special, Stock Pickups, and others trying to get the Axis/EVH sound... nope. As should be common knowledge by now, the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo doesn't really sound all that much like the custom pickups in the Axis / EVH. Currently, I have a heavily modified Tone Zone in that guitar, which sounds pretty OK at best, but still not like a real Axis.

    I guess what I'm trying to say... by the time you buy the OLP, buy all the upgrades, and spend all that time modding it, you're gonna have more into it than just buying one of the new Sterling Axis copies.... and those COME WITH REAL AXIS PICKUPS. Which is really the only way to get that sound, as I've found out the hard way over the years.

    Look up the Sterling AX40D

    Oh, I had totally forgotten about those Sterling copies. I found a great deal for brand new ones for under $600 with free shipping to my location! I think I may just go the Sterling route. It has the real Axis pickups, the real maple top instead of the photo finish top, and a Floyd so I won't have to mod that either. Seems like a much better solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    21
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,287
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 04:05 PM
    Likes
    3,256
    Liked 916 Times in 468 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Oh, I had totally forgotten about those Sterling copies. I found a great deal for brand new ones for under $600 with free shipping to my location! I think I may just go the Sterling route. It has the real Axis pickups, the real maple top instead of the photo finish top, and a Floyd so I won't have to mod that either. Seems like a much better solution.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love the purple models of the Ax40s! I'll have to get one someday. What color are you getting?

  10. #10
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    I love the purple models of the Ax40s! I'll have to get one someday. What color are you getting?

    I'll most likely get the amber one, but the black looks sweet too!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Eruption cav's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Posts
    786
    Favorite VH Album

    vh 2
    Last Online

    01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I did this conversion exactly to mine.

    OLP MM1 (2nd production run) with strat trem.

    I replaced all of the electronics, routed the nut for a locking one, and modified the body for a dive-only floyd. Replaced the tuners. I even made a custom neck plate and added a 5th neck bolt like the real MM's. The only thing I didn't do was move the pickup selector, just because it's hard to do that kind of routing carefully enough that you don't have to refinish the entire body afterwords.

    Anyway, I've had this guitar in its finished state for about 5 years now. The only thing I have changed is pickups a bunch of times. To be honest, although the body looks really good, and the there aren't any physical problems with the neck, I find the neck and playability to me just "meh". Let me elaborate a little bit...

    The neck does NOT have the same shape as a real MM EVH / Axis. The frets are a slightly odd size and feel, and even though I've refinished the neck and steel wool'd it to death, it still doesn't feel "fast". The other thing is that the guitar just doesn't resonate or sustain well at all. It just feels kinda lifeless honestly.

    Which gets me to the last thing... the pickups. I've gone through the Tone Zone, Steve's Special, Stock Pickups, and others trying to get the Axis/EVH sound... nope. As should be common knowledge by now, the Tone Zone / Air Norton combo doesn't really sound all that much like the custom pickups in the Axis / EVH. Currently, I have a heavily modified Tone Zone in that guitar, which sounds pretty OK at best, but still not like a real Axis.

    I guess what I'm trying to say... by the time you buy the OLP, buy all the upgrades, and spend all that time modding it, you're gonna have more into it than just buying one of the new Sterling Axis copies.... and those COME WITH REAL AXIS PICKUPS. Which is really the only way to get that sound, as I've found out the hard way over the years.

    Look up the Sterling AX40D
    I have a Sterling AX40D and I love it. I also have an OLP MM1 and it is in my attic, never to be played again. The AX40D blows the OLP MM1 away in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

  12. #12
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    So for those of you who have the Sterling AX40, what is your opinion on the Floyd that's on it? I've read that some like it and some don't.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    01.03.12
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    26
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I like it. Mine is a little stiffer than my Wolfgang. Love my AX40

    Anyone A/B'd the AX40 and AX40D?

  14. #14
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Well I would have gotten the regular AX40 for $600, but I can get the AX40D for 15 bucks more. Definitely worth it for the real DiMarzio Axis pickups.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    01.03.12
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    26
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    02.01.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Well I would have gotten the regular AX40 for $600, but I can get the AX40D for 15 bucks more. Definitely worth it for the real DiMarzio Axis pickups.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Got mine before the AX40D came out. Contemplating a trade in and paying the difference at GC or Sam Ash. Great guitar as is, but if the new is is that much better...

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •