Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default New Common Core Documentary That Will Start Arguments on Both Sides of the Debate

‘Building the Machine’

The nonprofit Home School Legal Defense Association is out with a short documentary about the development of the Common Core educational standards.

The nearly 40-minute “Building the Machine” traces the history of Common Core, particularly the secrecy in which the standards were developed. Forty-four states, as well as the District of Columbia, have adopted the Common Core State Standards Initiative that advocates say prepares students for achievement in life, and that detractors say amounts to a national curriculum because of the federal grants tied to its adoption.

Jim Stergios, executive director of the Massachusetts-based Pioneer Institute, a research organization that has been active in opposing Common Core, said there were no public debates or hearings about the curriculum, as was common when states created similar standards in the past.

Stergios also said he believes Common Core is harmful to family structures.

“It takes power from the parents,” he said, “it de-incentives parents from a deep and abiding interest in a child’s education.”

Michael Petrilli, executive vice president at the Fordham Institute, an education think tank, denied that Common Core was built secretly, and said all of its standards are available online.

The documentary showcases President Barack Obama touting his Race to the Top federal funding initiative, and former Republican Govs. Jeb Bush (Fla.) and Mike Huckabee (Ark.) endorsing Common Core standards.

“Building the Machine” also delves into Common Core’s corporate connection, including how the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation gave millions of dollars in grants to help push the program. Among the recipients of the reported $200 million the Gates Foundation donated in 2013 alone are the U.S. Department of Education, the National Governors Association, the Fordham Institute and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

The documentary features interviews with Sandra Stotsky, formerly of the Massachusetts Department of Education, and Jim Milgram, a professor at Stanford University. Both were part of the 30-member Common Core validation committee, yet neither said they approved of the standards.

They spoke about secrecy issues around Common Core as well as the problems with the standards.

“I think Common Core is more damaging than beneficial in English language arts,” Stotsky said. “It’s diminishing literary study in the English curriculum.”

Milgram, who has taught at Stanford for more than 40 years, voice his opposition this way: “The result [is] … the ‘dumbing down’ of a system that is the only system that is giving us the long term economic support we require.”

A representative from the Home School Legal Defense Association said they wanted to create a “fair and balanced” presentation that would encourage people to look deeper into Common Core and to do their own research on the standards now working their way into the nation’s schools.

You can see the entire documentary here.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

‘Ashamed’ Teacher Calls Common Core Exams ‘Institutional Abuse’

May. 5, 2014

A Long Island, New York elementary school teacher who gained national attention for blogging that he was ashamed for his role in administering Common Core tests to students told TheBlaze he wants to see the K-12 math and science standards done away with in his state.

“I’d like to see it repealed,” said Ralph Ratto, a teacher and president of the local teachers union. “I’m not against tough standards. I’m against these standards. They have not been tested and have not been researched.”

Signs are raised during the Hoosiers Against Common Core rally at the Statehouse, Monday, April 21, 2014. (AP Photo/The Indianapolis Star, Kelly Wilkinson)

Ratto expressed his profound frustration with the New York state Common Core exams that he said were ridiculously confusing for his class of 10-year-old students.

“Historically, my students excel on standardized tests, often finishing near the top of our district and state. Today I witnessed – no I was part of!! – a situation in which students were forced to endure what amounted to what I would call an abusive situation,” Ratto wrote on his blog “Opine I Will,” which was later republished in the Washington Post. “Today I am ashamed. I am ashamed I didn’t do enough to stop this madness.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-be-a-teacher/

He told TheBlaze he will continue to work at preventing the exams from being given next year, but was unsure what he would do if ordered to administer the exam again.

New York is among the numerous states where the Common Core State Standards are hotly debated. Indiana dropped the standards altogether last month, while most of the 44 states that adopted the standards are at least debating the implementation.

The controversial standards are backed by the Obama administration and the national teacher unions – though are opposed by many local and state teacher unions.

“I was angry at my administrators for not stepping up to the plate and attempting to end this madness,” Ratto wrote. “I was angry at Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York Education Commissioner [John] King, the N.Y. Board of Regents, my state senator, my state assemblyman, President Obama, and even my state union. I was angry that my students were victims in the abusive game to drive a political agenda.”

He said if any state official supports the Common Core testing, he will work hard for their defeat in the next election.

“I am pledging to double my efforts to stop this form of institutional abuse,” Ratto wrote.

Cuomo is running from the issue, Ratto told TheBlaze. The governor has faced numerous teacher protests across the state, with 3,000 teachers showing up to protest his speeches, he said.

“Cuomo has not done much in evaluating Common Core,” he said. “He keeps saying, ‘it’s not me it’s the state Education Department.’”

The state legislature does not evaluate students on their performance on the tests, but does evaluate teachers, Ratto said. In New York — a state that, unlike others, doesn’t have an opt-out built into the law — 30,000 parents have taken extra measures to opt out of the exams, Ratto said.

After the blog post was widely circulated, he said he has not gotten pushback on the matter.

“Not at all,” he said. “It has been surprisingly quiet so far. I didn’t target any particular administrators. I wrote about the system.”

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...utional-abuse/
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 05.05.14 at 03:07 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

2+2=What? Parents Rail Against Common Core Math

An Iowa woman jokingly calls it "Satan's handiwork.'' A California mom says she's broken down in tears. A Pennsylvania parent says it "makes my blood boil.''

What could be so horrible? Grade-school math.

As schools around the U.S. implement national Common Core learning standards, parents trying to help their kids with math homework say that adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing has become as complicated as calculus.

They're stumped by unfamiliar terms like "rectangular array'' and "area model.'' They wrestle with division that requires the use of squares, slashes and dots. They rage over impenetrable word problems.

Stacey Jacobson-Francis, 41, of Berkeley, California, said her daughter's homework requires her to know four different ways to add.

"That is way too much to ask of a first grader,'' she said. "She can't remember them all, and I don't know them all, so we just do the best that we can.''

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...259363861.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:10 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I've seen bits of that Common Core bullshit enter my 4th graders math class. "Alternate" ways of adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. It boggles my mind why they would teach it that way. I couldn't even help him b/c the teacher wanted it done the common core way, which not only is a backwards-assed way of solving the problem, but a way that I hadn't a clue how to do.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I understand the frustration for the math standards because that would confuse the hell out of me too. I have no problems with Language Arts standards. Some are upset over the lack of emphasis on classic literature, but it still has its place. Common Core doesn't dictate how we teach standards, so there is a great deal of flexibility there.

There are individual strands for literature, informational text, and foundational skills. For example, let me pull this 7th grade standard: "Cite several pieces of textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text." It simply says what students should be able to do. I can use any means necessary to make sure they can do that, whether it's The Odyssey or Divergent.

As a Language Arts teacher, I have zero issues with my standards.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Just Listen to the Audience’s Reaction When Teacher Reveals Why He Helped Write Common Core

A teacher who claims he helped write the controversial Common Core State Standards informed a stunned audience at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics on Monday night that he decided to get involved because he is a “white male” who has been “given a lot of privilege that I didn’t earn.”

Dr. David Pook, identified as a professor at Granite State College and chair of the history department at the Derryfield School in Manchester, New Hampshire, had just been introduced at the event when he delved into his ties to Common Core.

“The reason why I helped write the standards and the reason why I am here today is that as a white male in society I am given a lot of privilege that I didn’t earn,” he said.

In new video flagged by Campus Reform, the audience can be heard gasping and laughing, seemingly surprised by the comment.

Pook went on to say all kids deserve an “equal opportunity to learn how to read” and the same advantages he had.

AchieveTheCore.com, a pro-Common Core website, states that Pook “worked closely with Susan Pimentel and the Council of Chief State Officers in drafting the Core Standards for English Language Arts, and currently has several projects underway with Student Achievement Partners on work aligned with the CCSS.”

As Campus Reform’s Caleb Bonham notes, the Derryfield School where Pook works does not use the Common Core State Standards and has a student body that is 91 percent white.