Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 11,758 Times in 6,515 Posts

Premium Member

Default Aborted babies incinerated to heat UK hospitals

The remains of more than 15,000 babies were incinerated as 'clinical waste' by hospitals in Britain with some used in 'waste to energy' plants

The bodies of thousands of aborted and miscarried babies were incinerated as clinical waste, with some even used to heat hospitals, an investigation has found. Ten NHS trusts have admitted burning foetal remains alongside other rubbish while two others used the bodies in ‘waste-to-energy’ plants which generate power for heat.

Last night the Department of Health issued an instant ban on the practice which health minister Dr Dan Poulter branded ‘totally unacceptable.’ At least 15,500 foetal remains were incinerated by 27 NHS trusts over the last two years alone, Channel 4’s Dispatches discovered.

The programme, which will air tonight, found that parents who lose children in early pregnancy were often treated without compassion and were not consulted about what they wanted to happen to the remains.One of the country’s leading hospitals, Addenbrooke’s in Cambridge, incinerated 797 babies below 13 weeks gestation at their own ‘waste to energy’ plant. The mothers were told the remains had been ‘cremated.’

Another ‘waste to energy’ facility at Ipswich Hospital, operated by a private contractor, incinerated 1,101 foetal remains between 2011 and 2013. They were brought in from another hospital before being burned, generating energy for the hospital site. Ipswich Hospital itself disposes of remains by cremation.

“This practice is totally unacceptable,” said Dr Poulter. “While the vast majority of hospitals are acting in the appropriate way, that must be the case for all hospitals and the Human Tissue Authority has now been asked to ensure that it acts on this issue without delay.”

Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS Medical Director, has written to all NHS trusts to tell them the practice must stop. The Chief Medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies, has also written to the Human Tissue Authority to ask them make sure that guidance is clear. And the Care Quality Commission said it would investigate the programme's findings.

Prof Sir Mike Richards, Chief Inspector of Hospitals, said: “I am disappointed trusts may not be informing or consulting women and their families. “This breaches our standard on respecting and involving people who use services and I’m keen for Dispatches to share their evidence with us. “We scrutinise information of concern and can inspect unannounced, if required.”

A total of one in seven pregnancies ends in a miscarriage, while NHS figures show there are around 4,000 stillbirths each year in the UK, or 11 each day.

Ipswich Hospital Trust said it was concerned to discover that foetal remains from another hospital had been incinerated on its site. A spokeswoman said: “The Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust does not incinerate foetal remains.”
    She added that the trust “takes great care over foetal remains”

A spokesman for the Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said that trained health professionals discuss the options with parents ‘both verbally and in writing.’

"The parents are given exactly the same choice on the disposal of foetal remains as for a stillborn child and their personal wishes are respected,” they added.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...hospitals.html
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.24.14 at 10:58 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member

Default From the comments section

Dalton • 4 hours ago

"Wow. THIS is where you draw the line? OK to abort the fetus, because it's a "choice" and the fetus is not a human being, but merely an unviable tissue mass. Yet, you incinerate the unviable tissue mass and THAT'S when the uproar comes? (Surely there would be no uproar over burning an amputated foot or a length of removed bowel.) What do you want - a proper religious service and cemetary burial for "medical waste"? You can't have it both ways."

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

As sad as it is, what else do you do with it?
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 18,139 Times in 8,963 Posts

I am against abortion from a moral point of view, but what the fuck else are you going to do with it? Dump it in the sewer?

So Brooklyn, I'm curious, absolutely not trying to be a dick...what would you do with it? And it's being done, so saying "I wouldn't have it done in the first place" is not an answer.

What is the difference between "cremated" and "burned for energy"?

How are they being disposed off in the hospitals that are in compliance? If the difference is whether the heat generated in the act of burning is used for heating the building, I mean, who cares?
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 03.24.14 at 11:45 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Politics sure can get ugly. Abortion is an issue. This isn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Not to speak for Brooklyn, but I am guessing he was making a different point that is more in line with the first reply. It isn't really "news" for people that fetuses/babies are aborted every day, but it's "news" and possibly offensive when they are disposed of in a way that doesn't feel good.

I found this quote from the Telegraph UK article on this:

“This practice is totally unacceptable,” said Dr Poulter.
    “While the vast majority of hospitals are acting in the appropriate way, that must be the case for all hospitals and the Human Tissue Authority has now been asked to ensure that it acts on this issue without delay.”
    In other words, killing babies is perfectly acceptable, but burning them for heat is not. Priorities...? I think that's the point being made.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Liked 4,803 Times in 2,451 Posts

Premium Member

I am pro choice but it makes me a little bit upset something like this happens. I don't know the answer of what to do with an aborted fetus but maybe somebody should go "are we adding attention to an already touchy subject?"

I understand its biological waste and something has to be done. I just don't think this is the best way of removing the remains.

Some common sense has to be applied. I wouldn't like it if hospitals buried fetuses in landfills so Pro-Lifers could plant crosses on top either.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

So we can't bury it, but we can't burn it either.

How is it disposed of then?

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 11,758 Times in 6,515 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Not to speak for Brooklyn, but I am guessing he was making a different point that is more in line with the first reply. It isn't really "news" for people that fetuses/babies are aborted every day, but it's "news" and possibly offensive when they are disposed of in a way that doesn't feel good.

I found this quote from the Telegraph UK article on this:

In other words, killing babies is perfectly acceptable, but burning them for heat is not. Priorities...? I think that's the point being made.
    I also find it repugnant that they would lie to grieving mothers and fathers about what they were going to do.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

What's wrong with burning them for heat? Sounds like a practical way to dispose of that kind of medical waste.....hospital stays warm and less in landfill.....
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Maybe all crematoriums should be connected to the electrical grid? If they want to use the burning of my carcass to give some sucker the necessary juice he needs to watch "Breaking Bad" on Netflix streaming in the future, so be it...

Also, a lot of the fetuses that were being burned were miscarried or stillborn - i.e., they weren't killed by choice. Maybe the parents did want the opportunity to bury them...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I just don't think it's the number one issue of the day.

Also there's no abortion debate in western europe, as far as i know. Except maybe Ireland, but UK, Germany, France, etc . It's pretty much a settled issue. I don't think there's a debate in Canada either. Mike?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I just don't think it's the number one issue of the day.

Also there's no abortion debate in western europe, as far as i know. Except maybe Ireland, but UK, Germany, France, etc . It's pretty much a settled issue. I don't think there's a debate in Canada either. Mike?
    It's not an issue any political party would ever touch up here. They are not only legal but fully funded. I don't imagine it changes in my lifetime.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Same in the US. It's legal, and the government pays for it, and it is one of those things that you just come to realize is not going to change, and you then just move on with your day.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

For those that are repulsed by this, they are correlating a fetus to human life. For those that aren't repulsed by this, they can make the same assumption with an unclaimed body of a senior citizen, right? After all, why not put the body to good use? Either way, both lines of thinking correlate a fetus as human life, which is something everyone should remember when the abortion debate comes up.

When one's personal convenience outweighs the life of another human being, our priorities have been lost.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.