Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default Congress Call for Investigation of VA That Reportedly Denied Vets Medical Attention

DISGUSTING!

Apr. 25, 2014 11:07am

Why is this happening to me? Why won’t anybody help me?” 71-year-old U.S. Navy veteran Thomas Breen asked his family as his health deteriorated, his years-long struggle with cancer nearing its end.

The veteran’s daughter-in-law recalled his final months in an interview with CNN: “At the end is when he suffered. He screamed. He cried. And that’s somethin’ I’d never seen him do before, was cry. Never. Never. He cried in the kitchen right here. ‘Don’t let me die.’”

Before losing his battle with stage 4 bladder cancer and passing away on Nov. 30, 2013, Breen and his family tried again and again to seek medical help from the Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care system. But along with thousands of other veterans who gave their youth and energy to serve their country, Breen was reportedly placed on a “secret list” and told to wait.

Breen is one of at least 40 U.S. veterans who died while waiting for treatment, CNN reported, suggesting that the Phoenix VA used the “secret list” to stage a cover-up.

“These are extremely disturbing allegations,” Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, said Thursday. “If proven true, these charges will only add to the growing pattern of preventable veteran deaths and patient safety incidents at VA medical centers across the country that are united by one common theme: VA’s extreme reluctance to hold its employees and executives accountable.”

Members of the Senate concurred with Miller, with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) vowing to hold hearings on the matter.

“I am troubled when I hear that any veteran may have received substandard service from VA,” Sanders, chairman of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee said Thursday. “We, as a nation, have a commitment to provide timely, quality health care to veterans, and I am determined to assist VA in meeting this responsibility.”

The “secret list,” according to the CNN report, is no mistake. Rather, it is an “elaborate scheme” meant to hide from the federal government the fact that nearly 1,600 ailing veterans have been forced to wait for months on end for medical attention.

“The scheme was deliberately put in place to avoid the VA’s own internal rules,” Sam Foote, a retired doctor who spent 24 years working for the Phoenix VA hospital, told CNN, adding that the list is the invention of hospital management. “They developed the secret waiting list.”

There are two lists that the Phoenix VA uses for patient appointments, the retired doctor said. There’s an “official list,” which shows that veterans are being provided timely and effective medical care.

“So then when they did that, they would report to Washington, ‘Oh yeah. We’re makin’ our appointments within — within 10 days, within the 14-day frame,’” Foote said.

Then there’s the “secret” list, which accurately reflects the fact that veterans are being forced to wait months for medical care. Some have been forced to wait “six, nine, in some cases 21 months,” Foote said.

It appears that Phoenix VA Director Sharon Helman, who received a $9,345 bonus in 2013, in addition to her annual salary of $169,900, according to the Washington Free Beacon, is aware of the long wait times and the group’s used of a secret waiting list, according to documents reviewed by TheBlaze. In fact, according to at least one internal email, the Phoenix VA director appeared to defend the use of the so-called “secret list.”

Helman has vowed to cooperate with the proper authorities.

“It is disheartening to hear allegations about Veterans care being compromised,” the VA director said in a statement, “and we are open to any collaborative discussion that assists in our goal to continually improve patient care.”

Part of the secret wait list scheme, Foote said, involves shredding documents. Some employees are even instructed to pretend to schedule veterans for appointments. For example, when a veteran seeks medical attention, a VA employee would “enter information into the computer and do a screen capture hard copy printout. They then do not save what was put into the computer so there’s no record that you were ever here,” he said.

Accurate information regarding when veterans first started waiting for treatment is then destroyed, as a phony list takes its place.

“That hard copy, if you will, that has the patient demographic information is then taken and placed onto a secret electronic waiting list, and then the data that is on that paper is shredded,” Foote said.

“So the only record that you have ever been there requesting care was on that secret list,” he added. “And they wouldn’t take you off that secret list until you had an appointment time that was less than 14 days so it would give the appearance that they were improving greatly the waiting times, when in fact they were not.”

Approximately 1,600 sick veterans have been left to wait on the “secret list,” Foote said. And when a veteran on the waiting list dies, his name is simply removed.

“They could just remove you from that list, and there’s no record that you ever came to the VA and presented for care. … It’s pretty sad,” the retired doctor said.

The Phoenix VA said in an official statement: “We have conducted robust internal reviews since these allegations surfaced and welcome the results from the Office of Inspector General’s review. We take these allegations seriously.”

CNN reported Foote’s claims were later confirmed by additional VA sources. The VA Office of Inspector General will investigate the matter starting next week.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ing-40-to-die/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/23/health...h-care-delays/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I have said it a bunch of times on here. How we treat our veterans in this country, in which we ask them to risk life and limb in a foreign shit hole for little more than minimum wage, is despicable.

I know, no one put a gun to their head to sign up, but hey, not everyone can be a fucking surgeon, attorney or stockbroker. The least we can do is take care of them when they come back.

I would support any political candidate that made our veterans a priority. Candidates pay lip service to it, and then once in office send them off to a fucking nightmare for years at a time and offer them little more than a pat on the back when they return home, if they even do make it back.

Sorry, but this is just a sore subject for me.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Where's the maverick war hawk McCain on this?? It's his state.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

He's too busy playing "words with friends".
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Great. Senate hearings. That should do a lot of good.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

In 14 months, I'll have to get all my medical care from the VA. I'm a little nervous. Maybe I should book appointments now so I can be seen in 18 months.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Since the government is paying for the care anyway, maybe they should just allow these vets to go to whatever hospital they choose and then the government can reimburse the hospital for the care.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Senators call for VA secretary's resignation amid mounting scandals

Two U.S. senators called Tuesday for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki to resign over a string of scandals involving the treatment of U.S. servicemembers, with one demanding an overhaul "from top to bottom" at the agency. 

Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., issued a call Tuesday morning for Shinseki to resign on the Senate floor, a day after the American Legion demanded Shinseki's resignation, along with that of other top VA officials. Some influential lawmakers and groups, including the Veterans of Foreign Wars, have been reluctant to go that far, but Moran echoed the American Legion in saying VA leadership needs to change. 

"It's clear that accountability at VA is absent, oversight doesn't mean much," Moran, a member of the Veterans Affairs Committee, said on the floor. "There's a difference in wanting change and leading it to happen. Today I am demanding accountability and true transformation within the VA system in its culture from top to bottom and all across the country. Secretary Shinseki seemingly is unwilling or unable to do so, and change must be made at the top. 

"I ask the secretary to submit his resignation, and I ask President Obama to accept that resignation," he said. 

He was followed later in the day by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who said in a statement the White House needs to get to the bottom of what happened and Shinseki's time as secretary "has come to an end."

"The president needs to find a new leader to lead this organization out of the wilderness, and back to providing the service our veterans deserve," Cornyn said. 

The White House released a statement on Monday, in response to the growing controversy, standing by Shinseki and saying the president "remains confident in Secretary Shinseki's ability to lead the department." 

Other lawmakers have pushed back on the calls for resignations at the top. 

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., chairman of the Veterans Affairs Committee, said: "While it might be temporarily satisfying to call for firing someone, it doesn't get us any closer to the truth or solve problems that may exist." 

On the Republican side of the aisle, House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., said he would wait until the results of an inspector general investigation on a scandal in Phoenix "before deciding to call for any personnel changes." 

"This much is clear: for nearly a year, we have been pleading with top department leaders and President Obama to take immediate steps to stop the growing pattern of preventable veteran deaths and hold accountable any and all VA employees who have allowed patients to slip through the cracks," he said. 

VA officials at a Phoenix facility have been accused of keeping a secret list of patients waiting for appointments to hide treatment delays. In that case, up to 40 patients allegedly may have died because of delays. 

In light of those accusations, three executives at the veterans hospital in Phoenix were placed last week on administrative leave amid an investigation. 

Phoenix VA officials have denied any knowledge of a secret list and said they had found no evidence of patient deaths due to delayed care. 

In response to the American Legion's call for resignations, VA spokesman Drew Brookie said the department takes allegations about misconduct seriously, and "swift and appropriate action will be taken" if the probe backs up the allegations. 

Brookie said the department has made "strong progress" under Shinseki toward enrolling more veterans in high-quality health care and providing educational benefits, among other areas. "As the secretary says, providing veterans the quality care and benefits they have earned through their service is our only mission at VA," Brookie said. 

The most recent blow to the VA was a report that a Colorado clinic allegedly falsified documents to make it seem like patients were being seen in a timely fashion. 

The findings were contained in a report by the VA Office of Medical Inspector. The report found that staff who did not go along with this were placed on a "bad boy list." 

A VA spokesman, in response to the findings, said that in every area where the investigation substantiated allegations, "a plan with clearly defined objectives was developed with set deadlines for compliance, and corrective actions are ongoing." 

The spokesman noted that "there is no indication that health outcomes were affected." 
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 05.06.14 at 03:45 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

7 WARNINGS OBAMA IGNORED ON THE VA...INCLUDING HIS OWN

On Tuesday, the Washington Post revealed a memorandum dated April 26, 2010, sent from the Deputy Undersecretary for Health for Operations and Management (10N) to Network Director (10N1-23). That memo spelled out 17 methods being used by VA hospitals to cover up long wait times. Those tactics included:

Telling veterans to call back after 30 days so that they would not appear in the records as having waited longer than 30 days;

Use of a manual logging system;

Creation and cancellation of new patient visits, marking those cancellations as “cancelled by patient” rather than “cancelled by clinic.”

The list goes on and on.

The White House claimed that it was utterly unaware of the memo, although Dr. Robert Petzel, the top health official at the Veterans Administration, admitted, “It’s absolutely inexcusable.”

So, what did the Obama administration know and when did it know it?

It knew, according to a 2008 briefing memo from the Department of Veterans Affairs, that the waiting times reported from the VA were not reliable:

“This is not only a data integrity issue in which [Veterans Health Administration] reports unreliable performance data; it affects quality of care by delaying — and potentially denying — deserving veterans timely care.” Such problems, the document stated, “are systemic throughout the VHA.”

In 2007, then-Senator Obama, running for president, acknowledged massive problems within the VA. “No veteran should have to fill out a 23-page claim to get care, or wait months - even years - to get an appointment at the VA,” he told the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He continued:

When we fail to keep faith with our veterans, the bond between our nation and our nation's heroes becomes frayed. When a veteran is denied care, we are all dishonored. It's not enough to lay a wreath on Memorial Day, or to pay tribute to our veterans in speeches. A proud and grateful nation owes more than ceremonial gestures and kind words.

Caring for those who serve - and for their families - is a fundamental responsibility of the Commander-in-Chief.

He concluded, “The VA will also be at the cutting edge of my plan for universal health care.”

But Obama now claims that he was only informed of bureaucratic snafus from the newspapers. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney stated that the Phoenix falsifications of wait lists were news to Obama:

We learned about them through the reports. I will double check if that is not the case. But that is when we learned about them and that is when I understand Secretary Shinseki learned about them, and he immediately took the action that he has taken.

Apparently he was reading the wrong newspapers. Problems with veteran wait times have been heavily covered by the media for years. In 2010, the Los Angeles Times wrote:

Some veterans wait up to six months to get their initial VA medical appointment. The typical veteran of the Iraq or Afghanistan wars waits 110 days for a disability claim to be processed, with a few waiting up to a year. For all veterans, the average wait is 161 days. The VA says a ruling on an appeal of a disability rating takes more than 600 days on average. The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, or IAVA, an advocacy group, says the average delay is 776 days. Up to 17% of veterans' disability ratings are incorrect, the VA says. Thousands of dollars in disability payments hinge on the ratings, which are determined by the VA. The agency says it hopes to eventually cut the error rate to 2%.

In February 2013, lawmakers accused the VA of covering up five veteran deaths from Legionnaires’ disease, with Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) stating, “This has got the federal government’s footprints all over it. I am stunned at the coordination that took place and that is occurring at the highest levels of government to try and counter the blame.” The VA originally claimed that a minor Legionnaires’ outbreak had killed no one.

In March 2013, a whistleblower told the Daily Beast that the VA “routinely disseminated false information about the health of America’s veterans, withheld research showing a link between nerve gas and Gulf War syndrome, rushed studies out the door without taking recommended fixes by an independent board, and failed to offer crucial care to veterans who came forward as suicidal.” The whistleblower said that his bosses responded by attempting to intimidate and silence him, and that he was even admonished. He said that almost 2,000 suicidal veterans did not receive proper follow-up.

In November 2013, CNN reported:

Military veterans are dying needlessly because of long waits and delayed care at U.S. veterans hospitals… Military veterans are dying needlessly because of long waits and delayed care at U.S. veterans hospitals, a CNN investigation has found. What's worse, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is aware of the problems and has done almost nothing to effectively prevent veterans dying from delays in care.”

CNN reported at least six patient deaths at just one facility. Money was even given to the VA to fix the problem. It wasn’t fixed. Debra Draper at the Government Accountability Office explained, “Long wait times and a weak scheduling policy and process have been persistent problems for the VA, and both the GAO and the VA's (inspector general) have been reporting on these issues for more than a decade.”

So, what did President Obama know, and when did he know it? He knew plenty. And he had plenty of time to do something about it. He just didn’t. And crocodile tears now come too little too late.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...2010//?print=1

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Obama-ignored
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 05.22.14 at 05:24 PM.

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was in the Navy for six years and did not come within an ICBM's distance of any combat. That by itself should not entitle me to VA heath-care unless they find some heretofore undiscovered health risk associated with where I served (since I was on a submarine for three years, I suppose that is not far-fetched). VA care should be mostly devoted to combat vets (of which we unfortunately seem determined to constantly replenish our stock), other service-related injuries and disabilities, and military retirees.

Knowing some people who work at VA's, it appears, in my characterization not theirs, that a not-insignificant portion of the patient load is, to try to put this delicately, fat, drunken, drug-addled, chain-smoking slugs who served much less time than did I in considerably less dangerous circumstances.

I'll bet if they devoted all their resources on the service members they should, the VA's problems would disappear.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

I'm a veteran and I feel that your length of service time should not matter. If for whatever reason a veteran falls on hard times and he or she needs healthcare, then they should receive it from our pitiful, disgusting, VA hospitals. Our government treats veterans like crap for the most part and that needs to change. I don't care how you became ill, you already paid the tab by serving.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I took care of my uncle when he had a stroke and ended up in a VA hospital. It was disturbing

every month he got a new doctor who would do a medical history on him, and every month he told them he was concerned about a lump on his neck. and they would do nothing..he did not tell me this until after his discharge.

just before discharging him after over 4 months in the hospital they finally did a needle biopsy, He had cancer. they sent him home and scheduled a followup for 2 months later for an endoscopy and biopsy

that's when I started taking care of him. We showed up at the VA hospital and they did not have him on the surgical schedule and told me that a 2 month wait for a biopsy was not a bad thing....I told the doctor that a 4 plus month wait for someone to do a needle biopsy followed by a 2 month wait to find that he was not on the schedule and being told that he would be rescheduled for another month out equaled a 7 month delay and that if they did not put him on the schedule that day they would find that the only way I was leaving with him was going to be in a police car and that I had friends in television news and would make sure that our ride in a police car would be on the local news

they did his biopsy.

but then they couldn't do his radiation therapy because their machine was broken and the only way they could do therapy on the VA patients was to take them to UM Ann Arbor in the middle of the night when UM wasn't using the equipement!!! radiation therapy at 3 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

due to his stroke I was able to get him on Medicaid and then I could take him to a different oncologist and that is where he got his treatment.

oh and get this..after the needle biopsy, but before discharge they removed all his teeth because they said radiation therapy would destroy his teeth and scheduled him for a denture fitting...but then they immediately discharged him, and then said they could not fit him with dentures because they were only permitted to fit dentures for inpatient clients!

huh? he already had swallowing and chewing problems because of the stroke, and now no dentures...I got him seen by a private dentist

an insider at the VA told me to always hand carry a copy of the medical records out of the clinic because other wise they would always "lose them" and never transfer them to a doctor outside of the VA...the "insider" was a guy in the medical records department

oh and while I was there waiting for my uncle to have his biopsy I heard another patients wife go ballistic on the same ENT surgeon that was treating my uncle. Apparently the surgeon did the wrong surgery on the guy..mistakenly undoing a surgery that the guy had already had and now the patient was completely deaf....and going to have to have at least three more surgeries to undo the damage the latest surgery had just done.

My overall impression of the VA system was of Doctors and staff wanting to do the right thing for their patients but being so burdened with the problems in the system that they were not able to

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I can't stand Rockefeller from West Virginia, no surprise he voted for it.

He's a dope.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I love how Rockefeller is quick to call racism against anyone who disagrees with Obama, but he had no problem working with Senator Byrd for decades.

Fucking hypocrite.