Suspect arrested after carjacking leads to police chase

Video in link>>>

DENVER — A dramatic car chase across northern Colorado during the Wednesday morning commute started with a man stealing an SUV with a 4-year-old boy inside and ended after he carjacked two additional vehicles and struck a state trooper.

Ryan Cole Stone, 28, was arrested after he caused a multi-vehicle crash at an intersection in Lone Tree, Colo. He ran across a parking lot before appearing to give up, lying face-down in the snow as officers pinned him to the ground.

The 4-year-old boy, Allan Chavarria-Rodriguez, was inside the red Ford Edge when it was stolen from a gas station in Longmont, Colo.

His mother had gone into the store and Stone took the car with the boy in it.

Moving at high speeds, Stone crossed into many jurisdictions, covering about 75 miles.

About an hour after taking the SUV with the boy in it, Stone jumped out of it, then forced a driver and passenger out of a gold minivan. He then took off in the second stolen vehicle.

Allan was found safe in the SUV. The Associated Press reported that the boy told the Longmont Times-Call that the roughly hour-long ride was fast, and he cried but didn't speak to Stone as he drove.

Police then began chasing the stolen gold minivan. Stone jumped out of the minivan and forced a woman out of a silver sedan.

During the chase, Stone hit a state trooper with the silver sedan. The trooper was putting down stop sticks in a failed effort to capture Stone, authorities said. It's unclear whether Stone was trying to avoid the stop sticks when he hit the trooper, or if he deliberately ran over him. The trooper, Bellamann Hee, an eight-year veteran of the Colorado State Patrol, was hospitalized in serious condition.

The suspect then crashed the silver vehicle into Stacy Rader's car, fled on foot and was then caught by police.

"Oh, my God, I was crying. I didn't know if I was going to die or if I was hurt. I didn't know," Rader said. "I was just spinning."