Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default Tuners

For the first Frank I made, I went all out and got Sperzel tuners and a Floyd Rose with a locking nut.

I got to thinking about it -- and I've thought about this several times before -- but is there any reason to have anything but just basic-level tuners if you have a tune lock? All I'm thinking is that the tuners are downstream from the tune lock, so how much does it really matter?

I mean I know I don't want completely crap tuners, but isn't really all up to the fine tuners after the nut is locked? Seems like badass, high-quality tuners should be pretty much reserved for non-locking nuts.

Let me know your thoughts if you have any.

KBD3

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I thought tuners didn't matter until I got a real bad set on my Frankie. I don't know what brand they were, but it could take more than a revolution of the key to get it to turn the string at all. It was a real hassle. I sniped a set of NOS Schallers on eBay for $35 delivered and never looked back. Plenty lesser ones will do, but bad tuners suck.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post

I got to thinking about it -- and I've thought about this several times before -- but is there any reason to have anything but just basic-level tuners if you have a tune lock? All I'm thinking is that the tuners are downstream from the tune lock, so how much does it really matter?

I mean I know I don't want completely crap tuners, but isn't really all up to the fine tuners after the nut is locked? Seems like badass, high-quality tuners should be pretty much reserved for non-locking nuts.

Let me know your thoughts if you have any.

KBD3
    You get what you pay for.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 04.02.14 at 11:49 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

I'm not really fretting about it (no pun intended). And yeah, you can get Sperzels on eBay for half-price of retail. Seems like it's more important to get the good stuff at a reasonable price than go cheap period.

I know tuners can make or break a lot of guitars though, for sure. Not sure I even knew what good tuners were until I got my first Gibson.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

If you want to be more accurate on a Frankenstein replica that is based on the current state of the guitar, you might want to opt for crown head Gotoh tuners if you can find a set on eBay. The other eras of the Frankenstein when it had the Floyd Rose and different necks were I believe Schallers (jimi? I know that you know exactly which Schallers were used on the various necks in the Floyd Rose era)...

I can't remember which tuners were on the original Bee neck which later went on the early r/b/w Frankenstein, but I believe they were Schallers as well.

Of course the original Lynn Ellsworth/Boogie Bodies neck from the black and white '77-'78 era Frankenstein were very specific...the "D" logo Schallers. I opted to put locking Sperzels on my '78 replica, but I did use "D" logo Schallers on my '75 Ibanez Destroyer. The "D" logo Schallers were used on the very earliest 1975 NAMM prototypes of the Ibanez Destroyers so that was accurate to my guitar.I got that guitar on eBay and the fool that owned it before me got rid of the "Star" tuners and replaced them with Grover mini's-which didn't work well, weren't accurate and looked bad, so I replaced them with the more correct "D" logo Schallers. I got a set on eBay for $25 including shipping.

Good Schaller tuners are not expensive...just buy those and avoid anything else. Once the nut is locked it doesn't matter, but if you are learning or playing along with the recordings, you'll need to tune differently a lot anyway, and in that sense it DOES matter.

I try to use the best parts for all my stuff, even if it is a little more expensive...but usually it isn't appreciably more expensive in my experience. Just get the good stuff and be happy!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    You get what you pay for.
    Yup pretty much