○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Interstellar

November 2014

Christopher Nolan on new film Interstellar

CHRISTOPHER Nolan has revealed a few more tasty morsels about his upcoming blockbuster, Interstellar.

But movie fans are still a long way from getting a full meal out of the The Dark Knight and Inception filmmaker.

Speaking at exhibitors’ convention CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Wednesday, the notoriously cagey Nolan said his space epic, due for release on November 6 in Australia, was in the “first cut” phase of post-production.

Nolan, who began making short films as a child, joked that the “endless” ripping off of Star Wars that characterised the films he made as an eight year old has continued into Interstellar. More seriously, he revealed the film is “about interstellar travel” and built around the “science of wormholes”.

“Really, it’s about using a wormhole to travel to a place you couldn’t get to any other way,” he said, adding that it’s “something that really looks at where we are as people and where we might go”.

Harking back to his experience of seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in a London cinema as a seven year old — “I had no idea what the film meant” — Nolan said he wanted Interstellar to return to a time when the term ‘family film’ “didn’t have any pejorative connotations ... when films took me to places I could never have imagined”.

The movie’s star is Matthew McConaughey. While Nolan would reveal little of the character his leading man plays, he described it as “very much an everyman, someone audiences can experience the events of the movie with”.

McConaughey’s career reinvention and recent Oscar win has Nolan thinking he caught the actor at “an ideal moment”.

“I had always admired him as a movie star, but didn’t know how much potential he had,” Nolan said. Until, that is, the director was shown an early preview of McConaughey’s indie film Mud. That gave Nolan “the inside track to how good he could be”.

McConaughey’s Interstellar performance, he added, “is shaping up to be extraordinary”.

Nolan was also full of praise for his regular co-worker Michael Caine. The veteran, who played Alfred the butler in all three of Nolan’s hugely successful Batman films, also has a part in the new movie.

“He’s joked over the years that he’s my lucky charm,” said Nolan. “Once an actor gets that into your head, you have no choice but to hire him. So that was a very clever move on Michael’s behalf.

“His work in Interstellar, it’s really exciting to see him doing something he hasn’t done before.”

Nolan also talked about using real locations and constructing “spaceship interiors” for his actors to move around for the film, rather than using green screen, so he could then “shoot like a documentary — put the people in their real environments and shoot what they do”.

The director concluded his conversation with a little rev up for the cinema chains in attendance, telling them he hopes “to give audiences an incredible, immersive experience” and that the “technical aspects of how (Interstellar) is presented are more important than any film I’ve done before”.

Only a brief, mysterious teaser trailer for Interstellar has so far been released. The CinemaCon audience laughed at Nolan’s frequent use of phrases along the lines of “but that’s all I’m going to say about it”.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226866401200

Christopher Nolan on ‘Interstellar’ and Preserving the Theatrical Experience

LAS VEGAS — Make no mistake, director Christopher Nolan appreciates the evolution of television as much as the next guy, but for him, it’s celluloid or bust.

His November release, “Interstellar,” which counts wormhole scientist Kip Thorne as one of its producers and stars Matthew McConaughey and Michael Caine, is still mostly under wraps.

At a CinemaCon lunch in his honor, Nolan said he’s focusing largely on tone, calling McConaughey’s character an “everyman” and describing the film as “using interstellar travel to go to other places you couldn’t reach beyond normal space travel.”

A huge proponent of IMAX, Nolan says he shot more of “Interstellar” on IMAX cameras than ever before but that he used spatial interiors and “real environments,” in effect shooting the film and the actor’s responses to action “like a documentary.”

Although he’s all in favor of new technologies, he’s hesitant to adapt or use anything before it’s time tested – in a theater for certain and ideally in front of audiences.

New technology “has to cede what comes before that, and it hasn’t done that yet,” he said.

On the subject of 3D, Nolan praised Baz Luhrmann for “The Great Gatsby” but said that as far as the technology, “Just as stadium seating isn’t the best thing for a comedy, 3D isn’t the best for a shared audience.”

Well aware of his audience – a packed house of exhibitors – Nolan defended seeing films on the big screen and lobbied for more re-releases of films. He cited “Citizen Kane” and “The Odyssey” for their non-linear structure and advocated for shooting on 35 mm.

He ended speaking about the sound mix, promising theater owners and exhibitors a “unique approach” to sound mixing for “Interstellar,” looking to enhance and maximize current technologies, although he wouldn’t divulge how.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ch...ce-1201147933/

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Although I can't stomach McConaughey, I think I could put up with just about anything to get a new Nolan flick.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

I love intelligent sci-fi movies that don't try to confuse the audience and pass it off as high brow art, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I loved his directing with the Batman series.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

I'd lost interest in McConaughey long ago, but between True Detective and Dallas Buyers Club, I'd go see this Nolan or no Nolan. Haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street yet, but I hear he steals the bit of the movie he is in as well.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

He's great in True Detective.

He's a really good actor, it is just he seems to work in some crappy movies at time.

But, as Harrison Ford said, "hey man, I got bills to pay too!"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

He's really become a TOP NOTCH actor over the last 5 years or so. He's really branched out and gone beyond the roles of just the typical hunky guy.

His performance in True Detective cemented it for me. Just brilliant.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:48 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I love intelligent sci-fi movies that don't try to confuse the audience and pass it off as high brow art, so I'm really looking forward to this one. I loved his directing with the Batman series.
    There has been some backlash against Nolan since Inception. Most of which revolves around exposition.

http://whatculture.com/film/9-indisp...d-director.php

It seems that some people think Nolan tries his audience like idiots and his movies are not as intelligent as he thinks they are.

I happen to like all of Nolans movies, but none of them are 5 star classics to me.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 03.27.14 at 05:35 PM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    There has been some backlash against Nolan since Inception. Most of which revolves around exposition.

It seems that some people think Nolan tries his audience like idiots and his movies are not as intelligent as he thinks they are.

I happen to like all of Nolans movies, but none of them are 5 star classics to me.
    No, that's Wes Anderson ;-)

Nolan has a pretty impressive streak going on Rotten Tomatoes. His movies are well thought of, especially compared to most directors 10 films in. That list seems to be a bit nitpicky, but Nolan's films don't have to be for everyone.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    No, that's Wes Anderson ;-)

Nolan has a pretty impressive streak going on Rotten Tomatoes. His movies are well thought of, especially compared to most directors 10 films in. That list seems to be a bit nitpicky, but Nolan's films don't have to be for everyone.
    It seems like everyone was a fanboy until Inception. I do understand some of the complaints, but I like all of his films anyway.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Last Online

Premium Member

It seems like everyone was a fanboy until Inception. I do understand some of the complaints, but I like all of his films anyway.
    I'm with you. It's a minority complaining. Inception stands at 86% all critics on Rotten Tomatoes, 82% top critics, and 91% audience. Not bad. Insomnia is really the one that people like the least (76% audience), but 92% of critics (93% top critics) gave it a thumbs up.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Perhaps the more cringe-inducing scene in the entirety of Nolan’s filmography, however, is when Batman flips the Bat-Pod in The Dark Knight. Nolan saw his son playing with some toys in a similar fashion and thought it would look cool in the film. Oh, how wrong he was…
    I stopped reading the article after reading THAT shit.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.27.14 at 06:26 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I stopped reading the article after reading THAT shit.
    I think there are some points that were made. The action/fighting in Nolan's movies is not always that good... His films are very cold in some ways also. But flawed or not, it just comes down to if you like the movie or not. Some movies can be really flawed and I will still like them, but some movies might have one big flaw that will cause me not to enjoy it.

I really need to watch Inception again myself because I was also more lukewarm on it than I have been on any of his other movies.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I've liked all of Nolan's films (although I haven't seen Man of Steel yet--if you count that--which he co-wrote and produced). The DK Rises was a little bit of a misstep for me, however.

The points in that article made a little sense after reading them, but I hadn't really noticed them as flaws before.
    And why are they criticizing Nolan when we have totally incompetent directors out there, like Michael Bay for instance? Then again, that would be too easy.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I've liked all of Nolan's films (although I haven't seen Man of Steel yet--if you count that--which he co-wrote and produced). The DK Rises was a little bit of a misstep for me, however.

The points in that article made a little sense after reading them, but I hadn't really noticed them as flaws before.
    And why are they criticizing Nolan when we have totally incompetent directors out there, like Michael Bay for instance? Then again, that would be too easy.
    The first half of Man of Steel is pretty good, but it devolves from there.

It's because Nolan is loved critically and people like his movies, so his films are blockbusters. For some people, you just can't be both good and popular.

No one thinks Michael Bay films are "great" films, so it's okay that he makes blockbusters. No one thinks Tyler Perry is making "great" films, so he can make blockbusters. Conversely, critics love Wes Anderson, and he's "great" because his movies don't make money. (I think Anderson is the White Tyler Perry, but that's just me.)
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.28.14 at 10:18 AM.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It's because Nolan is loved critically and people like his movies, so his films are blockbusters. For some people, you just can't be both good and popular.

No one thinks Michael Bay films are "great" films, so it's okay that he makes blockbusters. No one thinks Tyler Perry is making "great" films, so he can make blockbusters. Conversely, critics love Wes Anderson, and he's "great" because his movies don't make money. (I think Anderson is the White Tyler Perry, but that's just me.)
    I wouldn't classify Tyler Perry films as "blockbusters." Sure, they're very profitable, I'm sure, but not blockbusters (I don't think any of his films hit the $100M mark domestically).

Wes Anderson is NOT the white Tyler Perry.

Tyler Perry is more like the black Mel Brooks. ...only not as funny....
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.