Register
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 142122232425 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.10.19 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 4,658 Times in 2,819 Posts

Default Why It Is Hard to Fix California

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with these people? This is third world type nonsense.

https://apnews.com/c95a246226c2466a968add8bd2392820

We get high winds here all the time and live in a dry climate and they never shut the power off. Nor have we had a major fire sparked by power equipment that I'm aware of.

How do you not build your infrastructure to withstand the conditions in which it is supposed to function?
    So there’s a couple issues.

One is that the law in CA says that even if they didn’t start the fire, even if they followed all regulations and safety protocol (and there’s a shit ton), if their equipment contributed to the fire in any way, the electric company is liable for the entire cost of the fire.

Two, people build homes in high risk areas. I live near one. You can get 100 mph gusts, near triple digit heat, and areas full of brush, ready to burn.

Three, there’s no way to avoid live electrical equipment sparking if it catches fire. And if that happens, the electric company pays 100% of all damages even if in 100% compliance.

I can tell you that SoCal Edison, for 8 years straight, has presented a plan to update the infrastructure to avoid large scale outages. Think scalpel vs sledgehammer. And 8 years in a row they’ve been denied by the CPUC, a governor-appointed board. In fact, the profit in private utilities is in improving infrastructure.

PG&E is not great. But there are significant obstacles to just improving infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 10.25.19 at 07:26 PM.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.15.19 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 17,322 Times in 9,158 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

One is that the law in CA says that even if they didn’t start the fire, even if they followed all regulations and safety protocol (and there’s a shit ton), if their equipment contributed to the fire in any way, the electric company is liable for the entire cost of the fire.

Two, people build homes in high risk areas. I live near one. You can get 100 mph gusts, near triple digit heat, and areas full of brush, ready to burn.

Three, there’s no way to avoid live electrical equipment sparking if it catches fire. And if that happens, the electric company pays 100% of all damages even if in 100% compliance.

I can tell you that SoCal Edison, for 8 years straight, has presented a plan to update the infrastructure to avoid large scale outages. Think scalpel vs sledgehammer. And 8 years in a row they’ve been denied by the CPUC, a governor-appointed board. In fact, the profit in private utilities is in improving infrastructure.

PG&E is not great. But there are significant obstacles to just improving infrastructure.

I think that's kind of my point, your government is at least partially responsible for this with their misguided laws and regulations.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

I think that's kind of my point, your government is at least partially responsible for this with their misguided laws and regulations.
    Agreed. I’ve just seen so many people going ballistic the other direction!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.19 @ 05:26 AM
    Liked 1,761 Times in 1,164 Posts

Premium Member

We get high winds here all the time and live in a dry climate and they never shut the power off. Nor have we had a major fire sparked by power equipment that I'm aware of.

How do you not build your infrastructure to withstand the conditions in which it is supposed to function?
    Power companies would love to clear brush in and around power lines but environmental laws are so strict out here, they can't in most areas. Can't kill any trees. Or even grass. So they shut off the power instead.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.19 @ 05:27 AM
    Liked 4,078 Times in 2,487 Posts

Premium Member

Im not in love with any electric or oil company. However, I like my lights and computer and my internal combustion engine needs to eat. Funny thing is people who drive Chevy Volts or Tesla need juice too. I would not mind going all solar and shit but I dont think it would pay off for me and my life expectancy. The price of going off the grid is still prohibitive to most.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

One part of infrastructure the state is approving when it comes to O&M for utilities is electric vehicle charging stations.

Last Online

12.15.19 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 1,061 Times in 573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Im not in love with any electric or oil company. However, I like my lights and computer and my internal combustion engine needs to eat. Funny thing is people who drive Chevy Volts or Tesla need juice too. I would not mind going all solar and shit but I dont think it would pay off for me and my life expectancy. The price of going off the grid is still prohibitive to most.
    I did it and we're not gazillionaires. We got solar on our roof, a 220 fast charge station on the side of the house and two hybrids. Wrote a *lot* of the costs off on our taxes as we did it but the pay-off especially in gas savings (my wife drives back and forth between Burbank and Huntington Beach and I between HB and Lake Forest) is gigantic We fill our cars maybe twice a month and they have tiny 8-10 gallon tanks.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.19 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 268 Times in 188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

I agree with you on all counts, but I wonder if, at this point, considering all the payouts PG&E has had to make over the last few years, wouldn't that money be better invested in putting lines underground? I know in newer neighborhoods the powerlines are under the streets, but most of us in older neighborhoods still have them over our heads.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.19 @ 05:23 AM
    Liked 19,064 Times in 10,915 Posts

California's Prop 47 leads to rise in shoplifting, thefts, criminal activity across state

Barnini Chakraborty 1 hour ago

SAN FRANCISCO – In a lighted garage on one of San Francisco's busiest streets, a young man in baggy trousers and messy brown hair pulled down his pants. He had been hiding two pairs of stolen jeans with the tags still on them. He handed them to another man waiting nearby, took some money, pulled up his pants and headed back into another store on Market Street — home to the city's high-end designers and big-chain retail shops.

The incident wasn't a one-off. These brazen acts of petty theft and shoplifting are a dangerous and all-too-common consequence of Proposition 47, a referendum passed five years ago that critics say effectively gives shoplifters and addicts the green light to commit crimes as long as the merchandise they steal or the drugs they take are less than $950 in value. The decision to downgrade theft of property valued below the arbitrary figure from felony to misdemeanor, together with selective enforcement that focuses on more “serious” crimes, has resulted in thieves knowing they can brazenly shoplift and merchants knowing the police will not respond to their complaints, say critics.

Over in the City by the Bay's famous Tenderloin district, Cassie, a 21-year-old mother of two and a former heroin junkie, told Fox News that when times were tough, she too has stolen from stores.

"If my babies need diapers or formula, who is going to get that for me? No one. I have to do it," she said. "They ain't out here arresting people for (shoplifting) and everyone knows it."

Proposition 47 is seen by critics as one of California's biggest blunders. Supported by the state Democratic Party and championed by the American Civil Liberties Union, the referendum was passed by a wide margin in 2014. The idea behind it was to reduce certain non-violent felonies to misdemeanors in order to free up resources for cops and prosecutors to focus on violent offenders.

Since Proposition 47 was passed, there has been an increase in theft across the state. Cities like San Francisco have seen organized crime rings turn shoplifting into a well-organized racket involving desperate thieves and unscrupulous black-market resellers.

Among the nation's 20 largest cities, San Francisco now has the highest rate of property crime, which includes theft, shoplifting and vandalism.

Del Seymour, founder of the non-profit Code Tenderloin, told Fox News that fencers – often from Mexico and Guatemala – set up shop in the middle of the day and night around the city's United Nations Plaza area. He said he's also noticed that the stealers and dealers have gotten bolder by the day, The retail heists taking place, he said, aren't some small-time operation but instead a sophisticated network of international dealers who cross the border to buy stolen goods. What's worse is that a majority of the handoffs happen in view of San Francisco's City Hall.

"Of course it sends a message," Seymour said. "They're doing it right here in the open."

Other hot spots include the Tenderloin as well as 7th and Market streets.

Seymour believes San Francisco is stuck in a cycle and, until it's able to pull itself out, the problem will continue. Drug addicts, who are often homeless, need money for a fix so they walk into a store, steal merchandise, sell it for half the value and use the money they made to buy more drugs. Seymour added that the mayor and elected city officials have been spending too much time and money trying to coddle addicts and have done nothing to eliminate San Francisco's drug problem.

"My thing is – and I tell them this all the time – if we end the fencing, prosecute the fencing or do something with the fencing, people won't have money to buy the drugs," he said. "Most of the drugs bought are from shoplifting and breaking into cars. If they don't have a market for those goods, they won't break into cars or (shoplift) anymore."

The problem isn't just San Francisco-based. Across the state, retailers say they have been hit hard by shoplifters since Prop 47 went into effect.

Across the bay, in Oakland, business owners say shoplifting is a problem. Spoiled Boutique owner Mika McCants told Fox News she worries about theft, especially at night.

"I've had situations where I've had to call the authorities."

In San Diego County, 7-Eleven franchise owner Jassi Dhillon told NBC 7 that he has to deal with shoplifters at all six of his store locations.

"It's happening every day, hour by hour," he said.

Dhillon said shoplifting isn't a priority to law enforcement and said when cops do show up, the shoplifter has left the store or isn't concerned about the citation they are issued.

"It's becoming a lifestyle for us now because we can't do anything much except take the loss," he said.

Rachel Michelin, president of the California Retailers Association, said shoplifting is not only hurting retailers but is also "becoming a public safety issue for consumers."

She said black-market dealers frequently cross state lines because they know California will go easy on them if caught.

"They know what they're doing. They will bring in calculators and get all the way up to the $950 limit," Michelin told Fox News, adding that "one person will go into a store, fill up their backpack, come out, dump it out and go right back in and do it all over again."

Michelin said she's seen footage from member retailers that she described as "completely insane."

"They will go into a grocery store, steal alcohol and walk out the front door with it," she said. "They know no one is going to prosecute them. The district attorneys aren't."

She added that there are even more sinister acts afoot. Many out-of-state crime rings use children to do their dirty work because they know they're low on the totem pole of prosecutions.

"There are folks that are using and exploiting children," she said. "But I also think that teenagers know that there are no consequences anymore. It's part of a game. If you get caught, all you have to do is get out of the store."

She, like several others Fox News spoke to, said the situation has strained the relationship between police officers and prosecutors.

"Law enforcement [officials] are trying to protect the streets and then they might do a sting and arrest a bunch of people but then the district attorney will drop it or downgrade the charges," she said.

It's a frustrating dynamic for sure, but until the state finds a fix, retailers have been reaching into their own pockets to hire private security guards but even then there are no guarantees that the stealing will stop. In fact, all that private guards can do is observe and report thefts.

"They aren't going to chase someone down the road," Michelin said.

She also took lawmakers to task over a seemingly well-intentioned plan that actually backfired and made the situation worse.

California is one of a handful of states that doesn't hand out plastic shopping bags. To get one, the purchaser has to pay an additional dime. Residents looking to save ten cents and spare the environment typically put merchandise in a purse, backpack or have it in their hand when they walk out, an unintended consequence of which is shoplifters can easily "fit in and walk out" with the paying crowd.

"It's nuts," Michelin said. "Stores are going to be forced to lock up all their merchandise."

Frustrated business owners say they feel their needs are being ignored by elected officials.

Fox News asked Democratic Mayor London Breed's office six separate times for an interview or to comment on this story. Her office did not respond to a single request about the growing crisis. Fox News also reached out to the district attorney's office multiple times but did not get a response.

The San Francisco Police Department pointed Fox News to "Operation Wrecking Ball," an eight month-long investigation that began in April 2018 and culminated in a dozen arrests and the recovery of stolen retail items valued at $750,000.

"Big and small businesses are hit hard financially by these thefts, which often endanger employees and discourage law-abiding customers. SFPD is collaborating closely with local businesses and our partner agencies to deter and investigate these crimes to make our city even safer and enable businesses to prosper," San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said in the press release forwarded to Fox News.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/californi...rime-statewide
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

12.13.19 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 1,267 Times in 808 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Suspected Arsonist Caught on Video Allegedly Igniting Brush Fires In California

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.19 @ 05:26 AM
    Liked 1,761 Times in 1,164 Posts

Premium Member

Hang him.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

LMAO. Way to fix things, Cali.

San Francisco’s New DA: Public Urination ‘Will Not Be Prosecuted’

November 11, 2019
    7:41 PM ET
    San Francisco’s pee problem could soon get worse.

Chesa Boudin, the urine-and-feces-plagued city’s incoming district attorney, pledged during the campaign not to prosecute public urination and other quality-of-life crimes if he was elected. Boudin declared victory Saturday night after results showed him winning a plurality of votes in the DA race.

“We will not prosecute cases involving quality-of-life crimes. Crimes such as public camping, offering or soliciting sex, public urination, blocking a sidewalk, etc., should not and will not be prosecuted,” Boudin vowed in response to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) questionnaire during the campaign.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/11/11/s...lic-urination/

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.19 @ 05:23 AM
    Liked 19,064 Times in 10,915 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    LMAO. Way to fix things, Cali.

San Francisco’s New DA: Public Urination ‘Will Not Be Prosecuted’

November 11, 2019
    7:41 PM ET
    San Francisco’s pee problem could soon get worse.

Chesa Boudin, the urine-and-feces-plagued city’s incoming district attorney, pledged during the campaign not to prosecute public urination and other quality-of-life crimes if he was elected. Boudin declared victory Saturday night after results showed him winning a plurality of votes in the DA race.

“We will not prosecute cases involving quality-of-life crimes. Crimes such as public camping, offering or soliciting sex, public urination, blocking a sidewalk, etc., should not and will not be prosecuted,” Boudin vowed in response to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) questionnaire during the campaign.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/11/11/s...lic-urination/

Boudin’s parents were members of the Weather Underground domestic terrorist group.

Boudin “was raised in Chicago by Weather Underground leaders Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn” after his parents were sent to prison on murder charges while he was a toddler, NBC News noted.

Good job, Cali
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.15.19 @ 08:48 PM
    Liked 17,322 Times in 9,158 Posts

Premium Member

What a shithole.

Literally.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

CALIFORNIA: MAN ARRESTED FOR EATING AT SUBWAY STATION, ALSO CALIFORNIA: HOMELESS SHOOTING HEROIN, POOPING ON CITY STREETS

Police focus on petty “crimes” by productive members of society

The irony here cannot be overstated: in a state overwhelmed with heroin addicts living – and pooping – on the streets, the police were quick to uphold the law against a man who was merely eating on a train platform.

https://www.infowars.com/california-...-city-streets/