Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Unchained
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Pedal Help Please

Gonna go through my clean channel on my Line 6 120. I know I know garbage. But anyway. I just a new Wampler pinnacle, EVH Phaser, and EVH Flanger. Which order should they be in prior to entering the amp? Oh there is a tuner in between as well.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreet 5150 View Post
    Gonna go through my clean channel on my Line 6 120. I know I know garbage. But anyway. I just a new Wampler pinnacle, EVH Phaser, and EVH Flanger. Which order should they be in prior to entering the amp? Oh there is a tuner in between as well.
    Guitar --> Wampler --> Flanger --> Phaser --> Tuner --> Amp.

KBD3

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks brother going to hook it up now

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 2,859 Times in 1,070 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I understand Kevin's reasoning, but I'd recommend:

Guitar -> Tuner -> Phaser -> Flanger -> Pinnacle -> Amp.

Reason being that if you're going after Ed's Phase and Flange sounds he always had those in front of the amp, and the Pinnacle is acting as an "amp in a box" in front of your amp's clean channel. So, putting the phaser and flanger before the Pinnacle will get you closer to Ed's sounds. I also personally think phase after dirt typically doesn't go well, that's my experience with the Wampler paisley drive and a '74 Phase 90 at least.

By the way, phase into flange or flange into phase doesn't typically matter unless you're running both at the same time. Sometimes Phase 90s will cause a volume drop if they're not seeing an impedance they like, and switching some pedal orders can fix that. So if you experience a drop, try switching your phaser and flanger to see what happens, or putting your tuner after the Pinnacle.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post

Reason being that if you're going after Ed's Phase and Flange sounds he always had those in front of the amp, and the Pinnacle is acting as an "amp in a box" in front of your amp's clean channel. So, putting the phaser and flanger before the Pinnacle will get you closer to Ed's sounds. I also personally think phase after dirt typically doesn't go well, that's my experience with the Wampler paisley drive and a '74 Phase 90 at least.

By the way, phase into flange or flange into phase doesn't typically matter unless you're running both at the same time. Sometimes Phase 90s will cause a volume drop if they're not seeing an impedance they like, and switching some pedal orders can fix that. So if you experience a drop, try switching your phaser and flanger to see what happens, or putting your tuner after the Pinnacle.
    I agree with this too...No offence to anyone else's setup...Just works best for me.
    I always think of it in terms of how dramatic the effect is.
    A Phaser...in an early EVH type tone example.....You could almost leave it on. The Flanger is a much deeper effect that significantly shifts the frequency ranges, and also adds regeneration. A Phaser on the other hand, though it also shifts frequencies, it's more subtle...At least through the amps' front end.
    I use a Dunlop Univibe set somewhat transparently, almost emulating the Phase type sound in a lot of my work, and if I wanna hit the Flanger, it also sweeps the subtle phaser tone in front of it and works very nicely.
    If in my case, I put the Flanger ahead of the Phaser, then I get some weird overtones when I hit the Flanger if the Phaser is engaged, so I lose harmonics sometimes.
    It's kinda like if you put a wah ahead of a distortion or overdrive pedal.
    It's sweeping the frequency before distortion, and has a more rounded natural sound, as the gain stage of your amp is still producing it's own character and harmonic overtones to the signal. If you have the overdrive ahead of the wah, or the wah through the effects loop, then you are shifting the entire overdriven signal which can sound cool in the right application, but it's very distinctive.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    Guitar --> Wampler --> Flanger --> Phaser --> Tuner --> Amp.

KBD3

That's the complete opposite of what I have going. Mine is:

Guitar--> Tuner --> Phase 90 --> Flanger --> Chorus --> Delay --> Amp
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Obviously, there are lots of different schools of thought here!

I feel like there are some general rules, but it can vary by setup and by preference, clearly.

My typical pedal setup is:

Blues Driver --> Wah --> Octave Fuzz --> Octave --> Delay --> Flanger --> Chorus --> Phaser --> Tuner (when it's working).

I stopped using my clean channel years ago, and play generally dirty and pull back on the volume knob for a clean-ish tone. When I need a boost for solos, I hit the driver.

The tone-based pedals go first an in order of severity of the effect. I would never want to distort my wah pedal, I want it to wah my distorted tone. I would never use the driver and the Octave Fuzz together, and I would never use an Octave Fuzz and a wah at the same time, so the OF comes after the wah. The regular octave pedal obviously goes after the OF.

Delay in the middle because #1) You'd never ever want to distort your delay -- again you delay your distorted tone; and #2) You'd never want to delay your "color", you want to "color" your delay.

Then you set up your "color" pedals. Flanger most severe, chorus second most severe, phaser third most severe. You don't want to change the tone of your color -- you always want to color your tone.

I put the tuner dead last because the idea of putting anything between my guitar and my actual effects gives me the heebeegeebees.

I hope that makes sense.

KBD3

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks guys, all hooked up but no sound. Hmmmmmm kind of strange.

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have checked every setting and I get nothing. Going from the amp to the pedals thne from the pedals to the amp. No other way to do it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreet 5150 View Post
    I have checked every setting and I get nothing. Going from the amp to the pedals thne from the pedals to the amp. No other way to do it.
    You have a dead battery, dead power adapter, or a dead cable.

Or a dead amp.

Or a dead output jack!

Start with just the guitar and the amp and add back just one pedal at a time.

KBD3

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post

Agreed- If you were using these pedals with a high gain amp they'd be run in the front so I'd be using that mentality for the distortion box. Phased drive sounds better the driven phase if you know what I mean?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Figured it out, gotta tweak it a little. Doesn't sound as bright and crunchy as Ed's
    Last edited by MeanStreet 5150; 04.10.14 at 04:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I would go...

Amp---> Flanger ---> Pinnacle ---> Phase 90---> Tuner ---> Git Fiddle

For some reason I always preferred my Phase right before any OD or distortion pedal. I like the tuner at the beginning as it can be used as a kill switch for your signal..not in the Buckethead sense, but more for changing guitars
    Earn this...