Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Default Peavey 6506 1x12 combo?

Anyone here have one of these....I want a old 5150 but a 2x12 combo is more than I need....just wanted to check with you guys and see if anyone here had one and to see how difficult it is to get a lot of brown sound era tones out of this amp.
    I asked this question over at the peavey forum and got no answers....I also have combed the net for brown sound settings for the 6505 1x12 combo and have had no luck!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 6505+112 combo---my wife uses it as a night stand lol.
    It's a kick ass little amp. It does not clean up very well though. If you tweak the clean channel clean then the boost sucks---so I always tweaked it to keep the boost function sounding as best as possible.
    As far as the Brown sound--it can get close--not close like a Metro amp or something tailor-made for the brown sound. But, if you are looking for cheap amp to rock out on--it's pretty good. You gotta understand--I haven't played through mine in a few years--so I am going by memory.
    It came stock with Ruby tubes all the way around and they rocked out really well for awhile---then I started rolling tubes and ended up with a British Mullard in V1 and a Raytheon Black plate in V2 and Ruby tubes the rest of the way around the pre-amp. After changing V1@V2 and putting JJs in the power section, it really brought out it's underlying Brown sound. I was satisfied with the tone and would play different cuts from the DLR era and had no real complaints. Understand, this amp is no Cadillac but it rocks and will keep up with a drummer and bass player in the room.
    Overall, I was happy with the amp and my only real complaint was how dirty the clean channel was.
    I bought the amp on a whim and played around with it for awhile but my addiction to tone changing lead me to the EVH 100w and the EVH 50w.
    Sometimes I use the 6505+ in stereo with the EVH 50w and it keeps right up with the 50w.
    In someways it just depends on how addicted to tone chasing you are--the 6505+ definitely has limitations. But if you wanna just rock then it'll do the job at an affordable price.

There are many factors to the Brown sound. What guitar, which pick-ups, Vaccum Tubes, tone in the hands ect--The 6505+112 will get you close but not quite as warm as the 1984 album and more drive than VH1.

JJs power tubes you can get anywhere. I got the British Mullard and the Raytheon Black plate from Marty over at the Marshall forum. He is a moderator over there and a legitimate tube dealer and will not sell you junk. He recommended the Mullard and the Raytheon to me and was spot on in what I was looking for.
    Last edited by evhintexas; 02.25.14 at 06:35 AM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

If you like the Peavey 5150 heads, you'll like the 6505+ 1x12 combo. It's got all the tone and gain, but in a smaller package. Price is right too. I was on the fence between one and the 5150 III combo. Then I got sidetracked by the Marshall DSL 100. I know have the 5150 III combo and was just thinking yesterday I might get the 6505+ 1x12 for my living room.

My PV 5150 and matching 4x12 with the right guitar can fool most people and gets close. Here's what I do. VH I, II and any VH, I'll use my Axis if I really want to get as close as I can. Usually just use a PV Wolfgang. WACF is my ash Strat with the Frankenstein pickup. Also FW and 1984. That guitar screams WACF to me.

Now, I was about to go for the Marshall DSL. I think it's a tad closer to classic VH. But my old 5150 kept me happy for a very long time. 6505+ might not sound like the Friedman BE-100, but it has Eddy in there. Cranked 6505+ rhythm channel is more Marshall like than most admit.

I just read a Peavey interview. Guy said Ed sent his Marshall, his Soldano SLO-100, and some other amps he liked. He wanted a cross between his Marshall and Soldano. Lead channel certainly is like a Soldano. Rhythm you gotta play loud to hear it sound good.

6505+ is so cheap you gotta try it.

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks guys!

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Could I use the settings for a 5150 2x12 combo....I know a old wolfgang/5150 site has all kinds of evh era tone settings for the 5150 2x12 combo?
    I am going for the balance and 1984 era tone mostly!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's basically the 5150 with more drive--I rolled the volume off on a charvel strat and used a mxr stereo chorus with a DD7 to play Feeling from the Balance album--it wasn't really close to Eddie's tone but it still sounded good.
    The 6505+112 is a beast and you gotta learn how to control it. I changed out tubes to tame it down and warm it up but still scream on the pinch harmonic side.The amp sitting on the floor sounds a little warmer verses having the amp sit up on a cab---you just gotta tweak it and work with it to get some serious tone out of it--I mean that amp can scream if you want it to.

Go to Guitar Center and check em out and if you are into rolling tubes the effect the tone--it's a damn easy amp to do it to---plus you don't got bias adjust the power tubes--just get a matching pair and put em in.

Settings wise I don't remember how I set it up and I haven't played mine in a while. I may have marked the settings on it I don't remember---but I did copy a lot of settings from thw EVH wolf registry--I also seem to remember having everything at 12 o'clock and going from there--it's all very sibjective to how you hear it.
    Last edited by evhintexas; 02.25.14 at 05:59 PM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”