Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 16,580 Times in 9,404 Posts

Default Were any of my fellow So Cal residents ...

Affected by that earthquake on Friday night?

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Affected by that earthquake on Friday night?

Nope. It was the first I felt an a while. I'm about 80 miles north east of the epicenter and it was the biggest I have felt in over 10 years. I was sitting up high at a dining table with some others and we felt it pretty strongly for maybe 8-10 seconds. People in the same room sitting on folding chairs and picnic tables felt it for another 5-8 seconds.

I almost reacted, then remembered that houses are built to withstand this stuff, so I just rode it out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

Felt it but that's it. We are pretty far from La Habra.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Glad to hear you Californianites are okay.

Is that a real word? I don't know.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,240 Times in 1,357 Posts

A tornado is a horrible thing but at least we have warnings and tracking I dont think I could live in a place where the ground can be pulled from under your feet...even if it would mean never having to experience a-45 degree windchill again

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Glad to hear you Californianites are okay.

Is that a real word? I don't know.

Californians. Close enough.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    A tornado is a horrible thing but at least we have warnings and tracking I dont think I could live in a place where the ground can be pulled from under your feet...even if it would mean never having to experience a-45 degree windchill again
    Eh, it's not really that bad. The earthquakes that stand out most to me are the double whammy I felt back in 1992. I was 13 and those freaked me the fuck out. I still live in the same town. The first quake--in Landers, CA--occurred about 5am 35 miles east of me and lasted a few minutes. Back then, the big thing you were supposed to do if you couldn't get under a desk or a table was to stand in a doorway. I remember my bed violently shaking--I had a waterbed at the time--and seeing my parents in the doorway.

Three hours later, a second earthquake hit Big Bear, CA. Big Bear is 20 miles southeast of me, and that quake was a 6.5. I still remember sitting on the couch having only recently calmed down, seeing the outdoor screen in the breakfast nook shake and freaking out all over again.

The thing about a tornado is that your shit might end up miles away. In an earthquake you could have some damage, but if you had a bag of dogfood on the porch, it's still there--just under some stuff.

I'd rather have quakes than tornadoes. But earthquakes to lifelong Southern Californians like me are basically just something that happens. There is a great sendup of that in Steve Martin's L.A. Story.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,240 Times in 1,357 Posts

sorry, but being able to find my dogfood in the rubble of my home is not consoling

I vividly remember the Loma Prieta and especially the Northridge earthquake coverage...it was one of the things that inspired me to get involved with the Red Cross

people died, buildings collapsed, scary shit and you can't run to you basement for protection

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,189 Times in 8,988 Posts

I've only been through one earthquake that I could feel, and it was just weird.

I can remember my dog going bat shit crazy for about thirty seconds before it hit. I know some consider that to be bullshit urban legend about dogs and earthquakes, but I know that mine did.

And that was only a 4.5 magnitude here in Virginia, and all it did was knock some pictures off the wall and scare the shit out of me.

I thought they were dynamiting at the work site down the road, earthquake didn't even register as a possibility at the time.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

I felt a few on Vancouver Island when I lived there...now I'm in the land of tornados. I like to live dangerously, lol

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Default Were any of my fellow So Cal residents ...

Yes the Northridge quake was very scary. I still lived at home, we were close to the epicenter and in the hills where it's worse. I thought we were dead it was the most violent shaking, I can't even put into words. My parents basically got a new house from the insurance out of it. It was like a bomb went off and destroyed the Valley, some places were made into rubble. And that's here in a city designed for the most part to withstand quakes. We had to break down the door to get my grandma out of her condo. It was so strong it lifted the front wheel of my car and put it on the curb.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    sorry, but being able to find my dogfood in the rubble of my home is not consoling

I vividly remember the Loma Prieta and especially the Northridge earthquake coverage...it was one of the things that inspired me to get involved with the Red Cross

people died, buildings collapsed, scary shit and you can't run to you basement for protection
    But your home is probably not going to be rubble. If it's wood framed, dry walled, and stuccoed, it's not on a slope, it has a stable first floor, i.e., not parking structure under the first floor, your house will be standing after a quake. There are exceptions, of course, as some homes like what I describe were damaged in the Northridge quake, but some homes that should have collapsed, like those built in the early 20th century, are still standing.

We've learned a lot since the 1994 quake on keeping concrete structures safer, but pretty much you don't want to be on a freeway bridge or in a parking garage when an earthquake hits. Parking garages are built to withstand an earthquake, but that's pretty much it--one. A second heavy quake could do severe damage.

Basically I'm as far away from the Big Bear 6.5 quake as you would be in Glendale, CA from the Northridge 6.7. Obviously in a metropolis where you have huge structures and older structures you're going to have much more damage. But my childhood home--built in 1982--easily withstood a 7.3 30 miles away and a 6.5 20 miles away on the same day, as well as all the other quakes before and after. The damage? The driveway is cracked, and the fireplace--masoned--had to be recaulked.

My point about the dog food was that in a tornado, your property is just scattered for miles if your home is hit. Some pictures might fall off the wall onto the dog food, but it's still there.

I have some "earthquake kits," lots of food, and back up toilet paper. I'm right by the San Andreas fault, the one where they think the "big one" will hit. In college, the first lab in biology was to basically walk behind campus and stand on the fault. The biggest worry I have is that most shipments come to my area via Interstate 15 and the Cajon Pass, which ones right alongside the fault. If that area becomes undrivable, getting supplies here becomes quite difficult. That's the biggest worry I have regarding the "big one." I don't expect any building I am in to fall to the ground.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Your odds in a tornado are fairly good, if you don't live in a trailer park. They are tornado magnets...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Earthquakes scare the fucking fuckity out of me! This is my main fear being a Californian and I feel them before they even start. I was in a sushi bar when it hit and I saw the whole building move ( I was 15 miles from the epicenter). People are stupid here, they stay still looking at the ceiling laughing like it's funny, meanwhile Dick Punch is airborne and headed for the door. There is an episode of Seinfeld where the apartment George is in catches fire and he starts plowing women and children out of the way to get outside and I hate to admit it, but that is me when earthquakes hit.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Last Online

Premium Member

This is where the news media does a disservice in reporting on this stuff. They never give any perspective on risk when they report on earthquakes, etc.

Just as an example, 50-60 people die each year from being struck by lightning. By contrast, in the most extreme examples ('89 quake up in NorCal and in the '94 quake in Northridge) you see that amount of people die. For the most part, no one dies in earthquakes.

Your chances of dying from dying in a lightning strike are about twice as good as dying in an earthquake. The odds of dying in an earthquake are a bit better than dying in a dog attack, but not as good as dying by some sort of venomous bite or sting (think bees or snakes).