Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 113 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts

The new 2014 kramers are showing up in store computers for ordering finally, I ordered a white 84 to stripe up into a 5150... I would have had a satin 5150 tour model from Meanstreet if Mitch didn't screw me around earlier this year...

Eruption
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 11:00 AM
    Liked 279 Times in 151 Posts

I could run down there and check it out in the morning. If you're still interested, call them, confirm it's there and then PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Stumbled upon this striped Wolfgang on Guitar Center's used site. Looks pretty neat! If it had a Floyd I'd be all over it. I wonder if it was striped by a fan or if its one of the Wolfgang prototypes that has slipped out of the Scottsdale office? Anyone near Tempe, AZ want to go have a look at this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-Used...98-i3784049.gc

Last Online

02.20.19 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 4,282 Times in 1,627 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I could run down there and check it out in the morning. If you're still interested, call them, confirm it's there and then PM me.

Thanks for the offer! They called me back yesterday, and it's already been sold. Sounded like it went pretty quickly. Thanks again.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Default Girl Gone Bad Tuning?

Does anyone know what guitar tuning Eddie uses in Girl Gone Bad? I know it is in standard (although it actually sounds a little sharp to me) but I can't tell whether or not he has the B-string flattened, as he usually does; I also considered that he might have flattened both the high E and B. The reason I ask this is that I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting the chords to sound in tune. He definitely plays (or taps) these chords at various points in the song:

--
    --
    --

--
    --
    --

--

--
    --

My question is, how does he get all of these to sound in tune? If you just flatten the B-string, the first two sound right, but the third sounds awful. With no strings flattened, the second can not sound right and the first is extremely difficult (my fingers are too fat to fret the notes individually and bend them to match each other, so I have to barre it). Flatten both and the fourth sounds terrible when doing the tapped harmonics at the beginning. I have also reintonated my guitar to make sure that was not the cause. Does anyone have any advice?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.26.18 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 631 Times in 394 Posts

I actually went over this on the MetroAmp forum...I have an entire thread on how to tune to various Van Halen recordings, including some of the most complicated ones like "Running With The Devil", "You Really Got Me" and "Panama" which have seperate strings that are out of tune with each other (ie all six strings are not in one uniform tuning.)

Anyway, I use a Peterson StroboPlusHD tuner which has a variable cent feature. This way I can quantify exactly how much the pitch varies on the recordings. I highly recommend getting a Peterson StroboPlusHD tuner...it is probably the best tuner on the market and it is relatively inexpensive. The Peterson strobe tuners also have an exclusive "Sweetened" setting that will make tiny adjustments from chromatic tuning that are designed for specific instruments and their physical properties...for example there are "Sweetened" settings for 6-string electric guitar (this is the most commonly used setting and it is the setting I use for all my 6-string electric tuning notations), 12-string guitar, mandolin, bazouki...literally dozens of instruments that have specific preset "Sweetened" settings that work specifically for all these various instruments.

Once you have a Peterson StroboPlusHD or a Peterson StroboStomp or another Peterson strobe tuner that has the ability to change the cent reference, you will be able to use the tunings I have notated and you can use your own ears and the Peterson strobe tuner to get the exact tunings for any recording that you are learning from.

Now for the answer to your question...

"Girl Gone Bad" is actually pretty easy to tune to...unlike "Running With The Devil" or "You Really Got Me", there is no "beatless third" flattening of the B-string or any situation where one or more strings are out of tune with each other. All the strings are tuned together as normal, but there is an overall pitch reference that differs from standard A=440.

With a Peterson strobe tuner, use the "Sweetened GTR" setting...this is Peterson's sweetened setting for 6-string electric guitar. Once this mode is selected, use the variable cent pitch reference feature to change the cent reading to +14.5 cents up from the "0.0" default cent setting. Once you have done this you will find you are perfectly in tune with the recording from the 1984 album...as long as your guitar is set up and intonated correctly either by you or by a qualified guitar technician.

I used my Gibson '58 reissue Flying V to tune to the recording...this is a guitar which has basically the same physical properties as the original '58 Gibson Flying V that Ed used on the original recording.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.26.14 at 09:03 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.19.19 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I actually went over this on the MetroAmp forum...I have an entire thread on how to tune to various Van Halen recordings, including some of the most complicated ones like "Running With The Devil", "You Really Got Me" and "Panama" which have seperate strings that are out of tune with each other (ie all six strings are not in one uniform tuning.)

Anyway, I use a Peterson StroboPlusHD tuner which has a variable cent feature. This way I can quantify exactly how much the pitch varies on the recordings. I highly recommend getting a Peterson StroboPlusHD tuner...it is probably the best tuner on the market and it is relatively inexpensive. The Peterson strobe tuners also have an exclusive "Sweetened" setting that will make tiny adjustments from chromatic tuning that are designed for specific instruments and their physical properties...for example there are "Sweetened" settings for 6-string electric guitar (this is the most commonly used setting and it is the setting I use for all my 6-string electric tuning notations), 12-string guitar, mandolin, bazouki...literally dozens of instruments that have specific preset "Sweetened" settings that work specifically for all these various instruments.

Once you have a Peterson StroboPlusHD or a Peterson StroboStomp or another Peterson strobe tuner that has the ability to change the cent reference, you will be able to use the tunings I have notated and you can use your own ears and the Peterson strobe tuner to get the exact tunings for any recording that you are learning from.

Now for the answer to your question...

"Girl Gone Bad" is actually pretty easy to tune to...unlike "Running With The Devil" or "You Really Got Me", there is no "beatless third" flattening of the B-string or any situation where one or more strings are out of tune with each other. All the strings are tuned together as normal, but there is an overall pitch reference that differs from standard A=440.

With a Peterson strobe tuner, use the "Sweetened GTR" setting...this is Peterson's sweetened setting for 6-string electric guitar. Once this mode is selected, use the variable cent pitch reference feature to change the cent reading to +14.5 cents up from the "0.0" default cent setting. Once you have done this you will find you are perfectly in tune with the recording from the 1984 album...as long as your guitar is set up and intonated correctly either by you or by a qualified guitar technician.

I used my Gibson '58 reissue Flying V to tune to the recording...this is a guitar which has basically the same physical properties as the original '58 Gibson Flying V that Ed used on the original recording.
    Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't have a Peterson tuner... I'll have to find some way to get sweetened tuning without one.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by speates View Post
    Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't have a Peterson tuner... I'll have to find some way to get sweetened tuning without one.
    I highly recommend spending $140 on a Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner. If you really want to be perfectly in tune with any recording that you are studying and if you really want to be in tune in general it's the best solution.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 105 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Live 2014 - new reverse headstock on the prime strat...

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

Question about applying the Kramer waterslide decal to the headstock. The directions that came with it seem pretty straightforward but are there any tricks to it? How important to use clear coat after? I wasn't planning on stripping the headstock down from the hardware again so if I could avoid that step I'd like to.
    Last edited by Double Down; 11.18.14 at 02:03 PM.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Question about applying the Kramer waterslide decal to the headstock. The directions that came with it seem pretty straightforward but are there any tricks to it? How important to use clear coat after? I wasn't planning on stripping the headstock down from the hardware again so if I could avoid that step I'd like to.
    If you are doing a painted headstock without any clear coat you can just apply the decal following the directions that came with the sticker, but one tip I learned from the guys that do my custom painting and finish work is that you want to expose the area where the sticker has been applied to UV light for a few hours. Supposedly this makes the adhesive stick better.

If you are clear coating the headstock (which usually means you have clear coated the body as well) then you do need to apply 2 or 3 coats of clear. If you are trying for a finished professional look this is extremely important.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Helpful info. Thanks.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Cool pic of Ed with Rick Nielsen that I've never seen before that someone posted on Facebook...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

02.17.19 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 462 Times in 253 Posts

M*U*L*E

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Question for you guys that do builds...

I got another body from KnE exactly the same as I did a year ago. This time however I was able to push the bushings in with my finger. I can pull them up or push them down without too much trouble. When I tighten them with the wrench they move lower than I want them to be. I have the height set now exactly the same as my current setup which is perfect. Last time I had to hammer them down and once they were in there there was no moving them. They're in there for good.

So my question is will this be a problem with the Floyds stability? It looks to me like the angle the Floyd hits the bushings up and down shouldn't be an issue because it's not a straight up and down motion. But I'm not sure. I'm a little confused how the same builder could give me two different scenarios. I would think it would be standard one way or another.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 15,301 Times in 6,629 Posts

So you're talking about the Floyd post bushings? You didn't need to hammer them in?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!