Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default The Official Rand Paul Thread...

I agree. I want a toilet powered by an old 747 engine.

Lightbulbs, toilets, and Rand Paul's potty mouth
    By Alexandra Petri

Rand Paul's toilets don't work, and he knows who's to blame. Not Aqua Buddha. The Government!

"I've been waiting for 20 years to talk about how bad these toilets are," Rand Paul (R-Ky.) exclaimed during a hearing on energy Thursday morning.

"Frankly, my toilets don't work in my house, and I blame you, and people like you," said Mr. Paul to Kathleen Hogan, deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency at the Energy Department.

"You favor a woman's right to an abortion, but you don't favor a woman or a man's right to choose what kind of light bulb, what kind of dishwasher, what kind of washing machine. I really find it troubling, this busy-body nature, that you want to come into my house, my bathroom, my bedroom, my kitchen, my laundry room -- I just really find it insulting."

He had a lot to say about the new toilets: "We don't even save money! We flush them 10 times! They don't work!"

I guess one of the perks of being an elected official is that you get to show up at hearings and complain about your toilets. This makes me want to run for office, because I have a lot of problems with my toilet, and the American people need to know! Also, the McDonald's near my home no longer carries the McRib, and I think my cat has a rash.

And I blame the government! It is always showing up at my house to replace things that I like with things that I like less. It does this through a process it likes to call "regulation" and I like to call "unnecessarily confiscating my pet giant lump of burning dirty plutonium-coal-toxic-waste." One afternoon I came home and noticed that The Government was in my kitchen filling all my mayonnaise jars with Miracle Whip. That's the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!

The Government loves interfering with all my hobbies, which are roughly described by the phrase "using endangered animals to hunt other endangered animals while leaving my faucet running." But it's gone too far! First they came for the toilets, making them more efficient and less exciting, for thrill-seekers like me who liked to feel we were doing our business on something that could, if required, engulf the city of Detroit in a single flush.

But light bulbs -- well, that's a bridge too far. I may not be burning twice as bright and half as long, but I'd like my light bulbs to have that opportunity! Thomas Edison didn't do all that perspiring so The Government could come replace my bulbs with the little pig-tailed ones.

So Paul really spoke for me. "I can't buy the old light bulbs," he railed. "I can't buy a toilet that works!"

I think Paul's point was that energy efficiency standards affect the kind of products in the market, and that he thinks only the market should determine the kind of products in the market, but nobody else seemed able to figure that out over all the toilet-related exclamations."I can help you find a toilet that works," Hogan offered at one point.

Maybe it's an objection worth exploring. But ranting about his toilet might not be the way to get that point across -- it's the kind of debate that exudes more heat than light. But hey, that's what the old light bulbs used to do, and we all know how he feels about them.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/com...h_or_ever.html
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It comes down to a philosophical difference...

Personally, I don't think (well, after the past few years - KNOW) the market isn't always right. There's a serious problem with only buying what may be the cheapest with no regard to the future.

The "market" is not concerned with the future, it's concerned with the here and now. The MAJORITY of customers are only concerned with what is cheapest - this ranges from Joe Blow buying a bulb at Wal-Mart to (for example) a group of hospitals pooling together (essentially unionizing) and squeezing prices down for suppliers. If the U.S. does in fact completely switch over to more energy efficient bulbs, prices will go down - "the market", and it will greatly help with energy usage - thus reducing power costs for consumers.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    I agree. I want a toilet powered by an old 747 engine.

Lightbulbs, toilets, and Rand Paul's potty mouth
    By Alexandra Petri

Rand Paul's toilets don't work, and he knows who's to blame. Not Aqua Buddha. The Government!

"I've been waiting for 20 years to talk about how bad these toilets are," Rand Paul (R-Ky.) exclaimed during a hearing on energy Thursday morning.

"Frankly, my toilets don't work in my house, and I blame you, and people like you," said Mr. Paul to Kathleen Hogan, deputy assistant secretary for energy efficiency at the Energy Department.

"You favor a woman's right to an abortion, but you don't favor a woman or a man's right to choose what kind of light bulb, what kind of dishwasher, what kind of washing machine. I really find it troubling, this busy-body nature, that you want to come into my house, my bathroom, my bedroom, my kitchen, my laundry room -- I just really find it insulting."

He had a lot to say about the new toilets: "We don't even save money! We flush them 10 times! They don't work!"

I guess one of the perks of being an elected official is that you get to show up at hearings and complain about your toilets. This makes me want to run for office, because I have a lot of problems with my toilet, and the American people need to know! Also, the McDonald's near my home no longer carries the McRib, and I think my cat has a rash.

And I blame the government! It is always showing up at my house to replace things that I like with things that I like less. It does this through a process it likes to call "regulation" and I like to call "unnecessarily confiscating my pet giant lump of burning dirty plutonium-coal-toxic-waste." One afternoon I came home and noticed that The Government was in my kitchen filling all my mayonnaise jars with Miracle Whip. That's the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!

The Government loves interfering with all my hobbies, which are roughly described by the phrase "using endangered animals to hunt other endangered animals while leaving my faucet running." But it's gone too far! First they came for the toilets, making them more efficient and less exciting, for thrill-seekers like me who liked to feel we were doing our business on something that could, if required, engulf the city of Detroit in a single flush.

But light bulbs -- well, that's a bridge too far. I may not be burning twice as bright and half as long, but I'd like my light bulbs to have that opportunity! Thomas Edison didn't do all that perspiring so The Government could come replace my bulbs with the little pig-tailed ones.

So Paul really spoke for me. "I can't buy the old light bulbs," he railed. "I can't buy a toilet that works!"

I think Paul's point was that energy efficiency standards affect the kind of products in the market, and that he thinks only the market should determine the kind of products in the market, but nobody else seemed able to figure that out over all the toilet-related exclamations."I can help you find a toilet that works," Hogan offered at one point.

Maybe it's an objection worth exploring. But ranting about his toilet might not be the way to get that point across -- it's the kind of debate that exudes more heat than light. But hey, that's what the old light bulbs used to do, and we all know how he feels about them.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/com...h_or_ever.html
    The person that wrote that article is an idiot.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_279 View Post
    The person that wrote that article is an idiot.
    I agree.

And I'm with Mr. Paul too. I want a toilet that will flush stuff down. I have nicknamed the toilet in the bathroom off of my bedroom, "The Turd Swirler".
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Rand Paul: My toilet is over-regulated and can't handle my huge turds, but that woman must have that rape baby.

Rand Paul is a fucking loon, just like his daddy.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    It comes down to a philosophical difference...

Personally, I don't think (well, after the past few years - KNOW) the market isn't always right. There's a serious problem with only buying what may be the cheapest with no regard to the future.

The "market" is not concerned with the future, it's concerned with the here and now. The MAJORITY of customers are only concerned with what is cheapest - this ranges from Joe Blow buying a bulb at Wal-Mart to (for example) a group of hospitals pooling together (essentially unionizing) and squeezing prices down for suppliers. If the U.S. does in fact completely switch over to more energy efficient bulbs, prices will go down - "the market", and it will greatly help with energy usage - thus reducing power costs for consumers.
    Just like with everything else, I just see unintended consequences. In order to get the full life of the more expensive bulb, they have to be left on. What if (kind of like how caloric intake increased when calorie counts went on the menus of fast food places in New York), energy use goes UP? Perhaps, even more simply, people will start leaving them on purely because they know they are more efficient.

What about the fact that you can't use them in a lot of fixtures? What do I do with my expensive dimmers in my living room that I can't buy bulbs for?

What about their use in traffic signals? Some cities are having problems in snow because there is not enough heat in the bulb to melt the snow and keep traffic lights visible. Instead, heaters are being developed to heat the bulb. How much sense does that make?

Besides, how would bulbs get cheaper if competition is eliminated from the market? Right now I have a choice between incandescent bulbs and CFL bulbs. Take the cheaper option out, force me to by the other (increasing demand) and the price goes down?

Besides, GE is closing their American plant due to this. 200 people are losing their jobs. CFLs are made almost entirely in China. I'm all for outsourcing, but I cannot imagine the people that are in favor of the government telling me what lightbulbs to use are also in favor of giving jobs to China.

People have had the choice so far and lots have people have CHOSEN to go with CFLs. Some places have installed motion detectors to shut off lights that are unneeded. What was so wrong with that? The market was working.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.15.11 at 04:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    Rand Paul: My toilet is over-regulated and can't handle my huge turds, but that woman must have that rape baby.

Rand Paul is a fucking loon, just like his daddy.
    He may or may not be a loon but frankly he is saying exactly what people have said about the "new low water style" toilets for years. What pisses me off is that in this situation he is truly representing the view of most of us average joe's about government intrusion and he ends up being made to look like a fool by the lady and even his peers on the committee. Who hasn't had or used one of these toilets and had to flush them multiple times even when you don't produce gigantic piles of elephant shit thus defeating the purpose of water conservation.

And he is exactly right about these new shitty light bulbs! They suck so bad and we all know it. You can instantly tell the difference in this poor lighting. So again, what do we have to do to have adequate lighting? Turn on even more lights negating the cost savings.

Save it if you are going to extoll on me all the reasons for these "improvement" products. I agree we should try to conserve but how about products that work and make sense?

Government is out of control! Toilets, light bulbs, smoking bans, smoke alarms, seatbelts, cars and suv's, on and on and on...when will it end? It won't!

Ok...I feel better now...carry on!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

Noooo. You guys are supposed to just read the headline of lefty blogger Alexandra's rant there and then fire off some teabagger jokes. wtf
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    He may or may not be a loon but frankly he is saying exactly what people have said about the "new low water style" toilets for years. What pisses me off is that in this situation he is truly representing the view of most of us average joe's about government intrusion and he ends up being made to look like a fool by the lady and even his peers on the committee. Who hasn't had or used one of these toilets and had to flush them multiple times even when you don't produce gigantic piles of elephant shit thus defeating the purpose of water conservation.

And he is exactly right about these new shitty light bulbs! They suck so bad and we all know it. You can instantly tell the difference in this poor lighting. So again, what do we have to do to have adequate lighting? Turn on even more lights negating the cost savings.

Save it if you are going to extoll on me all the reasons for these "improvement" products. I agree we should try to conserve but how about products that work and make sense?

Government is out of control! Toilets, light bulbs, smoking bans, smoke alarms, seatbelts, cars and suv's, on and on and on...when will it end? It won't!

Ok...I feel better now...carry on!
    The point I made was that Rand Paul is a hypocritical buffoon....he's so fucking concerned about light bulbs and low flow toilets as an affront to "individual freedom", but cares less about a woman's right to choose not to have that rape baby.

And since when is the fucking government coming into your house and forcing you to change your light bulbs? Never. They are mandating these bulbs for government buildings. So, if the light bulbs are truly affecting you, then you must be some worthless government worker with a great pension!! LOL

BTW, the Republicans are removing any of these requirements for government buildings, including the recyclable food-ware in the congressional cafeterias. Anything that promotes conservation, the "conservatives" must be against!!!

Recycling, conservation, its a good idea. I don't see any mandates, other than IMPROVED standards. And yes, smoke alarms and seat belts are fucking important. Without standards and these hippie lawyers, do you know how many deaths would have happened without seat belts over the past 50 years?? How is saving lives an affront to "individual freedom"? Last time I checked, attaining or keeping "freedom" is impossible with the steering wheel lodged in your larynx. And "freedom" is also unattainable without a basic social safety net, which "Ayn" Rand Paul wants to abolish. Apparently, light bulbs and super turd suckers are a top priority in maintaining freedom, but ensuring that grandma doesn't have to eat catfood in her 70's is equivalent to totalitarianism.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

actually, they are phasing out selling traditional light bulbs, starting with the 100 watt next year... I have mixed feelings... I hate LED and gas lights. But I admit, they last longer and use WAY less electricity.

and for fuck sake, they had to put a real heatng element in the easy bake oven this year because no one will be able to buy a 100 watt bulb
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

And since when is the fucking government coming into your house and forcing you to change your light bulbs? Never. They are mandating these bulbs for government buildings. So, if the light bulbs are truly affecting you, then you must be some worthless government worker with a great pension!! LOL
    That's just plain wrong. In 2007, Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. In it, the efficiency rating of light bulbs is changed. Without "banning" them, there is an effective ban on inacadescent lights between 40 and 150 watts, or pretty much what you'd use in your house, by 2012. This is the same law that increases fuel efficiency by 2020.

California started the process of phasing them out for sale in January 2011.

These are standards, or "regulations," one of the reasons Bush was one of the biggest regulators ever (the fact that he was deregulator is a misnomer).

Recycling, conservation, its a good idea. I don't see any mandates, other than IMPROVED standards. And yes, smoke alarms and seat belts are fucking important. Without standards and these hippie lawyers, do you know how many deaths would have happened without seat belts over the past 50 years?? How is saving lives an affront to "individual freedom"? Last time I checked, attaining or keeping "freedom" is impossible with the steering wheel lodged in your larynx. And "freedom" is also unattainable without a basic social safety net, which "Ayn" Rand Paul wants to abolish. Apparently, light bulbs and super turd suckers are a top priority in maintaining freedom, but ensuring that grandma doesn't have to eat catfood in her 70's is equivalent to totalitarianism.
    How is leaving me only CFL bulbs not a mandate? My choice is either to not have light or to use them, so I suppose in that way it is not. I could just sit in the dark at night.

Yes, many of these things are a good idea. But the government often tries to "solve" a problem through laws, mandates, and regulations. Unfortunately, they often make things worse. There are a billion examples.

However, the ultimate choice is not what you say: choosing to take responsibility for your actions is. That includes death if you do not wear a seatbelt. I don't wear a seatbelt because of the cheap ticket; I wear it because it will save my life.

The problem is that government never rolls back. It just keeps going. It was seatbelts, then phones, then it will be food, then radios, then talking to passengers. That's what happens.

Also, do you not think that social safety nets help keep more people down than they help lift up?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    That's just plain wrong. In 2007, Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. In it, the efficiency rating of light bulbs is changed. Without "banning" them, there is an effective ban on inacadescent lights between 40 and 150 watts, or pretty much what you'd use in your house, by 2012. This is the same law that increases fuel efficiency by 2020.

California started the process of phasing them out for sale in January 2011.

These are standards, or "regulations," one of the reasons Bush was one of the biggest regulators ever (the fact that he was deregulator is a misnomer).
    No, the fed government set minimum standards for efficiency. The government has done this many times in the past. Its the reason your car has a catalytic converter. But you are probably against that too, since the free market would have solved the smog issue by now, right?

Other countries are banning regular light bulbs. What we are doing is not a ban. Its not even "effectively" a ban. Its a new standard. Maybe you can be the next Edison and develop a standard bulb that is more efficient. Of course, without the standard, there would be no incentive to design a better bulb. We would just stick with the cheapest, and least efficient, design. That, by the way, is the free market that conservatives champion.

BTW, Bush being a closet-regulator is a bunch of bullshit. He signed the law that was passed in the House 264 - 163 and passed in the Senate 65 - 27. With those numbers, I do not think he could have vetoed it anyway. But please, more examples of Bush being a regulator, aside from the litany of examples proving you wrong (i.e. clean air, clean water, financial services, loan industry, forestry, etc etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    How is leaving me only CFL bulbs not a mandate? My choice is either to not have light or to use them, so I suppose in that way it is not. I could just sit in the dark at night.

Yes, many of these things are a good idea. But the government often tries to "solve" a problem through laws, mandates, and regulations. Unfortunately, they often make things worse. There are a billion examples.

However, the ultimate choice is not what you say: choosing to take responsibility for your actions is. That includes death if you do not wear a seatbelt. I don't wear a seatbelt because of the cheap ticket; I wear it because it will save my life.

The problem is that government never rolls back. It just keeps going. It was seatbelts, then phones, then it will be food, then radios, then talking to passengers. That's what happens.

Also, do you not think that social safety nets help keep more people down than they help lift up?
    We would not have SEAT BELTS equipped in cars AT ALL had it not been for REGULATIONS and LAWSUITS by those hippie lawyers you love to hate. The FREE MARKET did not give us seat belts. The FREE MARKET was just fine with having people die needlessly on the road. You also would have known NOTHING about the safety of seat belts had it not been for the hippie lawyers, good government types, and investigative journalists who blew the whistle on industry. The same industry, BTW, that gave us fuel tanks mounted without side protection that could easily blow up upon impact (because it was cheaper to have to pay out wrongful death lawsuits than it was to build side protections). The same crowd that is now trying to sell us on tort "reform", which really means that your life is worth no more than 250K.

No, social safety nets keep widows and orphans from eating cat food. There are also assholes out there gaming the system. You want to use these "welfare queens" as an excuse to destroy the system. This attack on social security, by the likes of Ayn Rand Paul, are wrong headed. I prepare taxes for several people, most of whom are senior citizens. The majority rely on social security and pensions for their only income. These are people who worked all their lives, and are now unable to work in their former occupations. These people did not live extravagently, and were not "gaming the system" in their younger lives. They worked. They depend on social security, they are not being "held down" by it. And this is the position you and I will be in in a few years. Only we won't have pensions, or a reliable savings (thanks Wall Street), or having had wages comparable to our counterparts in other developed countries. And, with the help of your RepubliCONS, we'll have to work until we're 70.

Back to my first point...that Rand Paul is a steaming pile of hypocritical shit who wants to make women deliver rape babies while complaining about fucking light bulbs.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

The point I made was that Rand Paul is a hypocritical buffoon....he's so fucking concerned about light bulbs and low flow toilets as an affront to "individual freedom", but cares less about a woman's right to choose not to have that rape baby.

BTW, the Republicans are removing any of these requirements for government buildings, including the recyclable food-ware in the congressional cafeterias. Anything that promotes conservation, the "conservatives" must be against!!!

I think someone's off their medication! Wow! You must be kidding with your liberal lefty rant that "standard" light bulbs aren't being phased out? Certain wattage and styles are already gone sweetheart. Most ceiling fans don't even accept regular bulbs anymore and if you are using the fan/light combo it sucks ass!

The point of this entire thread is not weather or not government regulations are a "good idea" but rather that the government should have little authority when it comes to our right to choose. What business is it of the government's if I choose to go through my windshield for lack of wearing a seatbelt? Is it becuase they want me alive to continue to tax me to death? Hell, with the death tax you lefty's promote you should be glad I'm dead so you can get another 40% of my money!

As an earlier post stated, it's the fact that they literally sit on the hill and decide what's best for me. It should be the other way around in that they are our representatives. We should tell them what we the people want so they can go fight for those ideas not some fatass, lazy buerocrat's version of what's best only to vote for the things that line his pockets. Fuck 'em! Term limits are the only answer.

Finally, those hippy lawyers you keep talking about are relatively harmless compared to the 2011 politician whose reach far extends that of any lawyer. That can be solved simply by switching to the "loser pays" judicial model to stop the frivilous suits such as "the coffee was too hot and burned my ball sack" horseshit that milk-kneed judges subscribe to today.

Frankly, I don't know why I am wasting my time debating with you because those of your ilk can narry be reasoned with. You better start stocking up on cat food...

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Maybe everything bad for me and/or the environment will be banned one day. I'm glad there are people to make these difficult decisions for me, it's so much easier.