○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Disney Princesses and Adjectives

Disney Princesses and Adjectives
    Alex - The Afictionado

Kids’ movies are a formative influence. Anyone can tell you that. Everyone has that one movie they watched to death when they were young, practically memorising the entire script and score, absorbing the main characters into their personality and wearing down the video tapes until they caught fire. Among other things, this is why it’s so important to create good role models (for girls and boys alike) and powerful stories within these movies, especially if you’re a big influential studio like Disney, who lately has a weird habit of simultaneously capitalising on and denying the existence of their star female characters.

Mulan was my movie and Disney heroine of choice. Conventional princesses were all very well, but I never really connected with them, or superficially admired their tales that much. I looked up to Mulan, not only for being clever and strong and being able to handle a cool sword but because I watched it with my dad a lot, and I think on some level I sort of saw us in the story. Given his Chinese linguistics and history background and involvement in martial arts, I think he enjoyed it too, more than other Disney movies he was, as a gracious parent, inevitably forced to watch ad nauseum. And Mulan deeply admires and loves her father, then goes and protects him like a total boss, and young me really dug that. But, on a less personal level, I think I just enjoyed Mulan because dad-plot or not it was a gosh-darn girl power story, about her and how much ass she kicked.

I could go on forever about the infinite kickassery of this movie and Mulan herself and in doing so revert to my eight-year-old self, but I want to come back to the business of titles: immediately it’s evident, from looking at it, that this story is about Mulan. As well as driving it, it belongs to her, with her name emblazoned on everything and brought up in glowing full-screen glory in the opening credits. There was no question anywhere, this was a film about a kickass lady and Disney was not afraid to tell anyone that.

Looking at their more recent projects though, they seemed to have changed tact, which is a little annoying and on some levels problematic. I mean why would you call a movie all about Rapunzel Rapunzel when you could make a fun allusion to her long hair? Really though, looking at Tangled by title alone, would you be able to tell what the heck it was about? Granted, with no knowledge of fairy tales or legends seeing just a name wouldn’t tip you off either, but “Rapunzel” would at least clue you in that it was a story about a girl with that name. And if the whole movie’s named after her, she must be pretty awesome.

The trend continues into Pixar with Brave, which was originally titled The Bear and the Bow, and Disney’s latest offering Frozen which is apparently based on ‘The Snow Queen’ and thus was probably called that at some point in its development. Yet in some crucial meeting I have to imagine someone in a suit marched in and said “You know what’s great? Adjectives!”

Well, this is all very well, but it’s really quite annoying on multiple counts. For one thing, it kind of reeks of trying to be hip, modern and minimalist, though that could just be me. For another, it makes the movies irritatingly ambiguous. Okay, it’s named Tangled—what are we to assume it’s about? Frozen is if possible even worse, especially given how far it’s strayed from its source fairy tale. How were people even meant to guess it was an incarnation of The Snow Queen? To their credit, Rapunzel’s involvement was fairly obvious given she’s famous for having a helluva lot of hair, but ‘tangled’ is still a stretch and an odd choice. At least Brave is a compliment to its heroine. The other movies just sound like they’re about cold people with messy hair.

But most grating of all is that this trend seems like a movement to cover up the fact that these are, at their hearts, princess movies. The Princess and the Frog didn’t do too well in the box office, comparatively, and some speculate that it’s all in the title: Disney sliced their audience in half by blaring princess, because little boys supposedly don’t want to see princess movies. Movies about girls, maybe, but only if you trick them with ambiguous neutral titles and marketing them as slapstick adventures, which is exactly what they did with Tangled.

What’s even weirder is that this is specifically an English language thing—Frozen is released in France as La Reine des Neiges (The Snow Queen, like the original) and Tangled appears as Rapunzel or the equivalent in most of its worldwide releases, tweaked to Rapunzel: A Tangled Tale in some. Even Wreck-It Ralph was called Sugar Rush in its Japanese release and all the advertising material focussed equally if not moreso on the character of Vanellope. What gives? Why are American companies so afraid of admitting that they’re making girl power stories, or at least stories starring powerful girls?

It’s not like the male population is going to suffer a reaction to these movies like vampires in the sun. I mean, my dad who is a grown man with several black belts and equivalents was able to enjoy Mulan with his daughter. It’s about content and character rather than gender. If people shy away from feminine main characters and plots more about magic spells and true love than action adventures with tiny dragons, so be it; that is merely a matter of personal preference. And it should not sway an entire frightened marketing team away from advertising the involvement of actual girls in their movies.

Especially with Disney, for crying out loud, who is so famous and renowned by this point in history that people are going to go see their movies anyway because there’s an understanding that they’re going to be treated to quality children’s entertainment. It’s telling the girls watching and looking for fictional heroines that it’s not their story, not really, and people don’t really want to watch movies about and named after girls (especially not princesses), and it’s telling boys the same thing and perpetuating a cycle.

It strikes this weird balance between creating these awesome, influential characters like Rapunzel and Merida and then denying outright that the story’s about them, essentially shoving the heroines of their own movies to a metaphorical backdrop and going “No, no, we didn’t make any strong, story-driving female characters! Certainly not princesses! Those are silly! Please come in and watch this movie which is really about something else much more fun!”

Like, come on Disney people, are you clinging so hard to your money and some vague and misplaced concept of masculinity that you revolve entire marketing campaigns and naming conventions around hiding the fact you’re writing stories about the very theme that makes up near to half of your animated canon? I hate to say it, but man up.

http://theafictionado.wordpress.com/...nd-adjectives/

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Delete
    Last edited by Number 47; 03.27.14 at 06:00 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Very interesting and thought-provoking stuff, there...I think I shall save this article for future contemplation...Cheers, 47!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

In fact, I've just saved the entire "Afictionado" site to my favourites. Lots of really good reading matter on there. Thanks again!

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:45 AM
    Liked 2,226 Times in 1,123 Posts

Premium Member

Default #firstworldproblems

This lady is nuts.

She answered her own query in the article: little boys did't want to go see Rapunzel, so they named it Tangled and spent more focus on the male character than they had originally planned. Little boys won't want to go see The Snow Queen either, so they named it Frozen, and now it's one of the highest grossing movies in the history of cinema. They test market the crap out of this stuff, and it's all about the $$$.

Meanwhile, Disney is offering little girls plenty of opportunity to embrace their characters through hundreds of product lines, endorsements, and side stories. At the same time, millions of little boys and girls are seeing inspiring stories with strong female leads...so what exactly is her problem?

Disney had such trouble with Rapunzel they publicly vowed never to use a fairy tale princess story again. They found a way around it by changing up the movie and the marketing, and are now doing it again with Frozen. It seems everyone wins...except those looking to find something to complain about.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This lady is nuts.

She answered her own query in the article: little boys did't want to go see Rapunzel, so they named it Tangled and spent more focus on the male character than they had originally planned. Little boys won't want to go see The Snow Queen either, so they named it Frozen, and now it's one of the highest grossing movies in the history of cinema. They test market the crap out of this stuff, and it's all about the $$$.

Meanwhile, Disney is offering little girls plenty of opportunity to embrace their characters through hundreds of product lines, endorsements, and side stories. At the same time, millions of little boys and girls are seeing inspiring stories with strong female leads...so what exactly is her problem?

Disney had such trouble with Rapunzel they publicly vowed never to use a fairy tale princess story again. They found a way around it by changing up the movie and the marketing, and are now doing it again with Frozen. It seems everyone wins...except those looking to find something to complain about.
    Exactly. And the best princess film that has come from them recently is Princess and the Frog, yet it probably suffered because of the title. The animation and music are really beautiful in that film.

The funny thing is that the message in Frozen (unless you're one of those people who thinks the film is a metaphor that indoctrinates kids into thinking gays are cool) is probably better than in a film like Cinderella, who does nothing about her miserable life, dresses pretty and gets some magical help and therefore gets the guy. Money and being hot changes her life. I'll take Frozen, no matter what the title.

Anyway, the Honest Trailer for Frozen, if you've seen the film, is hilarious.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Perhaps I didn't read the article closely enough (I was at work when it popped up, so shouldn't have been reading it at all, in actual fact!) but what I took away from it differs slightly to you guys...I felt the writer wasn't so much pointing the finger at big film studios, but more at certain nations' antipathy towards films that make obvious the fact that their protagonist(s) is / are female, when there doesn't seem to be that same reluctance to name films after a male protagonist.

Now, I'm not sure that film studios can be entirely blamed for this - as you rightly point out, they do tons of market research before releasing their products - and the mighty dollar is, ultimately, their primary motivation, rather than supporting some sort of egalitarian agenda.

Basically, they do whatever their audience demands - and therein lies the angle from which I believe the article's writer was coming:
    * why IS there such a double-standard?
    * why are 21st Century audiences so accepting of male heroes, and less so of female ones, to the point where we shy away from watching a film which makes its female 'star' the obvious highlight, by titling the film eponymously?
    * is the media (of which film studios are one element) responsible for perpetuating this double-standard?
    * should film-studios play a more dynamic role in challenging these gender stereotypes, in all probability resulting (initially, at least) in financial losses to themselves, in the hope that by doing so, they may be a vital instrument in changing people's attitudes (particularly boys' views of girls)?

Anyway - I just felt that the writer raised some more deep-seated issues than the ones you guys describe (although that's not to say you're wrong, in the slightest). I just find this topic fascinating - one of my degree dissertations was about 'feminism and the fairy-tale genre' so discovering this site made my day, hehehee!

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

These are kids' movies, so you can't read into it like an adult. Little boys think girls have cooties, therefore you have to mask it a little bit to make sure everyone wants to go see it. It's like asking a kid to eat broccoli. Sometimes you have to put some cheese or something on it to get them to try it first.

I can barely think of male lead Disney movies that are specifically about a man (or boy).
    In fact, some of the movies with a "male" lead lately have either been animals or inanimate objects that can talk (toys, planes, cars, etc.). Why can't they just make a movie about a boy and call it that? Why does society hate boys so much?!!

Ohhh....probably for the same reasons.

Women...pffft...always have to think it's about them

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Perhaps I didn't read the article closely enough (I was at work when it popped up, so shouldn't have been reading it at all, in actual fact!) but what I took away from it differs slightly to you guys...I felt the writer wasn't so much pointing the finger at big film studios, but more at certain nations' antipathy towards films that make obvious the fact that their protagonist(s) is / are female, when there doesn't seem to be that same reluctance to name films after a male protagonist.

Now, I'm not sure that film studios can be entirely blamed for this - as you rightly point out, they do tons of market research before releasing their products - and the mighty dollar is, ultimately, their primary motivation, rather than supporting some sort of egalitarian agenda.

Basically, they do whatever their audience demands - and therein lies the angle from which I believe the article's writer was coming:
    * why IS there such a double-standard?
    * why are 21st Century audiences so accepting of male heroes, and less so of female ones, to the point where we shy away from watching a film which makes its female 'star' the obvious highlight, by titling the film eponymously?
    * is the media (of which film studios are one element) responsible for perpetuating this double-standard?
    * should film-studios play a more dynamic role in challenging these gender stereotypes, in all probability resulting (initially, at least) in financial losses to themselves, in the hope that by doing so, they may be a vital instrument in changing people's attitudes (particularly boys' views of girls)?

Anyway - I just felt that the writer raised some more deep-seated issues than the ones you guys describe (although that's not to say you're wrong, in the slightest). I just find this topic fascinating - one of my degree dissertations was about 'feminism and the fairy-tale genre' so discovering this site made my day, hehehee!
    Well, I think the easiest answer to your first bullet question is something that doesn't really feel good, but is true nonetheless. There is a double standard because, well, there are two sexes. True equality by any standard, whether regarding sex or some other "difference," is a myth and will never exist. It's unfortunate, perhaps, but true.

Anyway, I think the writer of this piece is stretching. Disney has recently released three Tinkerbell films that have her name in the title (Tinker Bell, as well as two Tinker Bell and the ______ films), Up is about a young guy and an old guy, yet it has one of those buzzy titles, Ratatouille is a play on words but doesn't name either main character, both males, and the author even mentions Princess and the Frog.

As an annual passholder at Disneyland, I go about twice a month, and the Princess and the Frog has as much a presence in the park as Brave, if not more so, as well as Tangled, and Frozen so I don't think there is a popularity difference in hindsight, at least as far as demand goes at the theme park.

And while it is true that Princess and the Frog was less successful at the box office, it could have been a number of different things, including the ad campaign, the fact that it was traditional animation in a CG animation world, or perhaps, sadly, a commentary on the race of the princess, which would put us in a completely different conversation.

As far as what the films are titled in foreign countries, that happens all the time. (The Hangover in France was titled, translated to English, Very Bad Trip), for example.) Sometimes the translation is just weird or the buzzy-style titles just don't work overseas.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.27.14 at 11:55 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

Women...pffft...always have to think it's about them
    Male white privilege, eh? It's a bummer, isn't it?

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Male white privilege, eh? It's a bummer, isn't it?
    Clearly not as devastating as white female privelage.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

I honestly don't understand here point here at all. So Disney makes one it's most popular films ever that is loved by both boys and girls (I know this first hand) where the hero is the female character and there's bitching about the title? Who cares?

In Frozen the hero is a girl (Anna, I know the story too well). And girls love that character (my daughters dance along to all of the songs and call their boots princess Anna boots). And the boys love Christof and Sven. And all kids love Olaf the snowman. By calling it Frozen and not the Snow Queen you're more likely to get boys into it. Makes sense to me.

They want movies to be as inclusive as possible so you get Frozen and not the Snow Queen, and you get Toy Story, and Cars, and Planes, etc. Make it as open ended as possible to get as many kids as possible if the movie is aimed at both boys and girls. If the movie is a girls movie (like one of their 19,000 princess movies) then you can have a girls title. But most of their major releases are aimed at everyone so you get titles that won't push girls or boys away.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I honestly don't understand here point here at all. So Disney makes one it's most popular films ever that is loved by both boys and girls (I know this first hand) where the hero is the female character and there's bitching about the title? Who cares?

In Frozen the hero is a girl (Anna, I know the story too well). And girls love that character (my daughters dance along to all of the songs and call their boots princess Anna boots). And the boys love Christof and Sven. And all kids love Olaf the snowman. By calling it Frozen and not the Snow Queen you're more likely to get boys into it. Makes sense to me.

They want movies to be as inclusive as possible so you get Frozen and not the Snow Queen, and you get Toy Story, and Cars, and Planes, etc. Make it as open ended as possible to get as many kids as possible if the movie is aimed at both boys and girls. If the movie is a girls movie (like one of their 19,000 princess movies) then you can have a girls title. But most of their major releases are aimed at everyone so you get titles that won't push girls or boys away.
    The closest I get to kids are my gf's sisters three kids, two girls (2.5 and 9) and a boy (5). They all watch the movie and sing along and they all fight about who gets to sing Let it Go. In other words, the boy and girls equally love Frozen, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog.

Frozn is not a great film--it's good--but kids love it and it turns a lot of princess fairy tale ideas on their heads.

And as I pointed out above, the premise the author presents isn't even really true. There have been recent female-driven Disney animated films named after the characters and there have been recent male-driven Disney animated films that got the buzz word title treatment. And most films are named something different overseas.

It's not quite as crazy as the Frozen-is-Hollywood-propaganda-for-gay-lib stuff, but I just don't think the case is presented very well.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The closest I get to kids are my gf's sisters three kids, two girls (2.5 and 9) and a boy (5). They all watch the movie and sing along and they all fight about who gets to sing Let it Go. In other words, the boy and girls equally love Frozen, Tangled, and Princess and the Frog.

Frozn is not a great film--it's good--but kids love it and it turns a lot of princess fairy tale ideas on their heads.

And as I pointed out above, the premise the author presents isn't even really true. There have been recent female-driven Disney animated films named after the characters and there have been recent male-driven Disney animated films that got the buzz word title treatment. And most films are named something different overseas.

It's not quite as crazy as the Frozen-is-Hollywood-propaganda-for-gay-lib stuff, but I just don't think the case is presented very well.
    Disney likely makes more films where the girls is the hero (i can't count the number of princess movies where that is the case).

Most of their movies are just a word now. It's not "Lighning McQueen - it's Cars" - It's not "Woody and Buzz - It's Toy Story". Articles like this are just so removed from reality that it's sad.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

"Kitchen".
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman