Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

    Default

    This isn't really news...nor is it important.


    But I AM shocked that such a reputable and respected news outlet such as Fox would make such a mistake.......
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I find it just as funny that Maddow is calling someone else's news show a parody.

    Look, let's be real. Almost all of Fox's lineup and MSNBC's lineup is opinion programming, which makes it all entertainment, not news. That Fox calls O'Reilly the number one show in cable news should be insulting to anyone with a brain, as we know his show is about opinions. But so is O'Donnell's, Hayes', Hannity's, Kelly's, and on and on.

    CNN has opinion programming, but is pretty much the "Squirrel!!" network. Anything distracting and shiny comes along, they go after it and pound it into the ground.

    And this is the ultimate problem with shows like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Real Time, in comparison to shows like O'Reilly and Maddow. In reality, the Fox News and MSNBC lineups are every bit as much an entertainment programs as the aforementioned comedy shows. Getting your news only from these shows is folly. Yet Jon Stewart gets to hide behind the fact that he's not news and only a comedy show, when truly he is just as influential and just as much "news" as those other shows.

    So for anyone who rips on Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Stewart, Colbert, and Maher are not only the same thing, but just as biased and just as likely to skew the news in the direction of their own opinion.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    It's just funny that SNL did that same thing in their parody of Fox and Friends this past weekend then a couple days later it comes to fruition.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I find it just as funny that Maddow is calling someone else's news show a parody.

    Look, let's be real. Almost all of Fox's lineup and MSNBC's lineup is opinion programming, which makes it all entertainment, not news. That Fox calls O'Reilly the number one show in cable news should be insulting to anyone with a brain, as we know his show is about opinions. But so is O'Donnell's, Hayes', Hannity's, Kelly's, and on and on.

    CNN has opinion programming, but is pretty much the "Squirrel!!" network. Anything distracting and shiny comes along, they go after it and pound it into the ground.

    And this is the ultimate problem with shows like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Real Time, in comparison to shows like O'Reilly and Maddow. In reality, the Fox News and MSNBC lineups are every bit as much an entertainment programs as the aforementioned comedy shows. Getting your news only from these shows is folly. Yet Jon Stewart gets to hide behind the fact that he's not news and only a comedy show, when truly he is just as influential and just as much "news" as those other shows.

    So for anyone who rips on Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Stewart, Colbert, and Maher are not only the same thing, but just as biased and just as likely to skew the news in the direction of their own opinion.
    you honestly think that CNN is "just as biased" as Fox and MSNBC?

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    It's just funny that SNL did that same thing in their parody of Fox and Friends this past weekend then a couple days later it comes to fruition.
    Perhaps, but I would argue that Maddow, her followers, and most people who think it's funny also think Fox is filled with a bunch of idiotic mental midgets. Sort of goes along with the title of this thread, "Fox News Does It Again LOL."

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    you honestly think that CNN is "just as biased" as Fox and MSNBC?
    No, I separated them out by saying they have some opinion programming, but they're worthless because they're the "Squirrel!!" network (a reference to Pixar's Up) and just react to shiny objects in the news.

    Their reporting on the Malaysia plane makes them just as bad as the other networks, but in a different way. I watched an entire segment with a reporter inside a flight simulator showing how the plane could have landed that ended with the reporter saying, "So yes, they could have landed somewhere, though there is no evidence that they did."

    That about summed CNN up for me. They spent 5 minutes proving to me that a plane could land and 5 minutes speculating on something where there was zero evidence.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I find it just as funny that Maddow is calling someone else's news show a parody.

    Look, let's be real. Almost all of Fox's lineup and MSNBC's lineup is opinion programming, which makes it all entertainment, not news. That Fox calls O'Reilly the number one show in cable news should be insulting to anyone with a brain, as we know his show is about opinions. But so is O'Donnell's, Hayes', Hannity's, Kelly's, and on and on.

    CNN has opinion programming, but is pretty much the "Squirrel!!" network. Anything distracting and shiny comes along, they go after it and pound it into the ground.

    And this is the ultimate problem with shows like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, and Real Time, in comparison to shows like O'Reilly and Maddow. In reality, the Fox News and MSNBC lineups are every bit as much an entertainment programs as the aforementioned comedy shows. Getting your news only from these shows is folly. Yet Jon Stewart gets to hide behind the fact that he's not news and only a comedy show, when truly he is just as influential and just as much "news" as those other shows.

    So for anyone who rips on Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, Stewart, Colbert, and Maher are not only the same thing, but just as biased and just as likely to skew the news in the direction of their own opinion.
    I agree with most of your post. And I understand where you're coming from when you say that Stewart and Colbert's shows are the same thing as the other cable news shows. But they're not completely. Stewart and Colbert actually are comedy shows. I know that they are influential to viewers and that's a shame. I tune into Stewart's satirical show to be entertained and to get a laugh. I can't say the same about O'Reilly and Maddow and the others. Despite them being accidentally entertaining once in a while, albeit unintentionally.

    And those other shows are, as you said, just opinion shows, not news shows. They're more cultish in their existence than newsworthy.

    And, I don't know what the fuck is up with CNN. I do miss that network as an actual news channel. But those days are gone. I don't know what the hell they are now: the leader in speculation and investigative theories??
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,156
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Likes
    1,320
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

    Default

    I think the difference between Jon Stewart and Glen Beck is that Stewart knows he's doing a comedy show.

  9. #9
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,170
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Likes
    548
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Well come on, most of the players are black, I can see where she would confuse the 2.

  10. #10
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,170
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Likes
    548
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Looks like Wolfe Blitzer did the same exact thing. Funny how that didn't make quite the waves as someone from Fox. No bias here.


  11. #11
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Perhaps, but I would argue that Maddow, her followers, and most people who think it's funny also think Fox is filled with a bunch of idiotic mental midgets.
    I think most people would agree with that assessment.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I agree with most of your post. And I understand where you're coming from when you say that Stewart and Colbert's shows are the same thing as the other cable news shows. But they're not completely. Stewart and Colbert actually are comedy shows. I know that they are influential to viewers and that's a shame. I tune into Stewart's satirical show to be entertained and to get a laugh. I can't say the same about O'Reilly and Maddow and the others. Despite them being accidentally entertaining once in a while, albeit unintentionally.

    And those other shows are, as you said, just opinion shows, not news shows. They're more cultish in their existence than newsworthy.

    And, I don't know what the fuck is up with CNN. I do miss that network as an actual news channel. But those days are gone. I don't know what the hell they are now: the leader in speculation and investigative theories??
    I guess what I am saying is, if you take away what they call themselves and you take away the networks they air on, are either The O'Reilly Factor or The Daily Show news programs? No. So fundamentally they both use the current events of the day, advance a position on them, and interview a guest or guests to entertain viewers.

    Fundamentally they are doing the same thing; it's the tactics that are different.

    What most people don't know who don't regularly watch O'Reilly is that he is actually pretty funny and he jokes around with guests a lot. Comedians are regular contributors (Dennis Miller, Adam Carolla), and there is always joking around going on with Greg Gutfeld, Alan Colmes, and most of the other guests on the show. And if you only see O'Reilly on late night shows, he's actually pretty funny there too.

    And when O'Reilly and Stewart get together the 3 or 4 times a year that they do, the results are usually pretty funny and engaging.

    Yes, Jon Stewart is a comedian and therefore the comedy is less "joking around" and "ribbing" than it is polished and purposeful. But comedy is the persuasive way Stewart disseminates his opinion. O'Reilly does it with a stern face, a booming voice--authoritative--but both are ways of getting their opinion across.

    When you strip it all away, both are doing the same thing. One safely hides his opinion behind the "news" moniker, the other behind "comedy."

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    You're right. There isn't much difference between the formats. But I tune into Stewart because I know I'm going to laugh. I don't care enough about people's opinions to tune into O'Reilly, Maddow, et al.

    Having said that, O'Reilly is the only one of those "cable news" people I can tolerate.

    Maddow is useless. Hannity is too pompous with his Almighty Righteousness. Beck should be locked up in an asylum. Hayes is zzzzzzzz.

    Obviously you are a fan of Fox, right? Well, you have to expect this poking fun of the network since they are No. 1. Besides, SNL was making fun of Fox & Friends. You have to admit, they are ripe to be parodied.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    You're right. There isn't much difference between the formats. But I tune into Stewart because I know I'm going to laugh. I don't care enough about people's opinions to tune into O'Reilly, Maddow, et al.

    Having said that, O'Reilly is the only one of those "cable news" people I can tolerate.

    Maddow is useless. Hannity is too pompous with his Almighty Righteousness. Beck should be locked up in an asylum. Hayes is zzzzzzzz.

    Obviously you are a fan of Fox, right? Well, you have to expect this poking fun of the network since they are No. 1. Besides, SNL was making fun of Fox & Friends. You have to admit, they are ripe to be parodied.
    I wouldn't say I am a "fan," just like I wouldn't say I am a fan of The Daily Show, but I watch both regularly. I also watch MSNBC and CNN, as well as read multiple papers and multiple online sources.

    Stewart makes me laugh, but when he gets high an mighty on things where I know he's wrong, he can make me want to punch the screen more than any other talking head. But that only happens about once a month.

    The reason this is a story is only because it was Fox. Only Fox would get parodied about being stupid (though I don't think their morning show will be breaking any IQ records, but that's true about multiple morning news shows), so it's therefore only funny when it happens to Fox. It's set up by Maddow as if only Fox could come across as this dumb, yet as shown above, Wolf Blitzer has made the same mistake. I'd even bet people at MSNBC have made that dumb of a mistake. It happens when you need to fill up so many hours of air time.

    An example: Tamron Hall once said, talking to all liberals on her panel, that the idea of Black English is ridiculous, as if Blacks have some secret language they speak to each other in. Actually, Black English is an English dialect. My degree is in English/Linguistics. I know this stuff. To me, that's actual ignorance being spouted on the air, not a "goof" that could happen to anyone who has to talk for a living. Dismissively spouting ignorance while pretending to be an authority on the subject is terrible, yet would anyone call MSNBC out on that? Nope.

    In practice, anyone should realize that Fox News is more diverse than MSNBC. Hannity was at first Hannity and Colmes, and Alan Colmes is still a contributor to Fox and has a primetime radio show on Fox News Radio. Fox hired Juan Williams when NPR decided he'd said something he shouldn't have, and Williams even guest hosts O'Reilly. Would any talking head on MSNBC let a conservative guest host their show? Have they ever? Yet O'Reilly is regularly guest hosted by Williams--even before Fox hired him.

    John Stossel was relegated to one show every few months on a Friday night when he was with ABC. He said he was the only non-liberal in the entire news division. Fox gave him a show on Fox Business. Libertarians--who often butt heads with conservatives--have a home at Fox. Liberals have a home at Fox. MSNBC can't match that.

    I am not saying Fox is an overall good in and of itself, but as an alternative to all the liberal reporting out there, Fox is important. It's only number one because it is possibly the only mainstream news organization that doesn't slant at least partially to the left.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,981
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Likes
    2,607
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    How many people have FOX had to fire over the past year for inappropriate comments?

    The reason why CNN and MSNBC get trounced on ratings is because they split up anybody left of center. FOX has a monopoly for any right of center. If CNN was a centrist news network, you would see a ratings spike. Actually I find them to be slightly less biased than FOX. I hate FOX but they do offer and allow opposing opinions. MSNBC are like the Baghdad Bob.

    O'Reilly gets a lot of flack but he actually holds opinions on items that go against conservatism. Well at least used to. He is anti death penalty for instance. Would you think the top MSNBC guy or gal...its probably Meadow so guy would be out as a supporter for capital punishment.

    Truth is a lot of people who are critical of the big three networks generally don't watch the opposing viewpoint. They want to get their beliefs hammered to them so they feel righteous. I am a libertarian and I spend 90% of my time watching CNN or MSNBC because they are the furthest thing from what I believe in. I want to hear an opposing argument because maybe I am wrong about something.

    99% of the time they are just blasting out rhetoric. I am sure Fox does the same thing but they got scoreboard.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Weekly Entertainment and Music News (METALLICA, G-n-R, RATM NEWS THIS WEEK!)
    By FH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08.16.02, 06:45 AM
  2. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 07.27.02, 12:42 PM
  3. WEEKLY Music & Entertainment News (Superhero Movie News Galore This Week!)
    By FanHalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07.11.02, 11:17 AM
  4. WEEKLY Movie & Music News(METALLICA & QUEENSRYCHE NEWS THIS WEEK)
    By FanHalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07.06.02, 07:54 AM
  5. Weekly Entertainment and Music News (INDY 4 NEWS THIS WEEK!)
    By FanHalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06.28.02, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •