Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 2,116 Times in 1,256 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama announces 'My Brother's Keeper'

Obama Will Announce Initiative to Empower Young Black Men
    By MICHAEL D. SHEARFEB. 27, 2014

WASHINGTON — For much of Barack Obama’s presidency, he has sought to avoid being defined by his race or gender, often emphasizing that he is the leader of all Americans. On Thursday, Mr. Obama will use the power of his office to focus on helping young black men succeed.

Stymied by Congress on many of the economic policies he considers central to the lives of blacks, Mr. Obama is seeking to prod nonprofit foundations, business groups and civic leaders to provide more opportunities for a struggling part of the American family.

His new “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative is aimed at finding ways in which business and civic leaders can intervene at just the right moment to keep young black men and other men of color on a successful course.

In a show of support, leaders from more than a dozen nonprofit groups will join the president in the East Room on Thursday afternoon as the initiative is announced. Among them will be representatives of the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Atlantic Philanthropies, Bloomberg Philanthropies, the California Endowment, the Ford Foundation and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.

Together, White House officials said, the foundations are pledging $200 million over the next five years in a search for solutions to the most intractable economic and social problems that confront young black men. The issues include early-childhood development, educational opportunities, school readiness and discipline, parenting, and the criminal justice system.

The president’s initiative is not seeking a large new pot of government money, and officials are unapologetic about the desire to tap the private sector for help.

“We need to partner with communities and police to reduce violence and make our classrooms and streets safer,” White House officials said. “And we need to help these young men stay in school and find a good job — so they have the opportunity to reach their full potential, contribute to their communities and build decent lives for themselves and their families.”

I don't know how successful this can be, but this is incredibly important, and it is something I can actually get behind with the President.

Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.21.16 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 280 Times in 155 Posts

I think this is a fantastic program. I am really hoping that some folks are gonna pour some serious funds into this program.

We recently had a lady come to speak to us as part of our Black History Month festivities/recognition. She was instrumental in formulating this program with the CINC. She didn't say that in her speech, but afterward I asked her what she thought about it and if she had any part in it. She told us quite a bit about it.

One of the things she said about this is that there needs to be a sea change in these communities. Not only is a program like this valuable, but folks in these communities need to support these people...surround them with hope and positivity.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 875 Times in 512 Posts

Probably one of the more worthwile proposals this administration has attempted to implement. When 72% of black children are raised by a single mother it is time to do something about it as a society not just as an adminstration.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch