Thread: 'Ban Bossy'

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 'Ban Bossy'

wtf??

Celebs Join Sheryl Sandberg's Campaign to Stop Calling Girls 'Bossy'

For all of Lean In's strongly phrased criticisms of the modern corporate world, author Sheryl Sandberg still seems to spark the most debate with one seemingly innocuous opinion: We shouldn't call girls "bossy."

"When a girl tries to lead, she is often labeled bossy," Sandberg wrote. "Boys are seldom called bossy because a boy taking the role of a boss does not surprise or offend."

Since Lean In's publication a year ago this week, Sanberg continues to draw criticism for her belief that girls should be praised for leadership skills rather than being called bossy. As recently as last month, Inc. columnist and HR veteran Suzanne Lucas wrote about the passage: "Bossy is not leadership. In fact, bossy is the opposite of leadership."

But Sandberg is leaning in to her position, and she's bringing some friends. Beyonce, Jennifer Garner, Condoleezza Rice, Jane Lynch and other high-profile women have come together to support LeanIn.org's "Ban Bossy" campaign.

"I'm not Bossy," Beyonce announces. "I'm the boss."

The campaign also includes a spot by BBDO, showing young girls describing how they will lose their motivation to lead in middle school under social pressure to not be bossy.

Co-sponsored by the Girl Scouts, the digital campaign encourages women and men to post #BanBossy messages to social media, helping encourage girls to be opinionated without fear of pushback.

Critics will continue to say that bossy behavior should be discouraged and that it's important to foster a sense of civility in leadership. But actress Jennifer Garner notes that as long as we continue to use the word "bossy" as a criticism unfairly leveled against girls, we'll continue to breed silence, not leadership: "When a little girl is called bossy when she leads, it's telling her to be quiet. I don't want girls to be quiet. I want them to roar!"

Sheryl Sandberg says we should ban ‘bossy.’ I’ll pass.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/...2xH/story.html

As a woman and mother caught in the cross hairs of the Sheryl Sandberg generation, I am exhausted by manifestoes of pursuit. I’ve been told to Lean In (Facebook COO Sandberg), Marry Smart (Princeton mom Susan Patton), and now the latest: Ban Bossy (Sandberg yet again). It’s a lot of bossiness. I feel like I’m in a boot camp for perpetually striving women.

Ban Bossy, if you somehow haven’t heard, is the new initiative by Sandberg’s LeanIn.org and Girl Scouts of the USA to encourage girls to lead. They have enlisted an army of female icons like Beyonce, Victoria Beckham, and Condoleezza Rice to promote the campaign through a website, Twitter hashtags, videos, and educational downloads.

The spirit of the movement has great merit. Assertive women tend to be derided as bossy (read: obnoxious), while assertive men are hailed as ambitious and decisive. On the other hand, passive women don’t get ahead. This is unfair and, as women outnumber men in the workforce, unsustainable.

The problem is that an important message — ambition should be genderless — is tainted by a culture of exclusion, false equivalents, and hypersensitivity.

Ban Bossy overlooks boys and men almost completely. The site asks viewers to watch a video and see “what happens when we encourage our girls to raise their hands, sit at the table, and lean in.” Every directive is geared toward females. Why should boys remain asterisks in this agenda? For ideas like Ban Bossy to gain traction, we need buy-in from brothers, dads, and male colleagues.

Another goal of the campaign is to examine the ways girls are “discouraged” from leading, including by the use of language. Excluding men from the dialogue makes them the implicit culprit. As the mom of a boy and as someone who believes in gender equality, I’d like to see him addressed in the conversation. It’s also important to note that guys don’t have it easy, either: Plenty of outspoken boys are called aggressive, and some men who support their colleagues and wives are called worse.

Moreover, the movement conflates bossiness with leadership and leadership with happiness. A “bossy” person isn’t necessarily a fulfilled one, nor is a “bossy” person a good leader. I’m still awaiting the movement that applauds a happily ordinary woman who works a fulfilling but sometimes frustrating job, who has a sometimes uncooperative but generally supportive spouse, and who would rather watch True Detective than run a conference call. I am unconvinced that Beckham and Beyonce are models for this kind of life.

Instead, the goal should be to promote a middle ground using language that encompasses reality and role models who embrace it. Much as we’ve promoted women in fashion magazines who have “real” bodies, like Lena Dunham in Vogue, it would be helpful for this movement to reflect who we really are: Some women might actually be bossy. And that’s OK. And others might not have any desire to be bossy or to lead, and that’s fine, too. These women deserve a place at the table, even if they’d rather doodle in a notebook.

Most of all — and I might get heat here — it’s crucial to acknowledge, loudly, that the real world will be forever unfair. No matter how evolved we become, common sense dictates that the world is perpetually plagued by unsupportive back stabbers and condescending oafs. Movements like Ban Bossy run the risk of insulating girls and concocting false expectations that will never align with inevitable hurts. More realistic is teaching kids that name-calling doesn’t matter to begin with. Someday, we should be able to say, “You think I’m bossy? So what!” This catchphrase doesn’t have quite the same viral sting, of course.

Therein lies the issue: Catchy messaging can’t capture the complexity of gender dynamics. Proponents of the Ban Bossy initiative argue that, even if the message is imprecise, the real point is to raise consciousness. It’s true: Every worthy movement relies on some degree of extremism to gain notice, from suffragette protests in the early 1900s to bra burning in the 1960s. The fact that we are debating the issue is an inherently positive thing, boosters say.

“It’s all about consciousness-raising for girls and the culture more broadly,” says Harvard Business School professor Robin Ely, senior associate dean for culture and community. “Any time you can bring to consciousness these negative stereotypes that are holding any group back, it’s a good thing.”

Fair enough. The conversation has started. But ultimately what will be helpful for boys and girls is not to receive commands like “lean” or “ban.” Both are synonyms for the most fraught command of all: Change! As time goes on, both genders should be empowered to do something far more authentic: Be Yourself.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,070 Times in 8,927 Posts

Sweet Jesus. Our culture is becoming a fucking joke. This is important?

Fine, we will just go back to calling you bitchy.

Better?

Now go make me a sandwich.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Victoria Beckham is considered a strong female icon?

Was in a girl band that was only famous for 2 years and she married a rich soccer player which has kept her semi-relevant.

And Condo Rice?......

Hhhhhhhholy Fuck.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Condoleeza Rice has at least done something, but I am not sure why she is attaching her name to this crap.

If women are as strong and independent as they claim to be, this shouldn't even be a discussion.

We have it better off than the vast majority of the world, and yet all I hear from Americans is complaining.

I have a guy in my office that grew up in Pakistan...under a bridge...in a "house" made out of junk from a trash dump.

Guess what? He doesn't complain about a damn thing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Victoria Beckham is considered a strong female icon?Was in a girl band that was only famous for 2 years and she married a rich soccer player which has kept her semi-relevant.
    Of course, she married a rich good looking man and was smart enough to pop out a couple of kids to seal the deal.

Empowerment!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:03 AM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

I'm sick of beyonce and I'm sick of her thug husband.

she's not bossy she's the boss.....shut up already.

don't be a bitch, treat people like human beings and stop being an elitist and you should be fine. do those things and no one will call you bossy or call you a bitch but for right now I'll call her both.

they need to go away.

I'm sick of sites like yahoo constantly peppering me with everything they do (beyonce and jay z and the khardashians). stop shoving these people down our throats and making stuff like this relevant cause it's not.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Can we ban stupid first?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Dumb broads!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:40 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

from the female perspective (and particularly a female who was called bossy) I can tell you that as a child that label hurts

even my father called me bossy, my grandfather called me bossy...and even he did it in a way that told me he admired me for speaking up for myself, it still stung

my mother called me bossy in a way that conveyed to me that her goal was to shut me up and have me be a meek and mild and therefore admired for my meekness and mildness

so I was bossy when playing with my friends or at home and meek and mild (and not admired for it) at school

around middle school I began to realize that I was just not going to happy waiting for someone to tell me what to do, or pat me on the head and I decided to adopt my new attitude which is

SCREW YOU, I'M IN CHARGE HERE....................works much better for me

sooooo...point of this is, we can't control other people's feelings or actions only our own reaction to them

so we need to teach young girls that if someone calls you bossy, or a bitch or whatever

you need to HEAR IT, process it, understand it, and either accept it in a constructive way or REJECT IT

it's someone else's words, but our choice as far as how we let it affect us.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I would much rather ban the term "Van Hagar"

Fuck Beyonce that bossy bitch