Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk bklynboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    18,847
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Likes
    12,936
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Princeton Student's Response To "White Privilege" Going Viral

    Going Viral: Princeton University Student’s Bold Response After Allegedly Being Told Repeatedly to ‘Check Your Privilege’


    Tal Fortgang, a freshman at Princeton University, says he has been ordered to “check your privilege” by his “moral superiors” several times this year because he happens to be a white male. In a column in the Princeton Tory, Fortgang takes on the ideology he says ”assumes that simply because I belong to a certain ethnic group I should be judged collectively with it.”


    Tal Fortgang, Princeton University

    “There is a phrase that floats around college campuses, Princeton being no exception, that threatens to strike down opinions without regard for their merits, but rather solely on the basis of the person that voiced them. ‘Check your privilege,’ the saying goes, and I have been reprimanded by it several times this year,” the student writes. “The phrase, handed down by my moral superiors, descends recklessly, like an Obama-sanctioned drone, and aims laser-like at my pinkish-peach complexion, my maleness, and the nerve I displayed in offering an opinion rooted in a personal Weltanschauung.”

    “‘Check your privilege,’ they tell me in a command that teeters between an imposition to actually explore how I got where I am, and a reminder that I ought to feel personally apologetic because white males seem to pull most of the strings in the world,”
    he continues.

    Fortgang then explores his family’s history to figure out where his “privilege” comes from:

    Perhaps it’s the privilege my grandfather and his brother had to flee their home as teenagers when the Nazis invaded Poland, leaving their mother and five younger siblings behind, running and running until they reached a Displaced Persons camp in Siberia, where they would do years of hard labor in the bitter cold until World War II ended. Maybe it was the privilege my grandfather had of taking on the local Rabbi’s work in that DP camp, telling him that the spiritual leader shouldn’t do hard work, but should save his energy to pass Jewish tradition along to those who might survive. Perhaps it was the privilege my great-grandmother and those five great-aunts and uncles I never knew had of being shot into an open grave outside their hometown. Maybe that’s my privilege.

    Or maybe it’s the privilege my grandmother had of spending weeks upon weeks on a death march through Polish forests in subzero temperatures, one of just a handful to survive, only to be put in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp where she would have died but for the Allied forces who liberated her and helped her regain her health when her weight dwindled to barely 80 pounds.

    Perhaps my privilege is that those two resilient individuals came to America with no money and no English, obtained citizenship, learned the language and met each other; that my grandfather started a humble wicker basket business with nothing but long hours, an idea, and an iron will—to paraphrase the man I never met: “I escaped Hitler. Some business troubles are going to ruin me?” Maybe my privilege is that they worked hard enough to raise four children, and to send them to Jewish day school and eventually City College.

    Perhaps it was my privilege that my own father worked hard enough in City College to earn a spot at a top graduate school, got a good job, and for 25 years got up well before the crack of dawn, sacrificing precious time he wanted to spend with those he valued most—his wife and kids—to earn that living. I can say with certainty there was no legacy involved in any of his accomplishments. The wicker business just isn’t that influential.Now would you say that we’ve been really privileged? That our success has been gift-wrapped?


    The real problem with the notion of automatic “privilege,” he explains, is you have no idea what their struggles have really been or “what they may have gone through to be where they are.”

    “Behind every success, large or small, there is a story, and it isn’t always told by sex or skin color. My appearance certainly doesn’t tell the whole story, and to assume that it does and that I should apologize for it is insulting,”
    Fortgang writes. “While I haven’t done everything for myself up to this point in my life, someone sacrificed themselves so that I can lead a better life. But that is a legacy I am proud of.”

    “I have checked my privilege. And I apologize for nothing,”
    he concludes.

    Fortgang is from New Rochelle, N.Y., and plans to major in either history or politics.

    His column has received both praise and criticism. One commenter told Fortgang that as a “white male, you are most likely ignorant of the ingrained racism or sexism that lives in society today.”

    “You want to play oppression olympics? What about the millions of blacks enslaved in America for 300 years, who then had to deal with segregation and Jim Crow while new immigrants were allowed to assimilate into white culture within one or 2 generations,” another wrote.

    One commenter on the College Fix website replied, “From a black guy (although my pic doesn’t show it), good for him. And nicely said.”

    Read his entire column here. http://theprincetontory.com/main/che...-of-privilege/

    (H/T: College Fix)



    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...our-privilege/
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 04.30.14 at 02:46 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    If you're a student at Princeton (no matter your colour) you've probably led a pretty privileged life so this guy should shut the fuck up about his hard scrabble back story. His grandparents had a tough life - he didnt. He's had an amazing life thanks to his grandparents and parents.

    I'm tired of people complaining how their group is hard done by (see Jackson, Jesse) because of the white man, and I'm even more tired of white dudes telling me about how hard done by they are (see far too many white dudes). Here's a thought, you're at Princeton - save your editorials for something along the lines of "thank you mom and dad for making this possible" and then get back to your studies you spoiled little prick. And don't ever forget how fucking lucky you are.

  3. #3
    Hot sauce on everything Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.07.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,864
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Likes
    304
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    If you're a student at Princeton (no matter your colour) you've probably led a pretty privileged life so this guy should shut the fuck up about his hard scrabble back story. His grandparents had a tough life - he didnt. He's had an amazing life thanks to his grandparents and parents.

    I'm tired of people complaining how their group is hard done by (see Jackson, Jesse) because of the white man, and I'm even more tired of white dudes telling me about how hard done by they are (see far too many white dudes). Here's a thought, you're at Princeton - save your editorials for something along the lines of "thank you mom and dad for making this possible" and then get back to your studies you spoiled little prick. And don't ever forget how fucking lucky you are.
    What an absolutely arrogant post. Intentional, perhaps?

    He acknowledged that his family went through tough times so he could have it better. Not sure what value you're offering by admonishing him for something he already covered. He certainly shouldn't apologize to anyone for being in the exact position his family wanted for him for generations prior. See, that's kind of the point of it all.

    You make the exact assumptions he's speaking out against. Do you really think Princeton doesn't accept students who qualified based upon nothing but the merits of their own academic preparation? You assume everyone is there because of their privileged life? You don't have any basis for your allegation in that regard.

    Perhaps most unbelievable is your attitude that this student shouldn't have a voice, and he should simply not respond to any false accusations that are cast his way based upon his race, and all of the assumptions that go along with them. Not to mention, the level of biting vitriol you deploy in insulting the "spoiled little prick" is simply an attempt to add fiery emphasis to the errant and unfounded points you're trying to make, sir.

    Quite frankly, you can do much better than this, Mike. I've seen it myself.

    Which brings me back to the thought that perhaps your post was intentionally baiting and designed to attract the precise response I've given. If that's the case, well done, although I don't see what the accomplishment could possibly be.
    Last edited by Red; 04.30.14 at 04:38 PM.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk bklynboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    18,847
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Likes
    12,936
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    If you're a student at Princeton (no matter your colour) you've probably led a pretty privileged life so this guy should shut the fuck up about his hard scrabble back story. His grandparents had a tough life - he didnt. He's had an amazing life thanks to his grandparents and parents.
    So because he wasn't the one who was put in a concentration camp by Nazis, he should "shut the fuck up" and accept being insulted by being told to "check his privilege"? From his description, he didn't seem to have a privileged life. Somehow he must pay because hard work and determination against insurmountable odds freed his family and allowed them to pass that on to him?

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'm tired of people complaining how their group is hard done by (see Jackson, Jesse) because of the white man, and I'm even more tired of white dudes telling me about how hard done by they are (see far too many white dudes). Here's a thought, you're at Princeton - save your editorials for something along the lines of "thank you mom and dad for making this possible" and then get back to your studies you spoiled little prick. And don't ever forget how fucking lucky you are.
    Yeah, I'm tired of white liberals thinking they know what's best for minorities by creating programs that enslave them. The guy intelligently responded to being insulted with an editorial and he's a "spoiled little prick" according to you. This young man doesn't have to apologize for his lot in life any more than any minority does for theirs.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,554
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:04 PM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    So because he wasn't the one who was put in a concentration camp by Nazis, he should "shut the fuck up" and accept being insulted by being told to "check his privilege"? From his description, he didn't seem to have a privileged life. Somehow he must pay because hard work and determination against insurmountable odds freed his family and allowed them to pass that on to him?



    Yeah, I'm tired of white liberals thinking they know what's best for minorities by creating programs that enslave them. The guy intelligently responded to being insulted with an editorial and he's a "spoiled little prick" according to you. This young man doesn't have to apologize for his lot in life any more than any minority does for theirs.
    Liberals think they know what is best for EVERYONE. And what is best for whites is to kiss minorities (mostly blacks because that is what it is really about) ass endlessly. Liberals are going to get what they want shortly. Whites will no longer will be the majority and they will have to look toward someone else to blame everything on.

    Maybe liberals should give their cars, house, clothes and spouse to a minority. Maybe it will make them feel better about their privilege.

    Liberals want to tell everyone about how we are all the same, but that conveniently changes when they want to lecture white people about all of this privilege that they have.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 04.30.14 at 04:59 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  6. #6
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    What an absolutely arrogant post. Intentional, perhaps?

    He acknowledged that his family went through tough times so he could have it better. Not sure what value you're offering by admonishing him for something he already covered. He certainly shouldn't apologize to anyone for being in the exact position his family wanted for him for generations prior. See, that's kind of the point of it all.

    You make the exact assumptions he's speaking out against. Do you really think Princeton doesn't accept students who qualified based upon nothing but the merits of their own academic preparation? You assume everyone is there because of their privileged life? You don't have any basis for your allegation in that regard.

    Perhaps most unbelievable is your attitude that this student shouldn't have a voice, and he should simply not respond to any false accusations that are cast his way based upon his race, and all of the assumptions that go along with them. Not to mention, the level of biting vitriol you deploy in insulting the "spoiled little prick" is simply an attempt to add fiery emphasis to the errant and unfounded points you're trying to make, sir.

    Quite frankly, you can do much better than this, Mike. I've seen it myself.

    Which brings me back to the thought that perhaps your post was intentionally baiting and designed to attract the precise response I've given. If that's the case, well done, although I don't see what the accomplishment could possibly be.
    you completely missed my point Red.

    This is a student at an Ivy League School in the richest nation in the world bemoaning that the fact that is he considered privileged. He is the pure definition of the word privilege. What percentage of people born in this world have the opporunity to even dream of an Ivy League education? Never mind have the God-given brain power and the family to make this possible. We are talking about the smallest percentage imaginable. Instead of being grateful of this position he feels the need to cry against the accusation of privilege. This is so sad and shows off just how removed from reality this young man is.
    As I mentioned in my post (pehaps you missed it) every student (just not white ones) who are attending Ivy League schools are privileged. They should understand how lucky they are. This young man (based on that article) just doesn't seem to get that. Check your privilege indeed. One day hopefully he truly understands how lucky he is.

  7. #7
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    So because he wasn't the one who was put in a concentration camp by Nazis, he should "shut the fuck up" and accept being insulted by being told to "check his privilege"? From his description, he didn't seem to have a privileged life. Somehow he must pay because hard work and determination against insurmountable odds freed his family and allowed them to pass that on to him?


    Yeah, I'm tired of white liberals thinking they know what's best for minorities by creating programs that enslave them. The guy intelligently responded to being insulted with an editorial and he's a "spoiled little prick" according to you. This young man doesn't have to apologize for his lot in life any more than any minority does for theirs.
    I'm also tired of white liberals thinking they know what's best for minorities too. Not that it has anything to do with this article. I also love the colour purple.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk bklynboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    18,847
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Likes
    12,936
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'm also tired of white liberals thinking they know what's best for minorities too. Not that it has anything to do with this article. I also love the colour purple.
    You also seem to support the idea that because of his skin color, (the idiots who insulted him probably have no idea of his background) he should accept being insulted in this manner. The idea that this young man needs to apologize for who he is asinine.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    You also seem to support the idea that because of his skin color, (the idiots who insulted him probably have no idea of his background) he should accept being insulted in this manner. The idea that this young man needs to apologize for who he is asinine.


    I said nothing that should lead you to believe that any of that is true. If a black Princeton student wrote that then my response would have been the same.

    I drill into my son on a regular basis to never forget how lucky he is, how privileged if you wish. This young man seems to need to learn that same lesson. As do other Princeton students who have the balls to mouth such a term.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk bklynboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Posts
    18,847
    Favorite VH Album

    The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Likes
    12,936
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I said nothing that should lead you to believe that any of that is true. If a black Princeton student wrote that then my response would have been the same.
    So then you see nothing wrong with the actions of the University towards this young man.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

    "Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

    'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

    "I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

    "My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

    "But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

  11. #11
    Eruption Dr5115's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.04.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,295
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Likes
    172
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I don't see anything wrong with what this guy said. It isn't anyone's fault that they were born to certain people, rich or poor, black or white.

    Because someone is a white male does not mean that their work ethic sucks. Equal opportunity has in some cases led to reverse discrimination. How's that for irony?

    It seems everyone wants equality; well, do we really? Should someone who works harder than another really be compensated equally?

    I don't understand society being so jealous of others. Work hard and chances are you will succeed, it's not rocket science.

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    So then you see nothing wrong with the actions of the University towards this young man.
    and what actions would those be?

    If another Princeton student tells him to "check his privilege" then the response of "check your mirror" should be immediate. There's something comical about two ivy league students debating who's more fortunate.

    Perhaps this is just my Catholic upbringinge. We weren't called privileged, we were called blessed. We were blessed with so much that others didn't have. And the smart ones among us understood how lucky we were. It doesn't sound like he gets that. Or maybe he does get and he a terrible job showing it. I don't know. But while some might think what he wrote was great. To me is just sounded like the words of a spoiled inmature young man.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,554
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:04 PM
    Likes
    573
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I think if you bust your ass in life you have every right to say you worked hard and not that you were lucky or privileged. People should feel rewarded for working hard in life, but it seems like liberals want successful people to feel guilty about being successful so that some other people can feel better about themselves. Screw that.

    The people that have less should admire and strive to be like the successful people instead of asking them to feel "lucky" for their success.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  14. #14
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,157
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I think if you bust your ass in life you have every right to say you worked hard and not that you were lucky or privileged. People should feel rewarded for working hard in life, but it seems like liberals want successful people to feel guilty about being successful so that some other people can feel better about themselves. Screw that.

    The people that have less should admire and strive to be like the successful people instead of asking them to feel "lucky" for their success.
    i agreed with you until you went on one of your usual anti-liberal routine.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    How does one bust their ass and work hard to become a white kid in America going to an ivy league school?

    You can't choose what life you are born into. His parents and grandparents busted their ass to get him here. Good for him. He has nothing to apologize for but he has nothing to bitch about either.

    Maybe this kid should transfer to Duke

    I don't say "check your privilege" because ..............

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. explaining white privilege to a broke white person
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01.15.14, 05:35 AM
  2. Entrepreneurship: The Ultimate White Privilege?
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08.21.13, 07:04 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09.11.12, 05:47 PM
  4. California student punished for a "Bless You" response to a sneeze...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10.01.11, 12:38 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.01.08, 12:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •