Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 11,730 Times in 6,499 Posts

Premium Member

Default Ted Cruz’s Latest Stand Is Going to Infuriate Republicans (and Democrats)

After the GOP-led House of Representatives on Tuesday voted to increase the nation’s debt ceiling with no strings attached, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) vowed to seek out a 60-vote threshold when the Senate votes on the measure.

When the debt ceiling bill, passed in the House with the help of 28 Republicans, reaches the Senate on Wednesday, Cruz plans to object to the simple majority vote, the Texas senator’s office confirmed. This could very well mean a Cruz filibuster.

Here’s where his plan will certainly anger some of his Republican colleagues.

The 60-vote threshold will force some Republicans to either side with Democrats to increase the debt ceiling, or go back to the drawing board and push for meaningful spending cuts.

Hours before the House vote on Tuesday, House Speaker John Boehner admitted defeat on the debt ceiling. He voted in favor of the no-strings-attached increase.

“We’ll let his party give him the debt ceiling increase that he wants,” he said.

In a statement, Cruz argued Washington is “not listening to the American people.”

“Under President Obama, our national debt has increased from $10 trillion to $17 trillion, and now the President is asking for yet another blank check to keep increasing our debt without doing anything to reform Washington’s spending problem,” he said. “This is wrong, and it’s irresponsible. Our parents didn’t do this to us, and we shouldn’t do it to our kids and grandkids.”

He went on to say the debt ceiling has historically been the “most effective leverage” for cutting spending. In fact, he explained, “28 times, Congress has attached meaningful conditions to debt ceiling increases.”

“We should do so again to address the real problem,” Cruz added. “I intend to object to any effort to raise the debt ceiling on a 50-vote threshold. I will insist instead on a 60-vote threshold, and if Republicans stand together we can demand meaningful spending restraint to help pull our nation back from the fiscal and economic cliff.”

This undoubtedly sets up yet another Cruz-led showdown in the Senate —and he’s made it crystal clear he’s not in Washington to make friends.

Cruz appeared on TheBlaze TV’s “Real News” on Tuesday to discuss other topics, including
    energy independence and on the “lawless” actions taken by the Obama administration relating to Obamacare.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...e-republicans/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I like Ted Cruz, I hope he runs for President, and I think he's one of the precious few left in the Republican Party who are willing to stand on the essential Constitutional and fiscal principles that will save this country from the intentionally divisive and destructive direction the extremist leadership of the Democratic Party has established in recent years.

Cruz-Gowdy 2016. Because Ron Paul and Ross Perot are too damned old.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I hope he runs too.

Mr. Shutdown will be obliterated.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I hope he runs too.

Mr. Shutdown will be obliterated.
    Fair enough. As long as he stands in stark contrast to his opponent, rather than being a mere degree or two different, I'm happy to let the people decide.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:09 AM
    Liked 2,212 Times in 1,116 Posts

Premium Member

Ted Cruz is doing exactly what his constituents want him to do. That's why they elected him.

While others are concerned with national party politics, sacrificing their principles in order to save the party's face, he is concerned about fulfilling the promises he made to the voters. The last time he filibustered he received a standing ovation upon returning home.
    Last edited by bsbll4; 02.12.14 at 11:15 AM.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:09 AM
    Liked 2,212 Times in 1,116 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Fair enough. As long as he stands in stark contrast to his opponent, rather than being a mere degree or two different, I'm happy to let the people decide.
    Great point.

Every Presidential election in my lifetime has been a race to see who can run a better bigger government.

I think the results speak for themselves.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

This whole debt ceiling debate is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen play out in real life.

Congress passed a law putting a limit on the debt, then every time it hits that limit it increases the limit.

Now we argue about it once a year. If you keep raising it, then what's the point? We have major players in both parties who profess that deficits are meaningless.

This, again, comes down to us. We will care enough to put people in office who will actually do something about our debt or will we just continue to rack it up?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts

Premium Member

Limit spending to a percentage of GDP, like the Swiss. It actually controls spending, rather than creating false arguments about a debt "ceiling" that, let's face it, is just going to go up every time we get near it. It's just a big, false red herring that politicians are using to make it look like they are doing something. When, in fact, they are doing nothing but putting on a sideshow while all the same fiscal problems continue...

TK

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Limit spending to a percentage of GDP, like the Swiss. It actually controls spending, rather than creating false arguments about a debt "ceiling" that, let's face it, is just going to go up every time we get near it. It's just a big, false red herring that politicians are using to make it look like they are doing something. When, in fact, they are doing nothing but putting on a sideshow while all the same fiscal problems continue...

TK
    That's about 95% of what Congress does. Return Congress to part time status and don't make this something that is a profession. It's service by the community, not a job.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

That's assuming his own party won't eviscerate him on the way to the primaries. Hell, Rand Paul is likely already plagiarizing Perry's attack on Romney from 2012.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    That's about 95% of what Congress does. Return Congress to part time status and don't make this something that is a profession. It's service by the community, not a job.
    I know what you mean, and I DO think the job becomes an end in itself. But many of our founding fathers were "career politicians." It's the lack of principle that seems to poison everything.

The fact that a non-existent ceiling is our noisiest debates tell you all you need to know. Much ado about nothing.

TK

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

He will never get the nomination unless the Rinos crumble. Christy is already leading fund raiser.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    That's assuming his own party won't eviscerate him on the way to the primaries. Hell, Rand Paul is likely already plagiarizing Perry's attack on Romney from 2012.
    They'll do their best, for sure. But I have this crazy notion that if Cruz keeps speaking and acting upon his principles and convictions, he'll win over a surprising number of voters along the way. A lot can happen between now and primary day.
    Last edited by Red; 02.12.14 at 04:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 11,730 Times in 6,499 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    He will never get the nomination unless the Rinos crumble. Christy is already leading fund raiser.
    Dude, Christie has a better shot at doing a sit up.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

They'll do their best, for sure. But I have this crazy notion that if Cruz keeps speaking and acting upon his principles and convictions, he'll win over a surprising number of voters along the way. A lot can happen between now and primary day.
    Would be kind of funny after 8 years of asking for Obama's birth certificate that the Republicans nominate a guy with a Canadian one.