Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Default VH 1977 recording - fat sound, loud bass

I guess the first half of this video was recorded in October 1977 in someone's garage. Posting it on here because the recording, while not exactly "pro" quality, has a nice raw fat compressed sound to it. You can really hear Mike's bass for once (he sounds incredible). And the whole band is just smokin'.

Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

I think "The Garage" was a recording studio, not someone's garage.

I haven't listened in a while, but I think those are from one of the demo's they did, either the ones with Gene Simmons or the Blueprint ones for WB.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,971 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

I haven't listened in a while, but I think those are from one of the demo's they did, either the ones with Gene Simmons or the Blueprint ones for WB.
    Exactly. Just another MISLABELED import cd from some low budget rip off company. Swindel Records. They take other bootlegs and just rearrange the tracks.

http://www.vhboots.com/vhatthebest.html

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Oh ok, yeah it hadn't occurred to me that "the garage" could be a recording studio, you could be right about that. It does say "recorded live at the garage" (no capitalization). And I've never heard of a recording studio called "The Garage"...but who knows, maybe it is a recording studio.

I'm pretty sure the 1977 recordings (the first 10 tracks or so) aren't the Gene Simmons demos. The Gene Simmons demos have a totally different sound.

I've never heard of the "Blueprint" demos for WB...maybe that's what they are.

Whatever they are, I've never heard them before.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    Exactly. Just another MISLABELED import cd from some low budget rip off company. Swindel Records. They take other bootlegs and just rearrange the tracks.

http://www.vhboots.com/vhatthebest.html
    The title of the video is "Van Halen - At The Best (Full Album)". And the video portion is a picture of the album cover. So it's pretty obvious that it is from a bootleg album...just like every other recording that we have of VH prior to Van Halen I. Were you expecting that a 1977 VH recording would be a major-label release?

Do you know for a fact that anything on it is mislabeled?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

OK I did a little internet digging and it looks like these are in fact from the "Blueprint" demos for WB.

It is the same as tracks 11-20 of disc two:
    http://www.vhboots.com/blueprint.html

Here is the relevant info from vhboots.com:
    Disc 2 Tracks 11 through 20 are *mixed* demo versions by Van Halen. They were recorded on October 26th and 27th of 1977 and mixed by the band.
    The title, "Blueprint" is printed in blue along the bottom with the text, "Unreleased 25 Savage Young Warner Bros. Demos".
    Above the guy's heads it reads: "Original Soundboard Recording / Definitive Remastered Edition" and "Uncirculated 25 UNMIXED DEMOS for Warner Bros. Recorded 26 & 27 October, 1977."

My apologies, I'm pretty familiar with the Gene Simmons recordings but I've never head these recordings before and I had never heard of the Blueprint demos either. Great stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,971 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gageroo View Post
    The title of the video is "Van Halen - At The Best (Full Album)". And the video portion is a picture of the album cover. So it's pretty obvious that it is from a bootleg album...just like every other recording that we have of VH prior to Van Halen I. Were you expecting that a 1977 VH recording would be a major-label release?

Do you know for a fact that anything on it is mislabeled?
    I think you are misunderstanding my use of the term "bootleg". I am talking about the multiple Low Budget companies that just rip each other off by putting out the same recordings over and over. They are just copies of other bootlegs. Small Japanese Low Budget companies are notorious for making mistakes on Bootleg cds. They copy a recording, switch up the tracks, then try to make a few bucks off it by selling it to people that don't know any better.

These Recordings have been around FOREVER and put out in different packages by different companies over the years as you later found out with some more research.

If you want more detailed info visit here: www.vhtrading.com Most of us here have been trading and recording VH for 30 years since back in the cassette and VHS days.

Also Ron's site is a good source for info: www.vhboots.com