Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Why is it supposedly risky to take all the strings off an EBMM EVH?

I read somewhere long ago and most recently in an eBay listing that you can ruin the neck on an EBMM EVH by taking all the strings off and, instead, must change one string at a time to maintain tension. WTF? How do you take the neck off or send it out for a level and crown or refret? I've owned three EVHs and probably left strings off the neck for weeks at a time before. Never a single issue. What's this all about?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Default Why is it supposedly risky to take all the strings off an EBMM EVH?

I believe it's because when you take all the strings off at once, there is still a lot of tension from the trem springs pulling the trem back, and the trem could dent or scratch the finish on the body. I don't think it will ruin the trem or anything like that, they just said that because they didn't want people ruining the nice finish on the guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I heard that too- apparently- (just what I heard!) because the neck is under tension from the truss rod, if you take all the strings off at once it puts too much pressure on the neck which could warp it.
    I've never had this prob with any guitar before so it sounds like prevention being better than cure. Surely if you had that much tension on the truss that undoing strings would be that damaging youd have a bad setup to start?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yeah...the guys above are right, and really, it's not just the EBMM. Most manufacturers who's guitars come with trems actually make mention in owners manuals or pamphlets of not removing all the strings at once. The neck can be an issue for sure, but that's usually a warranty stipulation. What often happens (Iv'e had it come through my old shop...more so with more inexperienced players ) was a player would take all the strings off, the neck would back-bow from the trussrod tension , then they'd put the new strings on (sometimes with a lighter gauge), and the action will be off, or they get buzz...so what do they do? Not knowing it usually takes a while for a neck to settle and stabilize from complete string replacement all at once, they start cranking on the trussrod, or they start playing with the pivot/trem height, often under tension. Either way, something ends up getting mangled...The trussrod may "pop", or the knife edges/posts get chewed up.
    It's totally fine to do, but the proper way is to either block the back of the trem between the baseplate and the body, but also remove the springs from the back as you slacken the strings so the knife edges don't drag up the pivot posts with the unequal tension, and damage the contact points.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.02.14 at 06:51 AM.