Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

The Pressures on Men

The OUTRAGE!!!

www.theonion.com

Increasing Number Of Men Pressured To Accept Realistic Standards Of Female Beauty

News • gender • News • ISSUE 50•13 • Apr 2, 2014

More men are speaking out against the pervasive depictions of average women in the media, which have left them feeling demoralized and compelled to accept unwelcome ideals of beauty.

NEW YORK—Confronted on a regular basis with images of women who represent a diverse array of body types, a growing number of American men are reportedly feeling pressured to accept the increasingly realistic standards of female beauty now depicted in the media, social scientists confirmed this week.

“More and more, men today find themselves bombarded with un-retouched images, and with that comes the considerable mental burden of trying to reconcile what they see in these ads and magazines with their personal perceptions of beauty,” said sociologist Cliff Hillard, who studies attainable ideals of female attractiveness in the media and how they can create an overly realistic sense of what women ought to look like. “For most men, it’s very discouraging. Instead of seeing only rail-thin models, they’re now exposed to accurate representations of women whose proportions mimic those of actual human females.”

“Think about the average man flipping through a magazine that features pictures of women who haven’t had their cheekbones raised or their noses reshaped with Photoshop,” Hillard continued. “How is he supposed to feel when he sees something like that?”

Every day, according to Hillard, men are faced with “inescapable” displays of average-sized women, women who are representatively diverse in terms of race and ethnicity, and women who are not professional models. According to one recent study, the average man sees photographs of women without digitally exaggerated bust-to-waist ratios dozens of times per day on TV, billboards, and the sides of buses, which the findings suggest has a demoralizing effect on the male psyche and has been shown to negatively influence men’s self-esteem and mood the more often they view such images.

Hillard noted that major companies like Dove, H&M, and Ralph Lauren now use nontraditional models in their advertising campaigns, an increasingly popular trend that, according to the sociologists’ research, ultimately serves to make men feel upset and frustrated when the women in commercials don’t live up to their own personal fantasies.

“Nowadays I can’t even leave the house without seeing an ad featuring properly proportioned women of statistically normal weights,” said San Diego–based civil engineer Spencer DeLane, adding that some of the models’ bodies are “startlingly average.” “Sometimes I don’t even want to go online or turn on the television because I know I’ll see a regular, healthy-looking woman. Don’t these advertisers understand how deeply depressing that is for me?”

“It’s not fair to me, and it’s not fair to other men like me,” he continued. “Having to live with society’s expectations that I accept women just the way they are takes an enormous toll.”

In a recent USA Today poll, 87 percent of men said that in the past month they’d seen an ad that made them feel inadequate by challenging their conceptions of physical beauty. Within that group, 74 percent said they’d seen a model posing without makeup and 83 said they’d seen visible blemishes, with a further 62 percent reporting that they’d seen a model with slight wrinkles around her eyes that “could very easily have been digitally or surgically removed.”

Armed with mounting evidence that men can feel crushed under the heavy mental strain to appreciate all types of women, Hillard questioned the costs of depicting them in a sensible way that reflects their natural physical variance.

“Here you’ve got a generation of boys who will grow up looking at women in the media and seeing flaws here, flaws there, flaws everywhere—what are they supposed to think?” said Hillard, who noted that his 12-year-old son is just now beginning to objectify women and that such portrayals could grossly alter what he perceives as an idealized female form for the rest of his life. “That’s why it’s more important than ever to empower men so they can teach themselves to ignore these ads and images.”

“We men simply need to have conviction in our own ideas of what makes a woman beautiful,” he added.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 18,084 Times in 8,934 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post

“We men simply need to have conviction in our own ideas of what makes a woman beautiful,” he added.
    I agree with him, and survey says the top three are:

Firm ass, big perky tits, and the ability to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

If she has those, everything else is negotiable.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Firm ass, big perky tits, and the ability to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch
    Ok, but they have to be perky. None of this laying down on the job stuff.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Although this piece is satirical, there is a bigger message to be gleaned and that is the totally unrealistic 'fantasy' image of women, that the media has promoted for decades.

I'm male. I appreciate a good looking woman but what I'm bombarded with everyday is so ridiculous that it's comical. For example, the college I attend is filled to the brim with the most plastic looking, OTT, slathered-on makeup faces, I have ever seen. There is no such thing as natural beauty anymore nor does the media ever promote the 'average woman' in their magazines, television programs, and movies.

What changed over the centuries in regards to what was deemed 'attractive' about women? Hollywood? We have all seen how women looked 100 years ago and it's a far cry from what is considered 'spank material' now days. This article is funny because I could totally see a lot of men pining for the return of their air-brushed fantasies.

There is a newspaper here called The Sun which has a feature called "Page 3". On this page, a naked woman is showcased right next to the important news of the day. There is a campaign to implore the paper to voluntarily get rid of this page as it serves no other purpose than to give men a cheap thrill. The age of a lot of these girls is about 16 years old! For decades, young girls in the UK have been subjected to the cartoonesque images, of pouty-lipped models, who pose in the most exaggerated ways, that elicit laughter. Of course, the higher-ups at the paper who are all men btw, refuse to even consider how ridiculous it is, to have this in their newspaper. "It's a tradition".

One day there was an article about how sexual crimes against women were on the rise in the UK and right next to it was a Page 3 model!

I'm not trying to preach to anybody or come off as holier-than-thou because I used to have the same image of what I thought was a hot woman, but as I got older, that changed. I can't explain it but I just don't see the allure of feeding this addiction of constantly looking at phony, plastic, air-brushed, women that would never even look in most of our directions.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Hmm, I never feel bombarded by any of it.

You can tell when a picture has been touched up and photo-shopped, like Nicole Kidman's new Jimmy Choo ads in which she looks like she is 17 years old.

But there is plenty of un-touched up beautiful women out there, you just have to click on the "Amateur" category

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Hmm, I never feel bombarded by any of it.

You can tell when a picture has been touched up and photo-shopped, like Nicole Kidman's new Jimmy Choo ads in which she looks like she is 17 years old.

But there is plenty of un-touched up beautiful women out there, you just have to click on the "Amateur" category
    I find the fact that you don't consider yourself "bombarded" very interesting, and would argue that that is because you (all of us) are so used to seeing images like those mentioned, that we don't even bat an eyelid. Far more astounding would be to see a 'normal' woman, with a 'normal' body, the odd blemish, or a spot of cellulite gracing a magazine cover or advertisement.

Furthermore, your comment about having to go online to do specific searches for "amateur" pictures of average women is very telling. A specific search is required to see those types of pictures - because they're not the ones on the billboards, in the newspapers, or on the television - so, really, the fact that you have to conduct a specific search actually belies your claim that we're "not bombarded" with digitally enhanced, photoshopped images. Of COURSE we are - in fact, I defy you to find any mainstream publication that features models who haven't been smoothed-out, limbs lengthened, and slimmed-down.

So, yes, whilst the article I posted is satirical - and pretty flamin' funny - it isn't so far removed from the truth...We'd be GOBSMACKED if we saw even the most gorgeous models as they really are - complete with zits, moles, under-eye shadows, etc etc. And that's just the MODELS! Imagine if - God forbid - a woman with slightly more realistic proportions was featured more prominently (and regularly) in the media - the world might end!!!

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

I think women are more bombarded with unrealistic images of women more than men are.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think women are more bombarded with unrealistic images of women more than men are.
    I think both sexes see the images just as frequently - but women probably take them more to heart, because we're always being 'told' that that is how we should look- and if we don't, then we're failures. That is, after all, how advertising works, on the whole - and we all know that selling women products to make them prettier, slimmer, younger-looking is a huuuge industry: an industry based on lies, which fuels feelings of self-loathing. Sad.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

"Hey Honey .. there's a Messerschmitt in the kitchen"

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think both sexes see the images just as frequently - but women probably take them more to heart, because we're always being 'told' that that is how we should look- and if we don't, then we're failures. That is, after all, how advertising works, on the whole - and we all know that selling women products to make them prettier, slimmer, younger-looking is a huuuge industry: an industry based on lies, which fuels feelings of self-loathing. Sad.
    You of course knew this was coming....

I think women blaming it on advertisers is I'm sorry, a bunch of crap. It's like the fat guy saying it's all McDonald's fault.

It's being advertised to women because they buy into it. If women wanted to change how they were being advertised to, it would be easy to do. STOP BUYING ALL THE FEMININE BEAUTY PRODUCTS and guess what? They'll stop bombarding you with ads to buy it.

Lip gloss and this other shit you ladies buy is not a necessity of life, you can do fine without it. One of our partners doesn't wear makeup, and she's beautiful, no one notices.

Women could end it in a year if they wanted to, they have the ability to make the change, will they? Of course not. So instead, let's blame the mean old advertisers.

Please.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

You of course knew this was coming....

I think women blaming it on advertisers is I'm sorry, a bunch of crap. It's like the fat guy saying it's all McDonald's fault.

It's being advertised to women because they buy into it. If women wanted to change how they were being advertised to, it would be easy to do. STOP BUYING ALL THE FEMININE BEAUTY PRODUCTS and guess what? They'll stop bombarding you with ads to buy it.

Lip gloss and this other shit you ladies buy is not a necessity of life, you can do fine without it. One of our partners doesn't wear makeup, and she's beautiful, no one notices.

Women could end it in a year if they wanted to, they have the ability to make the change, will they? Of course not. So instead, let's blame the mean old advertisers.

Please.
    Nowhere in my post (had you read it properly) do I "blame" advertisers. That would be incredibly naïve and short-sighted of me - and I'm neither of those things. Advertising is just one symptom of a societal malaise - it buys into and feeds off the ideology of the day, and in turn helps to perpetuate it.

It's very easy to say that women should just simply stop buying lip-gloss, etc and things would change - but it's not so easy to do, in actual fact, when one feels 'downgraded' for NOT looking her best. I am intelligent enough to be fully aware of all of this - but I still succumb to the pressures inflicted upon me: to try to look younger (because older women are, at best, invisible; at worst, somehow 'offensive' within our youth-obsessed culture) to wear make-up; to apply face-cream; to pay a fortune for hair products and slimming-aids...When I don't do those things, I don't feel as confident in myself or my appearance, and, without my lippy or eyeliner, I've been asked on more than one occasion if I'm "under the weather", or told that I "look tired".

A woman's self-esteem is still, (even today, when we have education, careers, sport, everything at our fingertips it seems), more often than not based upon the way she looks - which is wrong; very wrong - and yes, things DO need to change. A good starting point would be not so much to blame the gullibility of women, but to encourage the media (and that doesn't just mean advertisers, by the way) to show women as they really are, building the average woman's confidence so that she DOES feel more able to stand up to, reject, and ultimately change social mores.

Incidentally...I'm curious...Would there be many 'normal' women in the BG thread? You know, those without either surgical or digital enhancement, or even make-up??? Or do women like that 'not make the grade'..? Because, really, if there aren't many 'real' women in there, then you're just as guilty as anyone else of making women feel dependent on that pot of lip-gloss, aren't you, no matter how vociferously you protest your admiration for natural beauty...

Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Something I just discovered...Out of curiosity, I just put "natural looking women" into Google images...Admittedly, I only scrolled down about two pages - but do you know something? Not ONE of those women was without make-up or coiffed hair; not ONE of them was overweight, and not ONE of them was over 40...

Just about says it all...Ladies - if you ain't young, slim, with perfect features, good hair and make-up, then you're not 'natural' and we don't want to acknowledge your existence.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

men go through the same thing. Women love to say that they can't live up to the Barbie role model they are given as children. Well who did boys look at as cartoon characters as kids? well for me it was this guy:

about as reasonable as a girl looking up to Barbie I would say.

Most men understand that our wives or girlfriends aren't going to look like a supermodel. Most women understand that men won't look like a model either. Some do expect this. We call those people morons (Or they are super rich and in those cases then maybe they're right). Most of the pressure on regular women is put on them from other women and not us dudes. Personally, I think a girl looks her best wearing a pair of track pants and a hockey jersey on. But that's just me.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Something I just discovered...Out of curiosity, I just put "natural looking women" into Google images...Admittedly, I only scrolled down about two pages - but do you know something? Not ONE of those women was without make-up or coiffed hair; not ONE of them was overweight, and not ONE of them was over 40...

Just about says it all...Ladies - if you ain't young, slim, with perfect features, good hair and make-up, then you're not 'natural' and we don't want to acknowledge your existence.

i'm sure keying "natural looking men" in a search engine returns a bunch of fat, old dudes. right?