Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Default Live Without A Net solo TAB by Allen

OK...I have gotten a lot of requests for my TAB to Ed's solo from Live Without A Net since I posted this recording I made in 1997 of me playing the solo:

I used my old circa 1987 Kramer Striker that I customized a little. I straightened out the originally slanted bridge pickup cavity and I added a vintage 1984 Floyd Rose with the old style R2 nut as Ed used on his 5150 with the "humps" on the lock nut pieces. I also used a stock Seymour Duncan '59 pickup and my old 80s block logo MXR Distortion + into my vintage 1965 Fender Super Reverb. (I pictured my Marshall 2 x 12 combo in the montage, but that was a mistake...I only used my Super Reverb and not the Marshall in the clip). I've since gotten rid of this guitar and replaced it with my relatively recent and infinitely more accurate black Musikraft 5150 replica.

Anyway, I have usually e-mailed all the pages of my handwritten TAB to anyone that asked directly to personal e-mail addresses. 5150Rob asked me for it and for some reason I can't send the TAB to his e-mail address. I figured I would post links to the images of my TAB that I have scanned and uploaded to Imageshack.

Here are the scans of my handwritten TAB for the Live Without A Net solo that I made back in 1996...I've also attached my revised fingerings for the fast part of "Eruption" at the fifth position from the Van Halen album version which you can insert into the LWAN solo. I now play that part differently from how I had it transcribed in the LWAN solo portion where Eddie is playing that part. I will revise the TAB at some point to include the new "Eruption" fingerings on a seperate TAB sheet and also I have changed how I would transcribe the "horse" sound now...when he does the "horse" sound he really digs into an articficial harmonic on the G string while he bends the 2nd fret of the G-string (A note) with his left hand and then shakes the Floyd Rose tremolo arm to get the whining "horse" sound (I know most of you already know this!) In my original LWAN Tab I notated it as a natural harmonic on the G string, but that is incorrect.

Be sure to use your "Zoom" function on your picture viewer to get up close on my little handwritten notations for all the articulations in the solo. And, most importantly, listen very carefully to the recording and follow along with it as you look at my TAB. I don't read or write music, but I've done the best that I could to try to represent the fingerings as I see and hear them. I apologize for my bad handwriting...let me know if there is anything that you have trouble reading or understanding in my notation.

Cheers and happy practicing!
    Allen

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/8607/9gb6.jpg (PAGE 1)

http://imageshack.com/a/img534/571/6n07.jpg ("Eruption" pre-tapping segment at the fifth position from the record)

http://imageshack.com/a/img703/7283/1e3o.jpg (PAGE 2)

http://imageshack.com/a/img812/7038/udcr.jpg (PAGE 3)

http://imageshack.com/a/img28/5348/0v7z.jpg (PAGE 4)

http://imageshack.com/a/img28/4451/y125.jpg (PAGE 5)

http://imageshack.com/a/img46/5871/qjyy.jpg (PAGE 6)

http://imageshack.com/a/img571/6187/y2kj.jpg (PAGE 7)

http://imageshack.com/a/img35/2462/d0uq.jpg (PAGE 8)

http://imageshack.com/a/img24/9554/tpxd.jpg (PAGE 9- the last page)
    Last edited by garbeaj; 03.31.14 at 10:13 AM.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

No way! This is amazing! Now I don't have to keep watching the video and trying to figure it out by sight. Thanks!

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Well, I would say use all tools at your disposal! Watch AND listen to the video closely as you follow along in my TAB and practice hard

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:23 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

You were kind enough to send me these tabs through my personal email , via another VH site . Thanks again , Allan !!! There's a few things I've learned from you for sure . It's tricky to get all of the little quirks down pat , but you've been great at helping to point me (and others) in the right direction .

Cheers from Canada !
    Rob
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

You are very welcome Rob! I'm very happy to help in any way. I have been sending this transcription to people around the world for about 5 years and I did intend to post it, but I wanted to wait until I revised it, but I figured I could post the two major changes to my fingerings which are the "Eruption" parts and the "horse" sound. One day I will change the fingerings in my original TAB, but for now I think most people can follow along with where the revised parts would be inserted into the old TAB.

I really wanted to be sure that 5150Rob could see the transcription...I tried over and over again to e-mail him this TAB as he requested, but there was some sort of error that prevented me from sending him the TAB.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Incredible work. Wow.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

thanks so much bro. There are certainly some things on that solo that I've never been able to figure out over the years and I cant wait to sit down with this sometime.

much appreciated for your efforts dude,

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Incredible work. Wow.
    Thanks very much! It needs a little more work to include the changes I added, but not bad for doing the transcription almost 18 years ago

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    thanks so much bro. There are certainly some things on that solo that I've never been able to figure out over the years and I cant wait to sit down with this sometime.

much appreciated for your efforts dude,

Rob
    You are very welcome Rob...I'm happy to help! I remember busting my ass and my fingers for three months during a summer figuring this out, learning to play it and recording it all in one take on my little 70s cassette dictation machine. I was on unemployment that summer and playing guitar 12 plus hours a day and playing gigs with my singer most weekends. Good times!

Word of caution...the "Mean Street" segment literally made my fingers bleed. It took the vast majority of those three months to be able to play that part right and I had bleeding open holes in my fingertips. Ouch! Everything else was relatively easy because I had been playing all the individual pieces since I was around 13. But those left and right hand double stops going at the same time kicked my ass!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 04.01.14 at 08:57 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Nice work, well done -- absolutely the single most definitive written record of that particular solo.

Dear lord, back in the day, I taped that off the TV onto a cassette and learned (or tried to) the whole thing. I still know a lot of it -- that little neo-classical 12th fret tapping section on E and B, I've never forgotten that and play it pretty often!

The "Mean Street" extension is probably my favorite part of the whole thing.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    Nice work, well done -- absolutely the single most definitive written record of that particular solo.

Dear lord, back in the day, I taped that off the TV onto a cassette and learned (or tried to) the whole thing. I still know a lot of it -- that little neo-classical 12th fret tapping section on E and B, I've never forgotten that and play it pretty often!

KBD3
    That's absolutely right man...I remember that you learned that little pedal tone Bach type thing well before I did. I used to learn some little actual Bach licks back then that were pretty much the same as what Ed did there. Easy, but cool sounding and very impressive to people at that time.

I didn't start working on learning the whole piece until the summer of '97, though I know you and I pretty much knew all the recordings of the instrumental bits that make up the majority of the solo-well, at least we knew them to the best of our understanding back when we were kids!

Thanks for checking out my TAB...I appreciate the kind words. I do believe it is probably the best transcription of the piece that is out there...it may be the only TAB of the entire piece. I remember Vito Bratta had said that he figured out the Live Without A Net solo back in the late 80s, but he's the only person I know of that mentioned that he worked it out.

Ed played basically the same phrases in different combinations in his live solo since at least Diver Down...the solos were very different from the club days through the Women and Children First tour. Of course he added and subtracted some different things...the whammy abuse and feedback segment was a staple since the Pasadena Civic in '77, but that was eliminated by the 5150 tour. During the '82 tours and the U.S. Festival '83 show he did the bit where he did trills while he planted the headstock straight to the floor...then he didn't do that again. Of course he had the tray table "piano" riffs on the 1984 tour...then he quit doing that...but the two-handed double stop elements of that showed up in the "Mean Street" segment in the LWAN solo and later in "Judgement Day". Now he plays a very shortened version of the solo...still fun to see though and he's playing better than he has in years since his hand surgery.

I just wrote the TAB so I could remember all the parts...I then practiced it a bit so I could play it all at once. I do that a lot, because my memory is horrible...my "finger memory" is pretty good, but my actual memory is horrible! Just ask my wife

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough Hot f. Teacher AFU
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

NOW this is a good job!!!
    Frankly speaking I am not good enough to play the whole track, do not have whammy bar and I do not have too much time, but... I will try to play that tapped harmonic part after mean street jam and just before tapping lick - this is my all time favorite VH piece of music.

I would be awesome if some naive guy would upload it as a guitar pro file or txt file that is easier to read though.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seroiusly. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen (to young guitarists), 1985

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Eddie Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master

http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post

KBD3
    I've been trying to find the extended Meanstreet part for years! Which page do I download for that part?
    Thanks very much- great effort!!
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Found it!
    Thanks again-
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

No problem! Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with...I apologize for any messiness-I tried to make it as clear as I could, but my handwriting is still atrocious!