Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 312
  1. #211
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    47
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    22,777
    Last Online

    11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Likes
    5,753
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    It's only going to get real for some when it's not just in their backyard, it's them having to personally stand in lines at soup kitchens.
    Oh that will never happen. They've planned.

    That kind of stuff never happens to the responsible ones.

  2. #212
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    44
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    15,963
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Likes
    25,509
    Liked 15,766 Times in 8,271 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    "California made major news this month, reclaiming a valuable economic marker and surpassing Britain as the fifth largest economy in the world. Its growth after the recession has accelerated under President Trump and even turned a modest surplus. However, the Golden State remains one of the most unequal in the nation. It has both billions of dollars in Silicon Valley and rampant homelessness. Its efforts to eliminate poverty instead accentuates it, and its tax system inadvertently aids those who are already wealthy. With the middle class leaving in droves, California society represents a modern feudal system of robber barons and the poor.

    Gross domestic product in California is now above $2.7 trillion, which represents just under 14 percent of the entire United States economy. The topline numbers are a bit misleading, as the state represents a similar 12 percent of the national population. California had the fifth largest economy in the world before the recession, falling seven spots by 2012, while growing at an anemic 0.1 percent. The state has long been fortunate to be the center of the booming technology sector. Part of the growth was due to a rapidly expanding real estate sector, which heavily assists wealthy residents. With the mega rich and upper class driving its economy, California leaves the rest of its population behind.

    After factoring for costs of living, California is the poorest state in the union. An average of 14 percent of Americans live below the poverty line by census measures. Compare that with the 19 percent of Californians who live below the poverty line and the situation is clear. The census measures factor in housing costs and wellbeing with programs like food stamps and housing assistance. Altogether, the state government has made life for poor and middle class Californians nearly unbearable.

    How? California renters pay an average of $1,440 per month, much higher than the national average of $1,010 per month. In 2015, more than 40 percent of Californians spent over 30 percent of their income on housing. Today, 29 percent of them spend over half their earnings on housing. Median home values, at $529,000, are more than double the national median of $239,800. Residents who can afford rent or a mortgage are on the hook for electricity rates burdened by green initiatives and regulation that grew 500 percent faster than the national average from 2011 to 2017.

    “Not In My Backyard” development and construction restrictions mean that California cities are much more expensive for the poor, with Los Angeles having the highest proportion of income going towards rent in the nation. The state and its cities use environmental and zoning laws to restrict housing, which often disallows large scale development of apartments. The result? Less access for middle class residents.
    From 2011 to 2016, California increased spending on administration at more than double that of teacher pay. Its public employee system disincentivizes government thrift and saddles taxpayers with debt that outstrips the national average. A private sector employee would have to save $2.6 million to receive the same retirement as a California Highway Patrol officer. On top of a burdensome state income tax, California has the highest sales tax in the country along with property tax rates that disproportionately punish the poor and lead to housing problems.

    Traditional left wing prescriptions simply have not worked in the state, which an opinion column in the Los Angeles Times dubbed the “poverty capital” of the United States. Housing vouchers increase the cost of living. The number of those with no health insurance in California fell by more than half after the state expanded Medicaid, yet poverty remains near historic highs. California spends the third most per capita on welfare programs, yet its economy continues to fail the poor and middle class.

    Despite having just 12 percent of the national population, California represents nearly a third of all Americans on welfare. Federal taxpayers shell out more than half of the $6.7 billion in the California Work Opportunities and Responsibility to Kids program. In Texas, 6 percent of families in poverty receive welfare. In California, the figure is 66 percent. Can you guess where the poverty rate is lower? Not California.
    The combination of government overreach and ineffective programs creates a brutal dichotomy of very rich and very poor. California is the fourth most unequal state in the union with so many homeless who face diseases like typhus and hepatitis. The number of people living on the streets in California increased by nearly 14 percent to more than 130,000 in 2017. Mark Zuckerberg is worth $70 billion, while San Franciscans have an app that helps them track human feces on the sidewalk.

    In many ways, California has long been an example for the rest of the nation. But the middle class conservatism that propelled national figures like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan is gone. It has been replaced with virtue signaling and policies by the wealthy that hurt struggling families. Both sides of the coin, from technology executives to families unable to pay rent, vote for Democrats that only make the problem worse.
    The robber barons and artificially high real estate values in California brought its economy back to the fifth largest in the world. However, for the average person, Sacramento represents systemic political failure.
    "

    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ealth-gap-ever
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #213
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    44
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    15,963
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Likes
    25,509
    Liked 15,766 Times in 8,271 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Oh that will never happen. They've planned.

    That kind of stuff never happens to the responsible ones.
    It usually doesn't.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  5. #214
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,966
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:11 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,656 Times in 2,298 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Oh that will never happen. They've planned.

    That kind of stuff never happens to the responsible ones.
    LOL. Sure. Until the mortgage rates increase beyond affordability. Until one bad day turns lives upside down. Happens more nowadays than it doesn't. Bubbles are becoming rapidly smaller. Soon enough we'll all swim in the same sea.

  6. #215
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    47
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    22,777
    Last Online

    11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Likes
    5,753
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    LOL. Sure. Until the mortgage rates increase beyond affordability. Until one bad day turns lives upside down. Happens more nowadays than it doesn't. Bubbles are becoming rapidly smaller. Soon enough we'll all swim in the same sea.
    One medical illness could put you in the poor house and standing in line at Catholic Charities for a food basket.

  7. #216
    Atomic Punk Nostalgia Act's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,875
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 03:53 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 2,245 Times in 1,221 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Uh...a lot more than this. I work with some homeless outreach organizations around SoCal. The homelessness rate has shot up 76% in the last two years. The tent cities in downtown Los Angeles and downtown San Diego are more vast and desperate than they've ever been. It's truly disheartening. Anyone who thinks we're not at the edge of a no return situation regarding the class warfare in this country either isn't paying attention or doesn't want to. But California has always had a third world level class of people. Along the central 'gold' coast, there are a number of communities that harbor immigrant workers and the homeless, in truly stringent conditions. There's more freeway encampments under bridges, more wilderness off grid camps, more people living in their cars than ever before. We have the country's highest homeless rate because of our climate, and the fact that so many people who moved to California with dreams fell short. Current official estimates put the current number at 170-180 thousand homeless throughout CA, but it's more likely that it's nearly twice that, a quarter of which are children.
    We have tent city's here in Tulsa as well, but they are along the banks of the Arkansas river for the most part. Tulsa's downtown is surrounded by a loop, and there are homeless people that live under the overpasses. Several years back there was an article about people being bused in from other city's, because they had heard that Tulsa has outreach programs that could serve them better. Because of bad decisions and choice, my son was among them about 8 years ago. Opened my eyes to a few things. People do indeed fall through the cracks. I've tried to do my part since then to help out anyway I can. My employer also does quite a bit in that regard. Keep doing what you can VS.
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 11.02.18 at 12:33 PM.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #217
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40,732
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 04:35 PM
    Likes
    2,247
    Liked 10,999 Times in 6,157 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    One medical illness could put you in the poor house and standing in line at Catholic Charities for a food basket.
    Even more likely an increase of 2% in a mortgage rate (which will happen over the next year or so) has a chance to cripple a lot of people with open mortgages are barely making ends meet as it is.

  10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  11. #218
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,966
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:11 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,656 Times in 2,298 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    One medical illness could put you in the poor house and standing in line at Catholic Charities for a food basket.
    A couple weeks ago I was talking to a man on Skid Row in LA (I do some outreach there every other month) who'd done exactly that...along with his family of five. All because his insurance refused to cover a significant but rare diagnosis. Lost the house. The job. Now his kids have to eat Wonder bread and get picked up and dropped at Skid Row by the school bus.

    Anybody who really wants to know the real world needs to take a walk down 6th street in downtown Los Angeles.

    Or a walk through the slums of Fortaleza in Brazil.

    Or the foothills of Mexico City.

    And on...and on.

  12. #219
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    44
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    15,963
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Likes
    25,509
    Liked 15,766 Times in 8,271 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Even more likely an increase of 2% in a mortgage rate (which will happen over the next year or so) has a chance to cripple a lot of people with open mortgages are barely making ends meet as it is.
    When you say "open mortgages" I assume you're referring to adjustable rate mortgages?

    Over the last decade I'm not sure why anyone would have an adjustable rate mortgage with the historically low interest rates. It doesn't make sense unless for some reason you couldn't qualify.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  13. #220
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    26,966
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:11 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3,656 Times in 2,298 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia Act View Post
    We have tent city's here in Tulsa as well, but they are along the banks of the Arkansas river for the most part. Tulsa's downtown is surrounded by a loop, and there are homeless people that live under the overpasses. Several years back there was an article about people being bused in from other city's, because they had heard that Tulsa has outreach programs that could serve them better. Because of bad decisions and choice, my son was among them about 8 years ago. Opened my eyes to a few things. People do indeed fall through the cracks. I've tried to do my part since then to help out anyway I can. My employer also does quite a bit in that regard. Keep doing what you can VS.
    You too bud. It's all we can do. If everyone pitched a hand...this wouldn't be happening.

  14. #221
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40,732
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 04:35 PM
    Likes
    2,247
    Liked 10,999 Times in 6,157 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    When you say "open mortgages" I assume you're referring to adjustable rate mortgages?

    Over the last decade I'm not sure why anyone would have an adjustable rate mortgage with the historically low interest rates. It doesn't make sense unless for some reason you couldn't qualify.
    yup. Adjustable rates actually have been very good moves historically and in recent years, you're basically paying near nothing in interest and if you've continue to make the payment you would on a fixed rate (most don't) you'd be way ahead of the game. A good percentage of people though have borrowed to their limits and are in for a nasty surprise in the next couple of years. I'm just happy we're almost done paying off our place. 87 more weeks and we're done (not that I'm that counting or anything, lol)

  15. #222
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    47
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    22,777
    Last Online

    11.25.18 @ 06:41 PM
    Likes
    5,753
    Liked 11,189 Times in 6,765 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Fixed home rates or adjustable doesn't matter when it comes to catastrophic personal events and a medical emergency is more likely to destroy.

    All the insurance in the world isn't going to offset a major illness such as Cancer, Leukemia, Parkinson's etc and the testing required especially if it's the sole breadwinner that is afflicted. This is why I'm so militant on healthcare.

  16. #223
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    44
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    15,963
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 02:22 PM
    Likes
    25,509
    Liked 15,766 Times in 8,271 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    yup. Adjustable rates actually have been very good moves historically and in recent years, you're basically paying near nothing in interest and if you've continue to make the payment you would on a fixed rate (most don't) you'd be way ahead of the game. A good percentage of people though have borrowed to their limits and are in for a nasty surprise in the next couple of years. I'm just happy we're almost done paying off our place. 87 more weeks and we're done (not that I'm that counting or anything, lol)
    When my dad bought his first house his interest rate was something ridiculous like 18 or 19 percent. So I can understand why you'd take a chance with an adjustable rate mortgage in that scenario.

    When we bought our house we got a fixed rate at 3.75 percent. To me the likelihood of it ever going lower than that for an extended period of time was next to nothing so we didn't even consider an adjustable rate.

    Unfortunately we have more than 87 weeks to go before it's paid off.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  17. #224
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40,732
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 04:35 PM
    Likes
    2,247
    Liked 10,999 Times in 6,157 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Fixed home rates or adjustable doesn't matter when it comes to catastrophic personal events and a medical emergency is more likely to destroy.

    All the insurance in the world isn't going to offset a major illness such as Cancer, Leukemia, Parkinson's etc and the testing required especially if it's the sole breadwinner that is afflicted. This is why I'm so militant on healthcare.
    Some stuff is out of your control. Best to worry about the things that are in your control.

  18. #225
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    40,732
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    07.20.19 @ 04:35 PM
    Likes
    2,247
    Liked 10,999 Times in 6,157 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    When my dad bought his first house his interest rate was something ridiculous like 18 or 19 percent. So I can understand why you'd take a chance with an adjustable rate mortgage in that scenario.

    When we bought our house we got a fixed rate at 3.75 percent. To me the likelihood of it ever going lower than that for an extended period of time was next to nothing so we didn't even consider an adjustable rate.

    Unfortunately we have more than 87 weeks to go before it's paid off.
    Sounds like 80 or 81. My parents got me a 500 dollar Canada Savings bond that year (they had a fixed rate of like 17%). Talk about a nice return with no risk.

    We've been lucky we're going an entire mortgage with a high rate of 4%. Granted real estate is also more expensive, kind of balances out.

  19. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Die Hard 5
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03.01.10, 06:01 PM
  2. Live Free or Die Hard (Die Hard 4)
    By ZeoBandit in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 11.27.07, 09:58 PM
  3. "Dyin' Ain't So Hard For Men Like You And Me, It's Livin' That's Hard..."
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10.18.07, 03:54 AM
  4. Probably not too hard for you here
    By Chicoutimi CP in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09.23.06, 01:03 PM
  5. California Girls
    By Bob_R in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01.14.03, 03:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •