Register
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Wolfgang "Custom Standard" Prototypes

Who lives in the Phoenix area and has some cash to blow on an EVH Wolfgang prototype? Apparently, as I'd been hoping, Fender tested out an import version of the Wolfgang Custom and a few of them got out of the factory. One sold on eBay a few months back for less than $1500 (video/pics of it below), and this black one is on Craigslist for $1,200.

Anybody else seen these before?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I haven't seen them before , but they look amazing . I've had some really good luck with the import stuff I've owned from Eddie's gear line . Mind you , it was all Peavey Wolfgang EXP's , yet I'm sure his new stuff rocks just as hard . If not harder .

Those two photos are really sharp . I'm wondering how popular the stop tailpiece guitars from the EVH/Fender line are ? Do many people play them , either fans or recording /touring artists ?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

I recently bought a USA Wolfgang Stealth with the stop tailpiece. I have a Kramer with a Floyd, and I find it to be a pain sometimes. I really enjoy the Wolfgang, easily the best/nicest guitar I have played. It's a great guitar, and the stop tailpiece doesn't take anything away from its playability or sound in my opinion.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.12.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I own a white/ivory one. Pretty cool, but don't play it. Difference is no ebony board, but does have USA electronics. Fit/finish is pretty good, and the single ply binding is something I actually prefer.

Something I did not realize is the case to the "Custom" IS different than the standard Wolfgang guitars. Also, the current case offering is going to be changing shortly. Not sure what, but will be changing.

I own about 40 guitars and a few of them are PRS's. I think EVH branding is crazy if they are gonna get $1500-2000k for an import. I have a few PRS SE guitars, that are solid guitars UNDER the $1k mark.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.12.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I just read the C/L ad. The seller is mistaken as it does NOT have an Ebony board. Not a bad deal though for $1200.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.21.15 @ 06:27 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I spoke with Chip Ellis about these - basically, they did a test run of a cheaper version of the EVH Custom, that were made overseas... these are prototypes, and were never intended to be released - however, a few slipped out.. so they're going to be rare birds... same hardware/etc... as the other EVH guitars.. think of these as the "Special" versions of the EVH Custom

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.23.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Burst one is mine. I was shocked when an old eBay search I had setup actually showed a hit one night. The seller I purchased the guitar from I believe purchased the guitar from a Fender employee out of Phoenix. There was an old craigslist ad right before the eBay ad went up. I guess working for Fender doesn't cure all of the GAS one has when it comes to guitars.

The two biggest shocks for me for the guitar were the nut width and the weight. I've been playing nothing but 1 11/16" necks for the last few years so going back to a 1 5/8" nut just feels small. The weight of the guitar is MUCH lighter than I thought it would be. I was expecting a 9 pound monster but this guitar feels really light. I haven't weighed it yet officially but the guitar feels just a little bit lighter than my Peavey Wolfgang or my Charvels.

Sounds great, fit and finish are top notch and all the hardware is the same as the USA versions. Shame they couldn't get this model produced but then again who's really buying the USA Custom models? I don't see many being purchased so I couldn't imagine how many import versions they would sell for around $1500.