Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default True Detective

I didn't see a thread for this. If there is one, mods, please shut this down.

What a show!

There's a lot going on. The last two episodes have been incredible. The flash forwards and flashbacks are an interesting way to tell a story...and the artsy side of me gets it goes with Rust's point about time being a flat circle.

I don't want to do any spoiling...but there's a lot of cool blogs about it not being what is expected. It's only eight episodes, then comes back with different characters and a different story.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Fabulous show. If the quality lasts through the final three episodes of the season it could be the best show on TV. I'm already wondering how they'll follow it up next season and who will star in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Truly, we live in an era in which t.v. has surpassed cinema in art and storytelling. This show clicks on all cylinders, and Matthew Mcwhat'shisname is stellar. Never knew he had it in him.

TK

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:00 AM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

I may be wrong, but I believe this is a mini series. It is a great show.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

Premium Member

Yes and no. From what I understand It's set up like American Horror Story. Each season is a new story and cast.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle16859250/

Things ended in the third episode with the serial killer possibly in sight. One Reggie Ledoux, prowling a territory that looked post-apocalyptic but is actually the America left behind after the economy and tradition collapsed. What happened last week in episode four not only shifted the momentum of the story, it also pointed toward the meaning of it all. True Detective is an homage to Heart of Darkness, one set in the American South of today. In a way, Hart is Marlow and Cohle is Kurtz.

Episode four included a direct nod to Heart of Darkness. Concocting a dangerous plan to get close to Ledoux, Cohle reverted to his old self, the undercover cop living among bikers and dangerous drug dealers. He strayed into a rave, a scene as barbarian as anything in Joseph Conrad’s novella. Eventually Cohle set out on a journey with the bikers, down river on a boat. Even if you have never read Heart of Darkness, but have seen Apocalypse Now, Francis Ford Coppola’s modern film treatment of it, you saw the strong visual tip of the hat to it.

The ensuing, astonishing sequence – a raid on a drug house that goes terribly wrong – elevated True Detective from a brooding, slow-moving exploration of character to an epic action drama. Filmed with fabulous sweeping attention to chaos, it was breathtaking. But it was more than that. It was an entry into the literal heart of darkness at the core of the world in which True Detective exists. Bikers posing as cops raid a drug house. Mayhem ensues and a neighbourhood is revealed as populated by brutes. What we have is mass dehumanization, as Marlow found when he travelled into the heart of Africa to find Kurtz. What we have, at last, is an explanation for Cohle’s mental disintegration. What we have is an America as feral as what emerges at the end of the river journey in Conrad’s story.

I’m not saying the homage explains everything. I’m saying True Detective is as dark as anguish, and we are required to look on its world with utter horror – this place of savages, depraved, overtaken by perversion. Feel free to disagree and discuss.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    It's only eight episodes, then comes back with different characters and a different story.
    I'm glad I checked this thread out. My wife has been dvr'ing the episodes (I think they are ondemand too)

If it's only 8 then I'll just wait and watch them all at once. I really enjoy a show a lot more when I can do that, the story stays fresh in your mind rather than dragging it out week after week. That's what I HATE about Walking Dead, that ridiculous mid season break. That's the only show I watch real time (too many people I know watch and have no regard for spoiling lol dicks )

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Yea, and I'm not meaning to spoil this show...

There's some screwed up shit going on...but I'll tell you what...if they leave a lot in the open and don't tie up some loose ends, I'm going to spill it in this thread so nobody wastes their time.

But as of right now, it's a quality show, good acting, good writing...good story, etc.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    Yea, and I'm not meaning to spoil this show...

There's some screwed up shit going on...but I'll tell you what...if they leave a lot in the open and don't tie up some loose ends, I'm going to spill it in this thread so nobody wastes their time.

But as of right now, it's a quality show, good acting, good writing...good story, etc.
    Oh I wasn't saying you were, and even if you did put story specific "spoiler" stuff here it wouldn't mean anything to me since I don't watch and don't know what's going on yet. I was just looking to see comments on the show and what people thought of it.

Since it's only 8 episodes, I might squeeze that in before I start on Breaking Bad.

Last Online

Premium Member

I am going to write some semi spoilerish stuff, so you've been forewarned.

What I find fascinating about this show is that it's set up gives us two old-fashioned unreliable narrators. There is a scene early on in the series in a 1995 flashback where Cohle says something along the lines of having a bad taste in his mouth--aluminum and ash.

Of course, his 2012 self is telling the story, along with 2012 Hart. And his 2012 self is drinking beer out of aluminum cans and smoking cigarettes.

So you have to wonder--how much of the story is true and how much of it is being made up?

That adds such a cool layer, IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I am going to write some semi spoilerish stuff, so you've been forewarned.

What I find fascinating about this show is that it's set up gives us two old-fashioned unreliable narrators. There is a scene early on in the series in a 1995 flashback where Cohle says something along the lines of having a bad taste in his mouth--aluminum and ash.

Of course, his 2012 self is telling the story, along with 2012 Hart. And his 2012 self is drinking beer out of aluminum cans and smoking cigarettes.

So you have to wonder--how much of the story is true and how much of it is being made up?

That adds such a cool layer, IMO.
    Agreed. And as it has gone along, the two of them have contradicted what really went on, or at least what you are seeing in the flashbacks on several occasions both with small and big details.

After such a big left turn in the last episode, and from some of the stuff that I'm reading, I'm beginning to think that this is something very different than the road we were led down in the beginning of the series. That alone is awesome! I don't know if it's supernatural like some are saying in different blogs, but I just feel like the reveal is going to be huge.

Oh, and Greenpaw - all good...I didn't say you were saying I said that. I was just saying for others that they might not want to read the thread, because we are sort of spoiling it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Truly, we live in an era in which t.v. has surpassed cinema in art and storytelling. This show clicks on all cylinders, and Matthew Mcwhat'shisname is stellar. Never knew he had it in him.

TK
    He was good in Dazed and Confused, A Time to Kill and Frailty back in the day. but then all of those rom com's. That's a way to get a lot of heat from people. Especially men.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    He was good in Dazed and Confused, A Time to Kill and Frailty back in the day. but then all of those rom com's. That's a way to get a lot of heat from people. Especially men.
    Agreed, but this show is on another planet. In the 2012 storyline, you forget you're looking at him. True, the make up to make him look terrible is great, but he's that good.

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

awesome show. just caught up on the last two episodes.

Is this 8 or 9 episodes this season?
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Last Online

Premium Member