Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Snowmobiler kills a moose

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,131 Times in 8,955 Posts

A moose believe it or not is a very dangerous animal, but in my humble opinion he was a little to quick on the trigger there. Could have just made a warning shot first to try and scare it.

If the moose had charged a second time, yeah, I would have lit it up, but easy for me to say sitting in my arm chair.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

That guy should have his ass beat severely, then thrown in jail for a senseless killing. I hope he gets caught eventually, for being stupid enough to post that on youtube. Yes, law enforcement agencies do monitor them nowadays.

When the moose first came at him is when he should have pulled the trigger, not afterwards because it pissed him off. Dumbass. He really should have fired a warning shot and that probably would have been enough to scare it away. It's people like him who give the other good snowmobiler's a bad rep. I showed this to a fellow rider this morning and he is livid.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

It looked as though he did fire a warning shot. His first one was aimed over the head of the moose and then it looked as though the moose was going to start charging again, so he fired a few more shots and killed it.

As much as I didn't like seeing this video, the moose is a dangerous animal and it already attacked him once.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    It looked as though he did fire a warning shot. His first one was aimed over the head of the moose and then it looked as though the moose was going to start charging again, so he fired a few more shots and killed it.

As much as I didn't like seeing this video, the moose is a dangerous animal and it already attacked him once.
    He did no such thing whatsoever.

You can clearly see his shadow and he has both hands on the steering of his sled. He only whooped and clapped his hands to alert the moose. Turn your sound way up and you won't hear a single gun shot until after the animal attacks and is leaving. He totally had complete disregard for the animal and handled that situation wrong.

I hope he gets what is coming to him.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,131 Times in 8,955 Posts

People forget that when we go into wild areas, that we are the intruder.

We are out of place, we don't belong there, and animals know it, especially on a snowmobile. He should have been cognizant of that.

That being said, dead sucks, and a moose is a dangerous animal. He should have shot a warning shot or two to try and scare it off, and if it attacked again, then put it down.

My only reason for not throwing the guy under the bus is that I wasn't there, it's easy to say I wouldn't have over reacted from my easy chair.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    He did no such thing whatsoever.

You can clearly see his shadow and he has both hands on the steering of his sled. He only whooped and clapped his hands to alert the moose. Turn your sound way up and you won't hear a single gun shot until after the animal attacks and is leaving. He totally had complete disregard for the animal and handled that situation wrong.

I hope he gets what is coming to him.
    I was just saying that his first shot definitely missed and it looked like he shot it over the animal's head. And then fired at the animal when it started coming in his direction again.

I'm not happy about the video either, but I believe an argument could be made that he fired a warning shot.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Looks like to me he didn't fire until it was turned & heading his way again (right as he chambers a round). Looks like that first shot didn't connect (or was indeed a warning shot) as the subsequent ones did stun/stop the animal. Either way, he didn't fire until the animal was headed his direction again.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

We are out of place, we don't belong there, and animals know it, especially on a snowmobile. He should have been cognizant of that.
    While certainly a good point, most experienced riders are aware of that fact and do their best to respect the surrounding area and it's wildlife. I know of no one fellow rider who would do what this jackass did in the same situation. As I have said, he totally handled it wrong. I guess it pisses me off (like my friends who also ride sleds) to see this kind of stupidity taking place and giving the rest of us a bad reputation. The majority of us would not condone this clown's actions. No way in hell. He even left the carcass. A major no no, even if he had the right to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I was just saying that his first shot definitely missed and it looked like he shot it over the animal's head. And then fired at the animal when it started coming in his direction again.

I'm not happy about the video either, but I believe an argument could be made that he fired a warning shot.
    There wasn't two shots. Go listen to this up LOUD.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

A moose believe it or not is a very dangerous animal, but in my humble opinion he was a little to quick on the trigger there. Could have just made a warning shot first to try and scare it.

If the moose had charged a second time, yeah, I would have lit it up, but easy for me to say sitting in my arm chair.
    You're right, and I agree: a warning shot (or two) would have been more appropriate. My nephew almost got killed by a bull when he was about 10 or 11 delivering papers when he lived at Ft Wainwright in Alaska. Scary stuff.

Like you said, DD, we are making this judgement from the safety of our chairs at home.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 10after12 View Post
    There wasn't two shots. Go listen to this up LOUD.
    I listened to it! Not sure what you're saying here.

I said that his first shot did NOT hit and, perhaps, could be referred to as a "warning shot." His 2nd shot was fired when the animal started in the snowmobiler's direction again. The other 4 shots apparently hit its target.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:49 PM
    Liked 6,832 Times in 3,574 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think the first shot hit the moose, but it sure as hell didn't startle it into running away either.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Some of you guys are nuckin futz. If that was me, that would have been a pretty good example of exactly how it would have gone down for me too. DEAD MOOSE. What do you think he should have done differently? Screamed at it louder?? .....wait until he had a hoof in his rib cage so he'd scream even louder?

It's apparent to me how out of touch we've become with the wild. That moose would have killed that man if he hadn't killed it first. He hollered at it to try and scare it off (good move, could have worked...didn't). It got territorial and rolled up on him (he should have had his gun ready and killed it here). He's lucky he didn't die. He continued to give it every chance but it was coming back for him. Um.....there's no question here. Empty the chamber until the animal dies, or else you die.

It's like a life or death pop quiz here....some of you fail badly.

*edit note- One thing he could have done better is put a round in the head when he went past to ensure it was out of it's misery, but with the adrenalin going, I'm not faulting him too much for that.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

This.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I believe a couple rounds in the air at roughly the :20 mark of this video would have scared it away. If my dad and I turned a bull - which is a male moose - away from us at 30-40 yards with two shots from my .12 gauge, I'm willing to bet this dude could have scared off this one.

Also, he shouldn't have kept inching closer to it. That's an act of aggression. If the warning shots didn't work, he should have hauled ass away from it if possible. Killing it would have been my final option.

I don't condemn this guy, but I think he could have made some smarter choices. Like Seen pointed out, adrenaline changes everything. I can truly attest to that.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz