Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 11,776 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default Clay Aiken Running For Congress

Just what we need.

Clay Aiken Announces Dem Congressional Run with Video Describing Violent Father

Clay Aiken's official foray into politics began early Wednesday with a video describing how his mother once shielded him from his father's violent outbursts.
    Aiken, famous for being the runner up on the second season of American Idol, kicked of his campaign to represent North Carolina in Congress with an emotional video brimming with bipartisan appeals.

The nearly five-minute clip begins with the Democrat describing how his mother suffered bruises, and worse, from his violent father. He goes on to describe how his mother protected him, and how the two existed on a very small income.

From there, Aiken touts his credentials by discussing his work in special education, traveling on behalf of UNICEF and work serving under President George W. Bush in an educational capacity. He also touted his faith, a belief in bipartisan leadership and disappointment in his Republican opponent, Rep. Renee Ellmers, voting for both the government shutdown and military cuts.

On the surface, the 35-year-old Aiken wants the support of both parties.

"I'm not a politician, and I don't ever want to be one," he says, striking an outsider's tone similar to the one Sen. Barack Obama held during the 2008 presidential election.

†"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:32 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

I think he came across pretty well, actually.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts

Premium Member

That was cool. Very human.

Too bad the thread wasn't started for any type of support.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

I have nothing against Clay Aiken and he seems like a nice guy. However, I would never vote for him because we probably do not share the same views. Whether he knows it or not, he is being used. He is either disingenuous or very naive. Also, anyone who would give support to any candidate based on a four minute video is probably a moron.

I posted this because I find it ridiculous that the establishment Democrat party can get away with putting their weight behind another person with absolutely no experience. His biggest accomplishment is becoming famous through American Idol. This is just another sign that we have been dumbed down.

We don't need celebrities. We need leaders.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

His primary opposition, at least until this point, has virtually no "name recognition". He could very well win the Dem nomination. Clay is a very likeable person, in my opinion. But I lean to the right on the issues, and I won't be voting in the Dem primary.

Rep. Renee Ellmers' staff has already begun slinging mud. She's already ticked off a good portion of her base because of her House voting record, and she is beginning to get that dreaded "establishment" label. She'd better be very careful about trashing the guy, even before he wins his primary. If her campaign chooses an arrogant and personal tone towards Clay, she'll end up like Senator Elizabeth Dole when Dole ran against Kay Hagan: suddenly unemployed.

Call me crazy, but I think the gentleman has a shot.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post

Call me crazy, but I think the gentleman has a shot.
    Hey, if this guy can do it

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Default a celebrity in office? It could never work....

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

There's a big difference. Reagan didn't step off the screen and go right into white house. This guy did though, and he turned out to be a Trojan horse.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:41 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

I don't care who runs for office - but the vote should always go to the person who is most qualified...I see no reason why anyone would vote for Aiken, zero experience.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 7,875 Times in 4,602 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't care who runs for office - but the vote should always go to the person who is most qualified...I see no reason why anyone would vote for Aiken, zero experience.
    The people who are "most qualified" are the ones destroying this country and have been for years.

People vote for celebrities and fringe candidates because they can't possibly do any worse than a career politician.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I agree. The original idea of serving in political office was to serve the people for a time, then go back to your original career/line of work/ place in society and let someone else serve. Now, being a congressman/woman or senator (without term limits) is a destination career, full of power, perks and prestige; and those who serve too long become entrenched, entitled and part of the problem.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    There's a big difference. Reagan didn't step off the screen and go right into white house.

He was still acting shortly before he became Governor of California, (very much like Arnold) how is that different? Clay isn't running for president. Gotta start somewhere
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 02.06.14 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typo

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    The people who are "most qualified" are the ones destroying this country and have been for years.

People vote for celebrities and fringe candidates because they can't possibly do any worse than a career politician.
    I agree with this. Clay Aiken seems smart and a decent guy. It seems really, really silly to sort of base that opinion on a reality show (Celeb Apprentice), but one of the only people that a guy I listen to regularly, Adam Carolla, came away liking on that show was Aiken.

I'd imagine Aiken and I don't share much in politics, but part of me would rather have a "civilian" in office than another fucking ivy league educated lawyer. A bunch of lawyers in a room is one of the reasons why things get so complicated.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 02.06.14 at 10:51 AM.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

based on the few times i've heard him interviewed he seems like a smart, hard working dude. So this basically means he's not eligible to hold office.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    experience doing what? Being a politician and setting money on fire?