Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Sammy's Conflicting Statements about Religion

So as I grow older, I've noticed that while I may be more spiritual, I'm less religious. This isn't meant to be a debate about religion, and if you're not interested in this type of thing, click off.

As I try to figure out my place in this universe, I read everything I can get my hands on about religion, atheism, etc. I also find it interesting when celebrities talk about their religious beliefs, especially when they are ones that I follow more than others.

Which brings me to Sammy. In an interview touting his (then) new album, Sammy and Friends, Sam had this to say about Personal Jesus, his remake of the Depeche Mode tune:
    "But that's why I try to take it to church, man. I went out and got gospel singers from the East Bay to sing those parts, because I wanted to take this thing to church to make it almost more religious. When you sing "Jesus," that's a powerful word. And I'm not even religious. I felt a little uncomfortable there. I felt like it was blasphemy. It's a bit weird.

I did that with the gospel singers because I felt guilty. I don't like fucking with the devil and I don't like fucking with God. Those things are sacred and I'm a little bit afraid of them, so it's like I don't want to do anything to cross the devil, and I don't want to do anything to cross Jesus, just in case there is such a thing."
    Okay, fair enough. He is respectful of a higher power and doesn't want to be disrespectful, maybe as much to his fans that believe in something, more than anything else.

Flash to the beginning of the Chickentfoot live DVD, Get Your Buzz On. In the beginning of the thing, Sam and the band are huddled, and are doing some pretty heavy-duty "praying" talking about the resurrection and the light, etc. I thought this was a strange inclusion on the DVD, and it sort of took me surprise. Sam has always been a bit mystical about his religion, and to include something private like that right before they go on the stage was surprising to me.

I know he's tackled religion in his lyrics...Seventh Seal...and he's certainly been more blasphemous than the Personal Jesus remake. As a matter of fact in the song, Up for Breakfast, he explained the line "you treat me like your own personal Jesus" to mean that the woman is on her knees, in front of the man, pleasuring him.

Maybe, like all of us, he goes through different phases. Maybe Satch is really religious and makes the band do that...maybe, he has no idea what he believes. Please don't give the why do you care speech. I have my reasons and I find this stuff interesting. Again, it's all a personal spiritual journey.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 7,878 Times in 4,604 Posts

Premium Member

Despite his stature in life, Sam is no different than anyone else when it comes to the topic of religion.

One day we're on and the next day we're off. Sam is in a unique position isn't he? On the one hand, he is treated like a God, in that people look up to him, but he has all the pleasures of the Devil at his disposal too.

I would struggle with this if I was in his shoes. He's happily married but we also know that he loves the ladies and having a good time. This is reflected in his lyrics. It's got to be VERY challenging to want to walk closer with God and trying to reconcile that within a carnal world. Especially the world of rock-n-roll.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Despite his stature in life, Sam is no different than anyone else when it comes to the topic of religion.

One day we're on and the next day we're off. Sam is in a unique position isn't he? On the one hand, he is treated like a God, in that people look up to him, but he has all the pleasures of the Devil at his disposal too.

I would struggle with this if I was in his shoes. He's happily married but we also know that he loves the ladies and having a good time. This is reflected in his lyrics. It's got to be VERY challenging to want to walk closer with God and trying to reconcile that within a carnal world. Especially the world of rock-n-roll.
    Great insights, CC. I just find it intriguing that his pendulum swings so erratically.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

He does definitely swing about his beleifs, but who cares. Maybe hes indecisive about it. I have read of recent though he believes in god, but I don't think he goes overboard on it or attends church.
    Strange, cause in "Mine all mine" hes telling us he believes in himself, and not some higher power, person or spiritual thing.
    I know that hes dead against tv evangilists cause he sings about that in "Buying my way into heaven".
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Viewpoints change as you get older. You see different things and gain a different take on life in general. Religion, relationships, kids, jobs all take on different meanings over time.

The other thing that hasn't been brought up is perhaps they are just words to fill the lyrics.

Funny, "Buying My Way Into Heaven" came up on the iPod this morning. Sammy makes light of the evangelical phenomenon in the 80's when people would send their last dime to an evangelist hoping for priority in the afterlife.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Some people are very religious....some people have no interest. A lot fall somewhere in between.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

I guess my main point was the beginning of the Chickenfoot DVD. They are repeating scripture. That's not something somebody who is sometimes on and sometimes off does. I went to 8 years of catholic school, and I have my own personal thing going on with God, but I certainly don't recite it like that..

More importantly, I think, and perplexing is that he put it on the DVD. Why? To sell more to his Christian public? Or he's more religious than he lets on?

Maybe it's too much discussion about one little thing, but again, I'm intrigued.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.28.17 @ 04:27 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Sammy is very into UFO's that is not mainstream Christianity. Sammy also has a very deep knowledge about faith and even the trinity going back to 3 lock box. Sam is basically a believer in Christ, God,Satan, Aliens, fortune tellers etc. I have always considered him new age but very open to what others think.

And that is my two cents
    Montrose
    8-23-74

Sammy Hagar
    3-8-77, Sacramento
    11-20-77 Stockton
    4-15-78 Concord
    9-4-78 Sacramento
    12-31-78 Cow Palace
    5-6-79 Oakland
    10-19-79 Oakland
    7-4-80 Oakland
    11-6-81 Reno
    3-26-82 Cow Palace
    1-19-85 Cow Palace
    8-19-97 Sacramento
    7-7-99 Sacramento
    8-16-03 Sacramento
    9-10-11 Tahoe
    9-5-13 Sacramento

David lee Roth
    8-3-99 Sacramento

Van Halen
    7-23-78 Oakland
    11-1-86-Cow Palace
    7-17-88-Candlestick park
    11-21-88 -Sacramento
    9-9-91 Sacramento
    8-22-93 Sacramento
    5-15-95 Sacramento
    10-13-95 Sacramento
    11-27-07 Sacramento

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 7,878 Times in 4,604 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    I guess my main point was the beginning of the Chickenfoot DVD. They are repeating scripture. That's not something somebody who is sometimes on and sometimes off does. I went to 8 years of catholic school, and I have my own personal thing going on with God, but I certainly don't recite it like that..

More importantly, I think, and perplexing is that he put it on the DVD. Why? To sell more to his Christian public? Or he's more religious than he lets on?

Maybe it's too much discussion about one little thing, but again, I'm intrigued.
    Another thing to consider, and this is going to sound cynical, but Sam is getting on in years and what tends to happen is many people past a certain age, try to "buy their way" into Heaven, if you know what I mean.

This doesn't necessarily mean monetary wise but more trying to get "right with God" by doing those things that will help their case, if you will. Sam led a very decadent lifestyle for many years and this could be an awareness of that fact.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Yep, that actually makes a lot of sense. The closer one gets to his/her mortality, the more religious or spiritual they get....I see a lot of evidence of this.

I guess if I ever had a chance to ask him....

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 6,972 Times in 5,008 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Another thing to consider, and this is going to sound cynical, but Sam is getting on in years and what tends to happen is many people past a certain age, try to "buy their way" into Heaven, if you know what I mean.

This doesn't necessarily mean monetary wise but more trying to get "right with God" by doing those things that will help their case, if you will. Sam led a very decadent lifestyle for many years and this could be an awareness of that fact.
    I happen to agree with ya . Well said , CC .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Humankind shares the universal experience of contemplating what lies in the darkness ahead.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Humankind shares the universal experience of contemplating what lies in the darkness ahead.
    More like some people fear what they don't see.
    It's like when humankind thought the Earth was flat.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Sam's brain was downloaded by alien! Once you know this, then all bets are off when it comes to the rhyme or reason of his beliefs. It's most likely a hodge-podge mish mash of 60s california hippy stuff, alien science fiction madness, and plain ole common sense doubting. Sam's crazy, but in a good way!
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Sam's brain was downloaded by alien! Once you know this, then all bets are off when it comes to the rhyme or reason of his beliefs. It's most likely a hodge-podge mish mash of 60s california hippy stuff, alien science fiction madness, and plain ole common sense doubting. Sam's crazy, but in a good way!
    My favorite is when Sam said he was trying to talk with Joe about astrology and Joe ended the conversation by saying, "I don't believe in that shit."