Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudy Leiren

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default Rudy Leiren

Hi everybody

there isn't much info on Eddie's old guitar tech. Rudy Leiren. He must have some great stories of those early touring days. Especially how he kept the original frankenstein guitar up and running on those tours. Anybody any info and pictures maybe?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Zeke Clark too. Last I heard Zeke was in nashville.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

well, I guess there's no info at all on him

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

I'd love to have some more info on Rudy and Zeke . Ed was pretty connected with those cats for quite a while . His new right hand man , Matt Bruck , is a great tech as well .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Wasn't Rudy also responsible for planning their after concert, um, "activities"?

Rudy's Libation Station, correct?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:04 AM
    Liked 7,897 Times in 4,619 Posts

Premium Member

I marvel at why people, who were closest to Ed in terms of being there in the studio during the band's prime, or being the right-hand man are so private. Private in that there is really no in depth analysis by any of them, in describing what it was like to work with on of the biggest rock acts of all time. Templeman, Landee, Leiren etc...

These guys have what we're all craving for that we'll never get from Ed, and that is: minutiae.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Rudy used to post on one of the forums, can't recall which. But it was pretty obvious it was coming from a guy who could only know that stuff because he was there. Might have been here, can't remember. He's definitely shared some inside info. There was a thread on The Gear Page a while back about Ed's VHII recording rig and someone came out of the woodwork who was eitherDon Landee or his right hand guy and explained everything. Lots of jaws dropped on that one.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Hi everybody

there isn't much info on Eddie's old guitar tech. Rudy Leiren. He must have some great stories of those early touring days. Especially how he kept the original frankenstein guitar up and running on those tours. Anybody any info and pictures maybe?
    In the late '80's after or between DLR's tours he worked with Mick Mars for a while. He now works for Pyramid Backline Rentals. I loved the way he introduced the mighty Van Halen back in the day.

I'm guessing a lot of those guys who've worked for EVH throughout the years are reluctant to do too many interviews out of loyalty and have probably moved on in their lives. It would be great to hear their stories though, that's for sure. I'm hoping some of those guys have been contacted and interviewed for the two new books coming out next year.

Here is the most recent picture of him from his Facebook page, and an old Guitar World interview, plus a couple 1980 pictures from the European roadie Clive Davies.

( I trust it's o.k. to post FB links and pictures, as I have seen it done before. )

https://www.facebook.com/rudest1?id=549172684&_rdr

https://www.facebook.com/clive.davie...fid=9&_rdr#_=_

From DLR's official site's photo gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Wasn't Rudy also responsible for planning their after concert, um, "activities"?

Rudy's Libation Station, correct?
    From VHND, and DLR's official site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Rudy used to post on one of the forums, can't recall which. But it was pretty obvious it was coming from a guy who could only know that stuff because he was there. Might have been here, can't remember. He's definitely shared some inside info. There was a thread on The Gear Page a while back about Ed's VHII recording rig and someone came out of the woodwork who was eitherDon Landee or his right hand guy and explained everything. Lots of jaws dropped on that one.
    Dave Friedman made some comments about info he recieved straight from Rudy on the Gear Page. Not 100% sure, but think it was the Vintage Kramer site that he was strongly suspected of posting info on. A lot of the same people on Metroamp and Woodytone. One of those sites.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 03.15.14 at 04:49 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Man, what a way to make a living.

Eddie's guitar tech by day, Van Halen's extra-curricular planner by night.

The amount of fun that guy must of had. Not to say dealing with VH wouldn't be trying at times, but damn.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    In the late '80's after or between DLR's tours he worked with Mick Mars for a while. He now works for Pyramid Backline Rentals. I loved the way he introduced the mighty Van Halen back in the day.

I'm guessing a lot of those guys who've worked for EVH throughout the years are reluctant to do too many interviews out of loyalty and have probably moved on in their lives. It would be great to hear their stories though, that's for sure. I'm hoping some of those guys have been contacted and interviewed for the two new books coming out next year.

Here is the most recent picture of him from his Facebook page, and an old Guitar World interview, plus a couple 1980 pictures from the European roadie Clive Davies.

( I trust it's o.k. to post FB links and pictures, as I have seen it done before. )

https://www.facebook.com/rudest1?id=549172684&_rdr

https://www.facebook.com/clive.davie...fid=9&_rdr#_=_

From DLR's official site's photo gallery.

From VHND, and DLR's official site.

Dave Friedman made some comments about info he recieved straight from Rudy on the Gear Page. Not 100% sure, but think it was the Vintage Kramer site that he was strongly suspected of posting info on. A lot of the same people on Metroamp and Woodytone. One of those sites.

wow, thanks for the info man! Good to hear that Rudy is doing fine

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

I have to admit , I've never seen some of those shots . Very cool .
    The VH logo guitar is always a treat to witness . I think it looks killer .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Very cool. I just read recently that Zeke Clark is now teching for Kenny Chesney's guitar player.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

As far as I can tell, the guy that posted on MetroAmp and some other sites as Rudy, was not in fact Rudy at all, but rather some crazy guy that knew just enough to make him seem credible to some, but not enough to fool me and others.

I am of the opinion that Rudy had a falling out with Ed towards the end of their working relationship and I believe that he probably had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so that he could not reveal any information. He probably shared loads of info with Mick Mars, but I'm very suspiscious of anyone on a forum claiming to be Rudy. Just my opinion...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    As far as I can tell, the guy that posted on MetroAmp and some other sites as Rudy, was not in fact Rudy at all, but rather some crazy guy that knew just enough to make him seem credible to some, but not enough to fool me and others.

I am of the opinion that Rudy had a falling out with Ed towards the end of their working relationship and I believe that he probably had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so that he could not reveal any information. He probably shared loads of info with Mick Mars, but I'm very suspiscious of anyone on a forum claiming to be Rudy. Just my opinion...
    This
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Damn, Eddie had a freakin' guitar named after the guy! From what I understand, they had a falling out. I think we have to assume an NDA was a principal stipulation in his contract. Everyone would've done the same thing.

I love this guitar.

KBD3