Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 915 Times in 468 Posts

Default Painting Question

I think I'm going to buy a unfinished guitar body and paint it this summer. What kinds of paint am I looking for? I have absolutely no clue. Probably will be a Red/White/Black.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Duplicator works very well. Super red II

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Well you can use regular spray paint. Some good brands are Krylon and Duplicolor. I've also heard Rustoleum works well but I haven't tried that. If you're looking for paint thats specific to guitars, try Reranch (google it). Its more expensive, and you have to ship it to your house, but there's lots of colors and it's high quality paint and easy to use.

Whatever you do, DON'T mix brands of paint, as it can cause a chemical reaction and ruin the painting you've already done. Also, if you are clear coating the guitar, use the same brand clear as the paint you used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 915 Times in 468 Posts

Thanks for the help!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

I use Rustoleum just because it's doesn't suck and it's about $4 a can.

I'm not thinking the specific brand of spray paint is going to make or break any project. Plus, you can always sand it all back off if you're not happy with it.

Maybe get a small piece of pine or something and try out a few brands before you commit all the way.

But I have used nothing but Rustoleum on mine -- I'm perfectly happy with it.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

I've used Krylon and Rustoleum. Never had issues with either.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

You can go to paintscratch.com and have them mix you a batch in an aerosol can of any color from any production car. Mrs. Lee's BMW is the exact same color as a seafoam Wolfgang and I was thinking of having a can of that made up and sent to me for a future project.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Duplicolor works great for me. Never had a single problem with it... It sprays nice too.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Duplicolor works great for me. Never had a single problem with it... It sprays nice too.
    +1 on Duplicolor
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    +1 on Duplicolor
    +2 on Duplicolor It's great paint, mainly because it is still acrylic lacquer.
    Krylon is ok...but it IS a different formulation than it used to be. It used to be Acrylic lacquer, but it is now an oil based product, but as far as that goes, it's still much easier and safer (for the guitar) to use than a traditional enamel. Just make sure that with Krylon, that you absolutely STAY with Krylon only. Don't say for example, put down a white coat in Krylon, then put down a red you like in Duplicolor, or vice versa. Reason being is that acrylic lacquers have acetone, and other volatile substances that with chew up the oil base of Krylon. It'll wrinkle and flake. An industrial model shop who used to work upstairs from me used to use Krylon exclusively for their models, and when they were forced to change their consumer formulation, a bunch of their stuff got ruined from accidentally applying the new formula over the old not realizing the formula had changed that dramatically.

You can still get the original Krylon formula from some specialty retailers...it's called "Krylon Industrial", though it's got less color selection now overall.

Rustoleum...Dunno.. I tried it, and didn't like it at all. It always seemed a bit soft...Never really hardened enough, but who knows...Maybe had a bad batch. or it froze.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:42 AM
    Liked 256 Times in 140 Posts

I have to recommend Duplicolor. It's worked a LOT better for me than Krylon in terms of durability and the quality of the final finish. The Krylon I've used has literally rubbed off like fingerpaint on a couple of pieces and I've had far less problem with tape lifting the basecoat with Duplicolor.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    I have to recommend Duplicolor. It's worked a LOT better for me than Krylon in terms of durability and the quality of the final finish. The Krylon I've used has literally rubbed off like fingerpaint on a couple of pieces and I've had far less problem with tape lifting the basecoat with Duplicolor.
    I can't speak for the new formula Krylon for use on guitars, I've not used it since Sherwin Williams changed the formula, but I do know it has a similar ease of use to the old version, and it dries incredibly quick for an oil base. I wonder what would make it rub off like you mentioned. The old stuff behaved much like a typical lacquer...It went on super easy, fairly thin, took about 20 to 30 days to fully cure, but once it did, was very hard, but also like a typical lacquer, that hard thin finish was prone to chipping! It looked cool on some stuff that you would want on a relic like a VH guitar, and was so forgiving of little mistakes for less skilled painters.
    The Duplicolor is pretty much the same thing really in terms of ease of application, and the fact it's an acrylic lacquer, it goes on nice and thin, and sets up very fast, so in the right conditions, you can do multiple coats without fear of going too heavy as you would with say a Rustoleum enamel type product.
    The only thing that I find can be a little tricky with Duplicolor, especially if you're used to Krylon, is the nozzles can be a little finicky, and there seems to be a little more pressure in the spray, most likely because it's an automotive touch up paint, and needs the higher pressure for proper atomization to achieve a nice fan pattern and blend into existing areas of original color, but once you get used to it on a test piece, it's very nice to use.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:42 AM
    Liked 256 Times in 140 Posts

I dunno, I did a Kramer ad Frankie replica in Krylon about a year ago and I already have to redo it. Every time I played it, the red would wear off enough that it would leave a stain on my clothes and in less than a year, it was worn to wood where I anchor my picking hand. I didn't clear coat it, but I didn't clear my Frankie or Shark either and I have zero rub off with either of those...both done in Duplicolor.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    I dunno, I did a Kramer ad Frankie replica in Krylon about a year ago and I already have to redo it. Every time I played it, the red would wear off enough that it would leave a stain on my clothes and in less than a year, it was worn to wood where I anchor my picking hand. I didn't clear coat it, but I didn't clear my Frankie or Shark either and I have zero rub off with either of those...both done in Duplicolor.
    That's interesting.
    I have not really played with the new Krylon formula much, at least on guitars. The old stuff was great. I think Brett and a few other guys on here have used the new formulation without any issues to mention, but who knows. It could be more touchy than the old stuff as far as optimum curing conditions....possibly too many heavy coats too quickly for the conditions.
    Consumer paints of all types have changed a lot even in the past 5 yrs. due to tougher environmental and safety legislation to remove some of the volatile compounds, so acrylic lacquers such as Krylon, which are marketed as an all purpose craft paint had to switch to a "safer" formula to maintain it's consumer grade designation. The reality is that acrylic lacquer can be misused, and cause some pretty serious damage to your noodle, and I guess enough poor souls attempted to get cheap highs off it.
    Dupli-color is still readily available because it is marketed specifically as an automotive touch-up product, therefore somewhat of a specialty item....not general purpose. Also, their can size (at least in Canada) is significantly smaller, so it comes under some of the volume restrictions that full size cans fell under.
    In some areas, lacquer in both acrylic, and nitrocellulose form is banned from use outright.
    In our area it's restricted somewhat, but to get premium quality, you have to go to a company such as Mohawk Finishes, or other specialty dealers.

I say Dupli-color is the way to go nowadays for DIY rattle can painting. I've done a few guitars in it and have been more happy with it's appearance and durability over just about everything else off the shelf.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

No matter what -- I've learned the hard way to ALWAYS clean the spray nozzle with nail polish remover and a Q-tip after every single time you use it. I can't tell you how many 1/3 cans of spray paint I've had to chuck previously. Now, I get the whole can every single time.

So, kids, remember to keep your nozzle clean.

KBD3