Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

Default Researchers 'Very Surprised' In Anti Semitic Hate Mail Study

Researchers Were ‘Very Surprised’ to Discover Few Right-Wingers Sent Anti-Semitic Hate Mail, but Here’s Who Did

World
    The author of a German study that examined thousands of anti-Semitic hate messages told an Israeli newspaper that she was “very surprised” to discover that only 3 percent came from those described as members of the political “far-right.”

Monika Schwarz-Friesel, a linguistics professor at the Technical University of Berlin, and her team read 14,000 letters and emails addressed to the Israeli embassy in Berlin and to Germany’s Central Council of Jews, Haaretz reported.

The results were summarized in her book, “The Language of Hostility Towards Jews in the 21st Century,” which was published in German and is due out in English next year.

“I wanted to find out how modern anti-Semites think, feel and communicate,” Schwarz-Friesel told Haaretz.

The study concluded that a majority of the messages – 60 percent – were sent by educated Germans, including university professors and priests.

That finding shattered the research team’s initial assumptions.

“At first, we thought that most of the letters would be sent by right-wing extremists,” Schwarz-Friesel said. “But I was very surprised to discover that they were actually sent by people from the social mainstream – professors, Ph.D.s, lawyers, priests, university and high-school students.”

Efraim Zuroff, Israel office director of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, a Jewish human rights group, told TheBlaze “there’s no question that there is an undercurrent [of anti-Semitism] in respectable German society and it’s very often people who would be shocked to be called anti-Semites.”

“This animus against the Jews exists, and this study clearly shows it,” said Zuroff, whom Time magazine described as “the world’s most prominent Nazi hunter.”

“The problem is not the extreme right and neo-Nazis because they are so marginal in German society … the problem is in respectable German society that normally doesn’t accept overt anti-Semitism,” Zuroff said.

Asked about the researchers’ “surprised” reaction to their findings, Zuroff said: “It’s very simple. They think that they share common values with liberal, humanistic, ostensibly sane Germans but part of problem is that some of those people have deeply embedded anti-Semitism that sometimes manifests itself in [hate] letters.”

The letters examined were sent between 2002 and 2012. The study was conducted jointly with American historian Jehuda Reinharz.

“We found that there is hardly any difference in the semantics of highly educated anti-Semites and vulgar extremists and neo-Nazis,” Schwarz-Friezel told the American Jewish news site the Forward in December. “The difference lies only in style and formal rhetoric, but the concepts are the same.”

In addition to the 14,000 letters sent in Germany, 2,000 additional messages received by Israeli embassies around Europe were also reviewed.

The researchers found that many of the letters equated the actions of the Israel Defense Forces to the Nazi genocide of the Jews.

Notably, many of the letter-writers were not ashamed of their language and often included their names, addresses and professions, which helped the research team validate their political affiliation, according to the Forward.

The study reported that 80 percent of the letters were anti-Israel, often masking anti-Semitic feelings.

“Today, it’s already impossible to distinguish between anti-Semitism and anti-Israelism. Modern anti-Semites have turned ‘the Jewish problem’ into ‘the Israeli problem.’ They have redirected the ‘final solution’ from the Jews to the State of Israel, which they see as the embodiment of evil,”Schwarz-Friesel told Haaretz.

The researchers counted as anti-Semitic only those messages that described German Jews as not being truly German and blamed German Jews for Israel’s actions.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...emium-1.576189

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...heres-who-did/
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 02.27.14 at 06:18 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

....the Jewish problem....the Israeli problem......if the people of the world would just leave them alone, there wouldn't be any fucking problem......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

How does this surprise anyone who's spent more than 12 seconds at a university?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

This really isn't any revelation, as anti-Semitism has always been propagated most insidiously by the "intelligentsia".

Whenever I hear someone from the KKK or Islamic radicals spouting off, at Israel, I chuckle to myself because it must be hard work to be so stupid. They have no political influence at the end of the day but it's the so-called "respectable" people in our society that we must worry about. I really don't understand what Jews have done to anybody over the centuries and in particular, Europe that elicits such hate. I say to anybody who harbors these type of feelings inside: quit whining about shit that happened thousands of years ago, stop looking for reasons to criticize (Palestinian issue) and worry about how God is going to judge you when it comes to your outlook on Jews. Anybody who claims to be a person of faith yet promotes anti-Semitism, either directly or indirectly, will have to answer. Also, get over the fact that as a group, Jews have been probably THE most successful in terms of making a difference in this life re the arts, sciences, philosophy etc. A lot of this has to do with plain ol' jealously.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Genesis 12:3
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

A huge problem is that many who support Palestinians are automatically labelled as being anti-semetic. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

People who support Palestine are mostly ignorant you're right, oh and Anti-Semitic. People didn't really care what the Nazis did either until Pearl Harbor. Of course many believe the Jews deserved to die then and they do now.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    A huge problem is that many who support Palestinians are automatically labelled as being anti-semetic. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
    the loudest supporters of the Palestians typically are anti-semitic however. It's one thing to support all the poor people of the world but when one hand picks the only group that is "suffering" due to the only Jewish state in the world it's kind of a red flag. You see this in Toronto for instance when the Anti-Israeli Apartheid group marches in parades.

As for the right/left hatred of Jewish groups, there's plenty of that on both sides. I've studied Italian history pretty extensively and can tell you about the way the right treated the Jewish minority that helped the Fascists kill off the communist movement. And I've seen much anti-Jewish sentiment in the left wing of Canadian politcal movements. Personally I've chalked most of it up to jealousy.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ben Shapiro Crashes UCLA Hearing, Anti-Israel Divestment Fails

Speaking of universities, this took place just this week.

Tuesday night, the UCLA Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC) considered a resolution calling for the university to divest from businesses that supposedly “profit from the Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank.”
    Braving hundreds of anti-Israel speakers and protesters, Breitbart Senior Editor-at-Large Ben Shapiro, a UCLA alumnus, took the microphone and delivered a fiery lecture to the student council and the protesters, exposing the true motive of the so-called Boycott, Divest, Sanctions (BDS) movement: Jew-hatred.

Here is the transcript of his two-minute remarks:

My name is Ben Shapiro. I'm an alumnus of this university I'm also a local talk show host on 870 [AM] in the morning, and I got out of bed and left my one-month-old baby there when I saw what was going on here tonight. I've never been more ashamed to be a Bruin. I've never been more ashamed to be an alumnus of this university than to see this divestment petition being considered at this level.

To pretend this is about occupation, to pretend this is about peace, to pretend that this anything other than vile, spiteful Jew hatred is a lie!

There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Saudi Arabia. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Iran. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Palestine. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing the vast bevy of human rights violations that happen every day in the Middle East, exponentially worse that what happens in Israel.

Any gay or lesbian that is targeting Israel in this room seems to have forgotten how high they hang gays from cranes in Iran. Every person of liberal bent who suggests that Israel is the problem in the Middle East seems to have forgotten that there is only one country in the Middle East that actually has any sort of religious diversity in it. The countries that are apartheid countries are those that are Judenrein[free of Jews] – like, for example, Palestine.

So, for us to sit here and pretend that Israel is somehow on a lower moral plane is a direct manifestation of anti-Semitism. And to hold Jews to a different moral standard than any other country or group on the face of the earth represents nothing but an age-old and historic hatred for the Jewish people. All the folks here who are pretending that the B.D.S is about anything other than that – I would like to see a poll of those folks, and see how many of them actually believe in the existence of a Jewish state, qua-Jewish state, not as a state like any other, but as a Jewish state. They don't. They don't acknowledge that existence. They don't believe in that existence. They don't believe in peace. All this is about, pure and simple, is a desire to target the Jewish people.

Shapiro’s remarks earned a standing ovation from pro-Israel students and forced the student council leaders to tell anti-Israel protesters to allow dissenters to speak freely. After hours of debate, the student government finally voted on the resolution at 6:30 a.m. By a vote of 7-5, the resolution was rejected. All student government members voted anonymously and told the UCLADaily Bruin that they did so out of concern for their safety. The BDS movement’s defeat led at least some anti-Israel students to the verge of apoplexy.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

And yes people who don't like Israel usually don't like Jews either. It's just a lot safer for an anti-semite to say they dislike Israel than to overtly say they hate Jews. But it's just masking the truth.

The only time I encountered blatant anti-semitism in my life was at USC when a so-called Hispanic friend freshman year found out I was Jewish and told people I was a dirty Jew. Ironically he was huge Pink Floyd fan. I rarely deal with it because my name isn't Jewish and my wife isn't, so most people just don't even know.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

I am always perplexed by anti Semitism. Especially at the university level. To be an anti-Semite you have to actively reject all of the contributions that Jewish people have made to the world in science...medicine...literature...economics I think the majority of people who could be classified as prejudiced against Jews know little to nothing about Israel or Palestine....they base their hatred on an interaction they have had with one or two individuals or second hand knowledge

It's so foolish to think that these contributions were random or accidental or anything other that the result of a culture that values education, and dedication to serving humanity

it's crazy...the medical contributions alone are world changing!
    how many lives were saved, how many epidemics halted, is staggering

and the contributions to our cultural lives in literature, music, philosophy...

If you use Google to research the contributions of Jewish?....well you've just used a contribution of someone of Jewish heritage

I prefer to reserve my hatred for the intentionally lazy, stupid and predatory individuals of all races creeds and colors

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Speaking of universities, this took place just this week.

Tuesday night, the UCLA Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC) considered a resolution calling for the university to divest from businesses that supposedly “profit from the Israeli occupation of Gaza and the West Bank.”
    Braving hundreds of anti-Israel speakers and protesters, Breitbart Senior Editor-at-Large Ben Shapiro, a UCLA alumnus, took the microphone and delivered a fiery lecture to the student council and the protesters, exposing the true motive of the so-called Boycott, Divest, Sanctions (BDS) movement: Jew-hatred.

Here is the transcript of his two-minute remarks:

My name is Ben Shapiro. I'm an alumnus of this university I'm also a local talk show host on 870 [AM] in the morning, and I got out of bed and left my one-month-old baby there when I saw what was going on here tonight. I've never been more ashamed to be a Bruin. I've never been more ashamed to be an alumnus of this university than to see this divestment petition being considered at this level.

To pretend this is about occupation, to pretend this is about peace, to pretend that this anything other than vile, spiteful Jew hatred is a lie!

There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Saudi Arabia. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Iran. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing Palestine. There is only one reason we are discussing Israel and not discussing the vast bevy of human rights violations that happen every day in the Middle East, exponentially worse that what happens in Israel.

Any gay or lesbian that is targeting Israel in this room seems to have forgotten how high they hang gays from cranes in Iran. Every person of liberal bent who suggests that Israel is the problem in the Middle East seems to have forgotten that there is only one country in the Middle East that actually has any sort of religious diversity in it. The countries that are apartheid countries are those that are Judenrein[free of Jews] – like, for example, Palestine.

So, for us to sit here and pretend that Israel is somehow on a lower moral plane is a direct manifestation of anti-Semitism. And to hold Jews to a different moral standard than any other country or group on the face of the earth represents nothing but an age-old and historic hatred for the Jewish people. All the folks here who are pretending that the B.D.S is about anything other than that – I would like to see a poll of those folks, and see how many of them actually believe in the existence of a Jewish state, qua-Jewish state, not as a state like any other, but as a Jewish state. They don't. They don't acknowledge that existence. They don't believe in that existence. They don't believe in peace. All this is about, pure and simple, is a desire to target the Jewish people.

Shapiro’s remarks earned a standing ovation from pro-Israel students and forced the student council leaders to tell anti-Israel protesters to allow dissenters to speak freely. After hours of debate, the student government finally voted on the resolution at 6:30 a.m. By a vote of 7-5, the resolution was rejected. All student government members voted anonymously and told the UCLADaily Bruin that they did so out of concern for their safety. The BDS movement’s defeat led at least some anti-Israel students to the verge of apoplexy.

Fuck UCLA! (but that's because Im a USC fan)
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,190 Times in 8,988 Posts

The researchers shouldn't be surprised.

All they need to do is go into the Arizona thread, they can find all kinds of disguised racism in there.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

On Fire Rare Painful Side Effect's Avatar
    Last Online

07.08.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've lost count of how many peace process "initiatives" have occurred in my lifetime, all over a godforsaken 100 mile wide strip of rocks, sand and the occasional shrub that you couldn't give away if it was situated in, say, the middle of Arkansas. I'm tired of hearing about the place, which seems to have even less relevance with the demise off the cold war.

People care about it because, somehow or another, three major religions managed to determine the most holy spots in their respective religions are at the EXACT SAME SPOT. Since I'm not religious, I don't particularly give a fuck about which one gets to run the other ones out. I just wish the United States, which has no strategic interests in the area, that I can perceive anyway, would stop dicking around there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Painful Side Effect View Post
    I just wish the United States, which has no strategic interests in the area, that I can perceive anyway, would stop dicking around there.
    The only democracy in that part of the world, staunch ally, and a country that ACTUALLY likes us, who has to spend a shitload of the country's resources on defense, because of assholes surrounding them on all sides, will always be of interest to the US. We'll be "dicking around there" for a loooong time.