Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Default Imagine having a daughter like this?

Entitlement nation, here we go(What a little beeotch)

..Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?
    Photo: Rachel Canning/FacebookA New Jersey teenager claiming that her mother and father tossed her out of their home and cut her off financially is suing them for immediate support, current private-school fees and future college tuition. The parents, meanwhile, say that daughter Rachel Canning, 18, moved out voluntarily after refusing to abide by their rules.

“We love our child and miss her. This is terrible. It’s killing me and my wife,” Rachel's father, Sean Canning, a town administrator and retired police officer, tells the Daily Record. “We have a child we want home. We’re not Draconian and now we’re getting hauled into court. She’s demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn’t want to live at home, and she’s saying, ‘I don’t want to live under your rules.’” The rules, he notes, include reconsidering her relationship with a boyfriend who may be a bad influence, being respectful, and abiding by her curfew. He and his wife, Elizabeth, who live in suburban Lincoln Park, about 25 miles outside of New York City, have kept their daughter’s car because they paid for it, says Canning, and he admits that they did stop paying Rachel's tuition at the private Morris Catholic High School. A hearing is scheduled to take place on Tuesday in the Morris County Superior Court.

For months, Rachel — an honor student, cheerleader, and lacrosse player — has been living with the family of her best friend and classmate, Jaime Inglesino, whose father, attorney John Inglesino, is bankrolling Rachel’s lawsuit. He’s also requesting in the lawsuit that the Cannings reimburse him for the legal fees, so far totaling $12,597, according to the paper.

Rachel’s attorney, Tanya Helfand, is not taking calls as she prepares for Tuesday's hearing, her office tells Yahoo Shine. Rachel did not return a call from Yahoo Shine, and the Morris County court was closed on Monday due to inclement weather. But the Daily Record reports that, in the suit, Rachel alleges that her parents decided to cut her off “from all support both financially and emotionally” as of her 18th birthday, which was November 1. Her suit also demands the following of the Cannings: that they take care of an outstanding $5,306 Morris Catholic tuition bill; pay their daughter’s current living and transportation expenses; and free up her existing college fund, as she’s already been accepted to several universities.

It’s not unheard of for youngsters to take legal action against their parents for various offenses — from a pregnant Texas teen who sued her parents for allegedly pressuring her to get an abortion, to a pair of Illinois siblings in their 20s who sued their mom (unsuccessfully) for bad mothering. Even so, the Canning case is an extremely unusual one, according to experts in family law. That’s because similar suits typically involve either a divorce situation, with parents disagreeing on a child’s financial support, or a fight for emancipation, in which a teen is declared financially independent from parents.

“This young woman is actually saying, ‘I want to compel the court to continue to support me financially. That’s what’s unique in this case,” Mary Coogan, assistant director of the nonprofit Advocates for Children of New Jersey, tells Yahoo Shine. “So this young lady is in a unique situation because it does become very fact-sensitive. There’s really no law directly on point.” What families in similar situations have done, in Coogan’s experience, is to file for what’s called a “family crisis petition,” in which the court will try to mediate an agreeable outcome between the parents and their child.

Talking the situation through would be a better route than a lawsuit, Kenneth Neumann, a New York divorce mediator and psychologist with the Center for Mediation & Training, tells Yahoo Shine. “We often use the legal system as a way to deal with disagreements when we should be using therapy or mediation,” he says, noting that Rachel’s case is “extremely rare,” and that he’s “not had a case like this in 30 years,” with the most unique angle being that the parents are not in disagreement. Unfortunately for Rachel, Neumann says, “I don’t think she has much of a case. This sounds like just another 18-year-old who got into a thing with her parents.”
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

The parents sound like they've acted in a similarly childish and truculent fashion, however. Chip off the old block, it seems to me...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

I could see the girl expecting her parents to continue to pay her high school tuition, but anything else is not to be expected IF she moved out of her own accord.

that said even if she lived at home until graduation and was a model student and child the parents have no obligation to pay for her college PERIOD

I hate to say this, but too many parents put themselves into terrible debt putting multiple children thru college just at a time when they should be ramping up their retirement planning.

this case sounds like a spoiled girl and parents who wanted more control than they should have (sorry you just don't get to choose your daughters boyfriend) and frankly a meddling "friend/lawyer" who should be ashamed of himself

I am interested to see how the lawyers kids turn out.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:39 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

Unless her college money came from a source other than her parents then I can't imagine she has a case.

I'm a believer in parents preparing to bank roll a child's education but that's assuming the kid is deserving of such consideration.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Unless her college money came from a source other than her parents then I can't imagine she has a case.

I'm a believer in parents preparing to bank roll a child's education but that's assuming the kid is deserving of such consideration.
    she wants her parents to pay her tuition, which I think, since she enrolled for the year, the parents are obligated to the school by contract, if not obligated to the daughter

and she wants current support from the parents, but the big thing in this case is that she wants her college fund freed up for her use since she has already been accepted to colleges.

but frankly, I think that the parents would have retained control of the fund anyway....if the girl dropped out or failed she would not have access...the bulk of the fund would have reverted to the parents

unless it was prepaid state college tuition in which case some states operate differently

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

I hope the judge laughs out loud at this entitled little bitch.

If you're adult enough to make all of your own decisions you are adult enough to support yourself. See how that works out for you.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Well, look. If you're 18 and not paying rent, parents usually trade free room and board and whatever else they supply for a cost. In this case, the cost was break up with your boyfriend, adhere to a curfew, and do some chores. If you don't want to adhere to those rules, then move out. But with moving out comes its own costs.

Now, this doesn't address the wisdom of the parents. Is breaking up with the boyfriend worth kicking your daughter out or having her run away? Well, I am not part of the family--neither or we--so we have no idea.

Maybe the guy is an atrocious influence, maybe the dad just doesn't like that he knows the dude is banging his daughter.

Either way, if at 18 you choose to move out, then there are consequences. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what they ask, even if you think it is unreasonable.

As far as the tuition goes, I suppose it depends what the contract they signed says. It's a private school, so you wonder how iron clad the contract is. There might be a loophole that gets the parents out of it. Maybe not.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:39 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

i do fear having to deal with a spoiled kid like this one day. I had it so much easier than my parents and my kids have to so much easier than me. There's a lot of positive that comes from this but there's also the danger of growing up without a work ethic.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i do fear having to deal with a spoiled kid like this one day. I had it so much easier than my parents and my kids have to so much easier than me. There's a lot of positive that comes from this but there's also the danger of growing up without a work ethic.
    And a little parental corporal punishment, in small doses, every now and then too.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    And a little parental corporal punishment, in small doses, every now and then too.
    Yeah, beat some sense into those kids. That'll get 'em in line!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I hope the judge laughs out loud at this entitled little bitch.

If you're adult enough to make all of your own decisions you are adult enough to support yourself. See how that works out for you.
    Judge didn't laugh...blasted her....long read but interesting. That girl is a spoiled brat, and the parents are trying to do the right thing

Oh and this is great..the school is supporting her position..they say she is an excellent student. However they have suspended her for an alcohol related incident, and for truancy. They have also stripped her of her cheerleading captain status AND she has been booted out of the campus ministry program. AFFLUENZA is incubating

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ran-away.html
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 03.04.14 at 06:27 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    Yeah, beat some sense into those kids. That'll get 'em in line!
    I didn't say "beat" some sense. I'm merely advocating for bringing back, spanking of children. A lot of parents won't even do that anymore out of some bullshit fear that it isn't effective. Kids then grow up to be spoiled brats as in the case of this girl. Its a tool but not the only one. Many kids have no fear anymore of consequences. A lot of parents have become soft in that respect

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

It's tough because she does seem like a spoiled brat, but if a parent does not want to support their children it would be best if they did not have them in the first place. But I have to side with the parents in the end.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 03.07.14 at 10:50 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

this is not a case of someone not wanting to support their child...they did ask her to come home, but only under their rules, which seem reasonable

they do have 2 younger daughters and for the benefit of those girls and their own sanity, they should not allow the older daughter to run the household

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:23 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    this is not a case of someone not wanting to support their child...they did ask her to come home, but only under their rules, which seem reasonable

they do have 2 younger daughters and for the benefit of those girls and their own sanity, they should not allow the older daughter to run the household
    It sounds like they may want to control every aspect of her life. But I also know that people her age make some terrible choices. Even though I have no children of my own, I have watched this type of thing play out. A bad choice of a mate is often a big sticking point Going by what I read in the article it does appear that is a problem in this case as well.

It's like the situation where my sister and I tried to talk my niece out of marrying and have kids with the first husband she married. In the end, a parent only has so much control once the daughter/son reaches 16.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 03.07.14 at 11:12 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw