Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Satch Talks Chickenfoot - It's Not Good...

From Billboard----

Satriani and Hagar have talked about working on a blues album together, but Chickenfoot seems to be on hiatus after 2011's "Chickenfoot III."
    "I don't know what's going on with Chickenfoot," Satriani says. "I'm really on the outside of that. I think I always have been. I tried really hard to get the guys to spend more time making records and more time on the road, but in fact I think Sam (Hagar) and Chad (Smith) have other ideas, and I just don't know what those are -- besides the obvious, which is they're very busy with their other projects. I think that's what it's about. It's been a big heartbreak for me (that) we weren't able to get together and record another record like real bands do. So I don't know where that sits now."
    The song ain't dirty
    It's really just the way we sing it

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Trouble in Chikenfoot land? I don't think I can take it.

So I won't read too much into this. (Okay, maybe I will.)

I think what I am pulling out of this is that Satch actually really likes being a part of Chickenfoot, and is probably upset that they haven't done anything in awhile. So that's no big shocker. It's surprising that he thinks of himself something of an outsider. I always thought that Sam and Satch drove that ship together.

My long love and support for Sam is well documented. I swear to God, if this band never records again, because of "differences" between Sam and Satch, I will finally believe it's Sam.

Ronnie Montrose
    Eddie Van Halen
    Joe Satriani

At some point, Sam, you should look in the mirror and make sure it's not you. I read that in a book once.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I think that the four members put a ton of effort into Chickenfoot and, while somewhat successful and certainly enjoyable for fans of Sammy/Joe/Chad/Mike, perhaps didn't quite set the world on fire as much as at least Sammy may have hoped. It's just a hunch of mine that perhaps Sammy is thinking "Heck, I could do just as well with The Wabos or doing things my own way". Just a theory. I could be way off.

It does at least seem that Joe is way more into Chickenfoot than Sammy is.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I hate to hear that Joe's on the outside of the decision making, but I guess Sammy and Chad are truly the busy ones. I wish they would make Chickenfoot a priority.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Joe has mentioned always wanting to be part of an actual 'band' . As great of a player as he is (although I don't care for him) , he wants a unit . A forum for making real songs and albums .

Sammy , on the other hand , has been there done that . For an awfully long time and with quite a huge amount of success . He's also a real "jam" type of guy . He enjoys playing with lots of different musicians .

Joe seems to wanna hang on to the ideal of Chickenfoot . Sam seems to be less affected by the label . That's just my take on it .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I was a bit surprised by what Joe said.

1. He talked about Chickenfoot in the PAST tense.

2. The bit about being outside. I figured it was he and Sam that made the decisions and then asked Chad and Mike if they were in.

He did mention the blues album thing that Sam had talked about not too long ago. I really enjoyed Bitten By The Wolf. Something along the lines of that style of delta blues would be incredible.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.20.16 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Here is the thing... It's not like they don't have options. They could easily get another drummer. Dean Castronovo has come to mind lately since he was the original drummer for Planet us. Anyway, I think Sam is afraid of the backlash he would get if they got another drummer because then the fingers would be pointing at him after all the shit he talked about with Eddie replacing band members. I personally don't think you can really compare the two situations but I get the sense Sam is being very careful with.

Joe Wants to play, Mike is ready to play, Sam can be ready to play and Chad cant come out and play. Call Dean up boys!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Well said, CaboChris.

Even when Satch was on 'That Metal Show', his comments about Chickenfoot doing another album weren't hopeful.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    Here is the thing... It's not like they don't have options. They could easily get another drummer. Dean Castronovo has come to mind lately since he was the original drummer for Planet us. Anyway, I think Sam is afraid of the backlash he would get if they got another drummer because then the fingers would be pointing at him after all the shit he talked about with Eddie replacing band members. I personally don't think you can really compare the two situations but I get the sense Sam is being very careful with.

Joe Wants to play, Mike is ready to play, Sam can be ready to play and Chad cant come out and play. Call Dean up boys!
    I don't think its that simple. Mike is only ready to play when Sam says its ready to play. History has shown that Mike is a foot soldier who latches on to one guy and does his bidding. It was Eddie and now its Sammy. Not ripping on the guy, slighting him or anything. He is loyal. So don't think Mike is ready to play. He is if Sam says its ok.

I truly think its just band politics getting in the way and maybe Sam is thinking its not worth it. Frustration with everybody's schedule. I don't think album sales has anything to do with it. These guys are set. I just think there is some friction there.

Sammy does have an issue with guitarists. Montrose, Eddie and remember Neil Schon. He ripped on Neil when he joined VH. Of course not all of it is on Sam but I do believe Sam likes being an alpha male.

Too bad.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamIsOver View Post
    From Billboard----

Satriani and Hagar have talked about working on a blues album together, but Chickenfoot seems to be on hiatus after 2011's "Chickenfoot III."
    "I don't know what's going on with Chickenfoot," Satriani says. "I'm really on the outside of that. I think I always have been. I tried really hard to get the guys to spend more time making records and more time on the road, but in fact I think Sam (Hagar) and Chad (Smith) have other ideas, and I just don't know what those are -- besides the obvious, which is they're very busy with their other projects. I think that's what it's about. It's been a big heartbreak for me (that) we weren't able to get together and record another record like real bands do. So I don't know where that sits now."

I don't think this has anything to do with personalities as much as it does logistics.

It only takes one person's outside schedule to stop progress in this band. It's that simple.

That said, hasn't Joe also been on tour...?
    http://www.satriani.com/road/archive-2013-Aug-Dec.shtml

I'm looking at his recent schedule and he was only off a few months... probably coinsiding with RHCP tour dates and Sammy's Friends album shows...

It's all about the timing.

Cheers,
    mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think its more than just timing. Seems that Joe's vision for Chickenfoot doesn't go along with what Chad and Sam want Chad and Sam are involved with other projects but Joe doesn't even know what those are. There is a communication problem as well.

Given Joe's usual upbeat attitude, this is about as negative as Eddie in that one interview with Iommi.

its too bad because I actually have been appreciating CF more lately.

If VH was able to record with Dave in separate studios, anything is possible. These guys can easily find a week or two to put out an album.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,189 Times in 8,988 Posts

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the hell Mike does all day long?

Don't mean that in a bad way, just curious.

As for CF...not surprising. It doesn't seem to be anyone's number one focus, and everyone but Mike has MULTIPLE projects outside of CF.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Joe is shedding some light on the fact that Chad is not the only problem, Sam is too. We didn't know that. Hmmm.

Coz Sam's musical projects outside of CF are ho-hum at best. And he's on record saying "Chickenfoot is MY group!" Was he BS-ing ppl, or what?
    Last edited by Little Dreamer; 04.09.14 at 12:14 PM.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

What ticks me off is that after 30+ years of solo music, I think we have a good grasp of what Sam is going to give us. With CF or VH he gets pushed which is good for him.

I wonder if a new project is going to happen with Sam, Chad, Mike and Schonocity?

They did do a song for his solo album.