Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Boomer Esiason: Schedule C-section before season starts

Boomer: Schedule C-section before season starts. What???

Editor's note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. She is a mom of two. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.

(CNN) -- I really am speechless, which makes it that much harder to write this column. After everything I've seen covering modern parenting over the past several years, I kind of feel like nothing can really surprise me anymore.

Oh how wrong I was, because when I heard what Boomer Esiason said, the former football star and now CBS NFL analyst and radio host, I thought he had to be joking.

Did he really suggest that New York Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy should have encouraged his wife to have a C-section, which is major surgery, so that he wouldn't have to miss Opening Day?

Murphy's wife went into labor so he flew to be with her, missing the season's first two games. Major League Baseball allows a player to miss up to three games for paternity leave.

During a conversation on his radio show with co-host Craig Carton, Esiason, a father of two, said he would never have done what Murphy did.

"Quite frankly, I would have said C-section before the season starts," said Esiason. "I need to be at Opening Day. I'm sorry. This is what makes our money. This is how we're going to live our life. This is going to give my child every opportunity to be a success in life. I'll be able to afford any college I want to send my kid to because I'm a baseball player."

What about family, Esiason? What about not scheduling a major surgery that takes up to four weeks or longer to recover from ( I should know -- I had two unplanned C-sections!) just to avoid missing the first two games of a 160-plus game season?

For his part, Murphy, who's wife ended up having a C-section, is shrugging off any criticism of his decision.

"That's the choice of parents that they get to make," said Murphy. "That's the greatness of it. You discuss it with your spouse and you find out what you think works best for your family."

Not surprisingly, outrage in social media to Esiason's remarks was pointed solidly in one direction.

"There are so many reasons this is so wrong," said a mother on my Facebook page, who had three C-sections, none of them by choice.

"He has no idea what in the world he is talking about," she added. "(A C-section) is no walk in the park for mom or dad, whether you are a baseball player or not, whether you are in the off season or not."

Another woman, also on Facebook, cited what she called "the lack of sensitivity and sophistication" around these issues of gender and reproduction. "I also think (despite what he says), if it were (his) wife, he would not feel the same way."

Don't show me the money, said Sue Scheff, a parenting advocate and author, on Facebook, who criticized Esiason for suggesting that money should be more important than family. "Games happen a lot. How often is the birth of your child?" she asked.

"Easy for him to say, he'll never have to have one," said a man, who did not want to be identified, referring to a C-section.

Esiason made his comments during an exchange with his co-host, who thought Murphy should have gotten back to work once the baby was born instead of taking an additional day of paternity leave. (Another WFAN radio host, Mike Francesa, also took issue with Murphy being out for two games.)

In Esiason's defense, his first comments when the subject came up were that Murphy had "legal rights to be there if he wants to be there."

As a football player, he's also coming from the mindset of his sport, and how key players haven't traditionally missed one of the season's games for a birth, noted @heymatt on Twitter. In fact, Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco's wife gave birth one hour before game time in September and Flacco played that game against the Cleveland Browns.

But what got under people's skin, more than anything, was the idea of suggesting a wife have major surgery to accommodate her husband's sports schedule.

"Major surgery should only be used when medically advised, not for convenience," said @elia_eltringham, also on Twitter.

C-sections may be scheduled because of the estimated size of the child and the age of the mother, or if a mother had a prior C-section, doctors say. Some women have chosen to have them because of fears of incontinence after a vaginal birth.

Nearly a third of births are currently done by C-section, which is a significant jump from the 20 percent of deliveries resulting in C-sections in 1996, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Dr. Lillian Schapiro of Atlanta said she has seen a movement away from scheduled C-sections in her practice.

"I would say a few years ago, there was more of a trend to have scheduled C-sections and now there is much more a move back to allowing nature to run its course, and people wanting to have a more natural experience," said Schapiro, an OB/GYN doctor affiliated with Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta.

Dr. Lynn Friedman, on OB/GYN with Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, and one of my doctors during my pregnancies, said her practice also hasn't seen a rise in elective C-sections.

"A purely elective (C-section) ... someone who just says I don't want to labor, I mean that's not that common and that's really still very much discouraged," said Friedman.

"For someone to say my career is something that would make my wife schedule a section ... I think in the 21st centruy ... that's really still a very sexist thing to say, and I think a ball team should understand that their player should be with his wife. I mean, I just think that's grotesque."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/04/living...leave-parents/

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:29 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

I think the criticism of Murphy was absolutely ridiculous. Some things are more important than a baseball game.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

This is getting blown out of proportion for media exposure... right?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Probably. The joy of playing in new York. Mlb players reguarly miss games in this situation. But boomer and francesca sound like cavemen.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Boomer is one of the best ever IMO. Always a very level headed guy with good takes. First time I can ever recall him saying something completely ridiculous.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    [B][SIZE="4"]

"Quite frankly, I would have said C-section before the season starts," said Esiason. "I need to be at Opening Day. I'm sorry. This is what makes our money. This is how we're going to live our life. This is going to give my child every opportunity to be a success in life. I'll be able to afford any college I want to send my kid to because I'm a baseball player."
    wow.

I think missing opening day will not put Murphy in the poorhouse ( 2014 Salary: $5,700,000) nor will it ruin the team's chance to win the World Series.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

It's a game. It's entertainment.

Life is more important than that. If he missed game 7 of the World Series I would be okay with it too.

Besides, it's the fucking Mets. It's not like they were going to be good anyway.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Boomer is one of the best ever IMO. Always a very level headed guy with good takes. First time I can ever recall him saying something completely ridiculous.
    Maybe Boomer is thinking in regards to football where the season is only 16 games and every game really counts. Murphy is playing a sport that has 162 games and he'd be missing the first 2 games?! What is the big deal?
    Maybe if he was a star QB on an NFL team it would be a different story, but Murphy is, at best, an average player on a baseball team.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 18,084 Times in 8,934 Posts

Boomer always has been, is now, and probably always will be an uber douche that thinks he is God's gift to humanity.

He's a left handed, more annoying version of Joe Theismann.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Maybe Boomer is thinking in regards to football where the season is only 16 games and every game really counts. Murphy is playing a sport that has 162 games and he'd be missing the first 2 games?! What is the big deal?
    Maybe if he was a star QB on an NFL team it would be a different story, but Murphy is, at best, an average player on a baseball team.
    that's what i thought to at first, but clearly he was talking about Murphy's situation specifically when he says his wife should had a C-Section before opening day.

His only saving grace in NYC is that Mike Francesa (another sports radio host in New York) made Boomer look reasonable in comparison. He went off on Murphy and basically called paternity leave a scam.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

that he would even suggest that it would be better to subject his wife to a major surgery so that he would not have to miss a game it mind blowing

usually I like that guy, but wow, what a boneheaded thing to say

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

So Esiason apologized to Murphy and his wife this morning. And Francesa's comments were kinda taken out of context. Sounds like he was slamming any player who would take the full 10-day paternity leave. It's still bullshit that these comments were made and this situation was even put in the spotlight at all.

Radio host Mike Francesa stands by Daniel Murphy paternity leave comments after heavy criticism

New York Mets' Daniel Murphy stands during the seventh inning of a baseball game against the Washington Nationals at Citi Field, Thursday, April 3, 2014, in New York. Murphy is proud he put fatherhood ahead of baseball, and New York Mets manager Terry Collins thinks criticism his second baseman received for taking paternity leave this week was unfair. Murphy made his season debut Thursday three days after the birth of son Noah.

Sports talk radio personality Mike Francesa is standing by his comments after criticizing New York Mets player Daniel Murphy for taking two games off because of the birth of his son.
    Francesca made the comments on WFAN, which is owned by CBS.

On Wednesday, Francesa spent 20 minutes of his talk show to paternity leave, ranting that no man should be allowed a 10-day leave, calling it a "gimmick" and a "scam."

On Thursday, he responded to his critics, standing by his comments, including those about first-time dad Murphy.

Francesa said his comments about paternity leave have been taken out of context. "I was really speaking to someone who has a job like a Major League player like Murphy," he said. "Or, someone like me, you have a unique job, and you have the wherewithal to maybe afford care that some people may not, stuff like that, then you get back to work."

However, Boomer Esiason, who also criticized Murphy on a separate WFAN show, apologized on Friday's broadcast. Esiason, who said Wednesday that Murphy should have arranged for his wife to have a Caesarean section before Opening Day, said he reached out to the Murphy and the Mets and is "truly sorry" for his "insensitive comments."

On Thursday, Murphy was back at work playing second base in a home game against the Washington Nationals.

He missed two games after taking the three days allowed after his wife gave birth.

"I think having her husband and having me there was a great support system for her and, put in the same situation, I would gladly do it again," he said.

Social media exploded with support for Murphy. One man tweeted: "As a new dad, this story is infuriating. The comments from Francesa and Esiason are beyond stupid, and sexist."

Another said, "And why does Daniel Murphy have to defend his paternity leave? The insinuation that you should be anything but a family man first is disgusting."

Murphy isn't alone -- three other baseball players have taken paternity leaves this season, permitted under a collective bargaining agreement signed three years ago.

In 2012, Boston Red Sox player Dustin Pedroia fled the field during the seventh inning after learning his wife was in labor.

But when Murphy missed the first two games of the season for the birth of his son, it inspired a heated response from New York sports radio hosts.

Francesa went so far as to attack any man who takes the full federal leave. "But why would you have to take 10 days off? What are you doing?" he said. "You didn't have the baby. Why do you need to get 10 days off?"

Professor Scott Behson, a Fairleigh Dickinson University professor, specializes in work-family balance. He said, "It's kind of somewhat of a typical old-school reaction.

For years, Behson said, the equation ignored men.

"There is increasingly a recognition that it's not a working women's issue, it's not even a working man's issue, it's a family issue, it's an employee issue," he said.

The Mets are standing by Murphy's decision.

Manager Terry Collins noted that Murphy missed only one game last season. He said, "There's nothing wrong with it, two games, it's not like he's missed 10. So when you start attacking Dan Murphy's credibility, you need to looking in the mirror a little bit."

Both Esiason and Francesa have children and both men were back to work the same day or the next, but as a football player, Esiason only played 16 games in a regular season and Francesa reportedly takes much of his summers off, CBS News' Vinita Nair added on "CTM."
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

They weren't taken out of context. He was critical of Murphy for not returning immediately after the birth.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

somebody got to Boomer pretty damn quickly.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ternity-leave/

The other day, Boomer Esisason — co-host of the Boomer & Carton show on WFAN — took on the subject of Daniel Murphy taking paternity leave. His opinion: in Esiason’s words, Murphy should “get his ass back to work.” Boomer also said that Murphy’s wife should’ve had a C-section before the season started so Murphy didn’t miss any time.

This was insane, of course, and in the past 48 hours Esiason either reacquainted himself with sanity or had his wife smack him over the head, because today he apologized. And it was a very good, and heartfelt apology:

“I just want to say again on this radio show that in no way, shape or form was I advocating anything for anybody to do. I was not telling women what to do with their bodies. I would never do that. That’s their decision, that’s their life and they know their bodies better than I do. And the other thing, too, that I really felt bad about is that Daniel Murphy and Tori Murphy were dragged into a conversation, and their whole life was exposed. And it shouldn’t have been.

“And that is my fault. That is my fault for uttering the word ‘C-section’ on this radio station. And it all of a sudden put their lives under a spotlight, and for that I truly apologize. I tried to reach out to Daniel yesterday through intermediaries over there at the New York Mets, and to his credit, he answered all of his questions yesterday. I’m sorry that he had to go through that. No man should have to go through that. And certainly Daniel Murphy, who we both admire much as a baseball player as anybody else — and all I can say is that I truly, truly, feel terrible about what I put them through. So for that I certainly apologize.”

Esiason, from what can be told from his public record, is a dedicated father and husband who has gone above and beyond the call of duty both in taking care of his own son (who has special needs) and doing charitable work for others. So when I heard this the other day I was rather surprised. My guess: this is one of those situations where the talk radio medium took over the thinking parts of his brain. The lingua franca of that world is calling out athletes for being soft and playing up to the dude-bro listenership who like to hear that stuff, and it’s easy to auto-pilot in that mode if you let yourself.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

I know my wife was exhausted after giving birth to our first 9 months ago, but it would be even worse with a C section. That's a major surgery and you can't do anything for a week. Even after a traditional birth, my wife still needed help getting in and out of bed, couldn't drive to get anything, and was extremely tired.

Plus, babies have no schedule and require feedings constantly through the day--and night--which makes it difficult to get extended periods of rest.

I get that someone making millions of dollars may have the financial wherewithall to hire a nanny or nurse, but why do that when you could spend time helping your child and your wife? He's not fighting a war for the survival of the country, he's playing a damn baseball game for our entertainment.

These guys are a couple of meatheads who think sports = life. I love sports as much as anyone, but come on, there are more important things in life.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.