Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Default De-Shimming an EBMM

I sent my EBMM Musicman Axis to a local guitar tech. (Heard he is good, does all the guitars for Mushroomhead).

He did some things that I'm not so sure about and did some things that I love.
    The guitar was beat and needed a lot of work. The neck was dried out, the frets were a little shitty feeling, it needed a new jack, new pot, new p/u switch.
    He did all and the guitar sounds great.... He also soaked the neck in oil for a week and polished the frets. I do have to say that the neck feels fantastic. HOWEVER.

He took the neck off and removed the shims and lowered the trem. The action is now feels too high for me. He said the neck should have been cut correctly in the first place so there wasn't a need for shims and that this is the only problem with these EBMMs. He said it would sound better without them.

I don't think I notice a difference and don't think its worth it for the action being so high. Not sure if it matters, but I play 10's instead of 9's.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    Last edited by F'nRockstar; 03.02.14 at 07:53 PM.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 11,605 Times in 4,948 Posts

Put the shims back.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

That's what I'm thinking..here are pics...does this action look too high? He said they used pieces of plastic that just crumbled when he took it apart.

How hard would it be to take the neck off and re-shim. I'm not much of a guitar tech....just play em. Also, he said he lowered the trem??? Do you notice anything wierd about it. Seems to work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo602.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	2438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo605.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	2439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo607.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	2440  
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

I think mine came with a pink plastic shim.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

OMG, how do you play that thing with such high action? That's horrible. I have an Axis Tribute and it's set up perfectly. I've never had to remove the neck, so I don't know if it has shims.

But I have been having fits with my week-old Frankenstein. I've shimmed it and just the B string is giving me a hard time. But otherwise the action is nice and low. You can use anything for a shim - collar stay, business card, pick, anything. I have two picks in the lower neck pocket of my Frankenstein and quarter duct-taped to the front of my Floyd brass block. You'd be amazed how much you can raise your action with such a thin shim in the bottom of your neck pocket. It's like a 4:1 ratio.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

That action is just terrible. What kind of luthier would do that? That's an abomination.

Taking the neck off to shim it isn't difficult but you have to not be afraid to do it. And there is some trial and error too.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've never encountered an EBMM Axis or EVH that didn't have the plastic shims. Yes, you'd think they would route the tolerances to be as precise as possible, but they don't.

I use maple or mahogany veneer now to make shims. Trace the heel of the neck, and cut it out. The shim should be about 1/4" to 1/3" wide.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Most people just use a business card or a medium pick (like EVH does). Just take the neck off and and put a pick in the neck pocket. That's what I have done to a lots of my guitars and it works fine.

I can't believe someone gave you the guitar back like that and thought you would be ok with it. That action is ridiculous... You could slide a slide in between the strings and fretboard...

If you cant work it out, take it to a different guitar guy. What you heard about this one was wrong...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As mentioned, all EBMM's afaik need the shim. Mine has one too. I have done other guitars by putting a business card in the pocket, tracing the shape with a pen then cutting it out. That action looks ridiculous...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Like Dutchie said, a business card or pick works fine and I've used both for years. Btw my 92 Pink EBMM has a factory shim. That luthier is dead wrong, never go there again.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

sorry man, you're tech is incorrect. The beauty of bolt on necks,especially with softer wood guitars like basswood, is the action can always be adjusted with a simple shim. Remember,over time the basswood in the neck pocket can compress with the amount of pressure being placed on it. ALL of my EBMM's have come with a factory shim. As far as them being cut more precise, we're not talking $3k plus andersons or suer's lol. Its a normal thing for a bolt on with a floyd to need a shim. Unless you're tech has some sort of robot ears you'd NEVER hear a difference in tone. Find yourself a new tech...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

This is how it should look. This is my new axis tribute I bought 2 weeks ago. I set it up myself as soon as it got home(factory setups drift during shipping and hanging on a guitar wall) because the action was a little higher than this. It had the factory shim but needed a little more to get it to where I like it.

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

EBMM have factory installed shims ? I didn't know that and I am a little bit shocked.
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

one other thing I should point out that no one else has mentioned yet. The worst thing you can do for a neck is "soak" it in oil for long periods of time,whether it be lemon,linseed,mineral etc etc. My guitars will typically get oil maybe once a year,playing it regularly will oil it enough with the natural oil from your hand. The reason I point out that you said he soaked it is simple. The fret wire relies on the wood being hard for the tangs to keep them seated properly. Oiling your neck slightly softens the wood. Typically only the surface of the wood is affected because when typically when you oil your neck, you wipe off the excess within minutes(for me I wipe on and wipe off with 30 seconds, we all have a ritual) If he continuously oiled that neck for a week, or kept reapplying and letting it soak in etc, you "could" potentially see issues with your frets.
    If the neck was dried up to the point of fret sprout(fret ends sticking out beyond the edge of the board) then he should have advised you of the "proper" way of fixing it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The thing is this; it's MUCH easier to route guitars' neck pockets a bit deep than to try to nail it absolutely perfect. This applies to both one-off customs and factory produced guitars. If you go for "no-shim-perfect," it requires a ridiculous amount of fine trial and error that must be performed on a PER INSTRUMENT basis, because even CNC necks will vary slightly, or bend, or the frets will be a slightly different height, etc (this is wood we're talking about), which is enough to make the resulting action very inconsistent.

If you route a tiny bit too deep on the pocket, you can always add a shim during setup. If it's too shallow, you can't do anything to fix the action, period, and you'll likely have the strings slammed down onto the frets permanently = unlplayable.

I know someone will probably bring up "well how come Peavey and EVH got it right on the Wolfgang?!?" and that's a very good point! The Wolfgang design gets away with the no-shim thing by spec'ing the bodies and necks EXTREMELY accurately, but the main thing is that they allow for some height adjustment via the bridge pivot points. That's part of the reason why the routes for the floyd and the floyd posts are different and recessed on a Wolfgang vs an EBMM.

Essentially, EBMM chose to "fix" the bridge height and adjust from the neck shim, the Wolfgangs chose to "fix" the pocked and adjust from the bridge. Both ways work fine, and as long as you don't have a crappy, incorrectly done shim, I'd challenge someone to identify a guitar that has a shim vs. not having one based on tone/resonance/etc. (that is supposedly effected by shims)...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.03.14 at 10:50 PM.