Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Default Van Halen was never about the singer ...

That was a quote I read in a magazine about 15 years ago . It may have been GFTPM or GW . It's a statement that I whole heartedly agree with , and have never forgotten .

Even EVH has said that his songs can stand on their own as instrumentals . He's made such great , perfect , music throughout his career . I enjoy it all , and can get swept away by it all .

The three lead singers and other band members all had their strengths and weaknesses , but Eddie's musical sensibilities were always at the forefront . Of course I'm aware that the other guys had a lot to do with the recipe we love so much - but Eddie is the key ingredient IMO .

"Van Halen was never about the singer ..." - anonymous quote .

Thoughts ?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

I would agree to a certain extent.

For me personally, VH was always Ed, Al, and Mike. As long as those three guys are there, then I'm happy.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Default This is NOT another juniour high Dave vs Sam thread !

Oh yeah , like I said - the other guys all had a big role too . I can listen to ANY song by VH and still consider it "VH" , y'know ?

I get a kick out of the factions that dismiss certain eras of the band due to whomever happened to be the vocalist at the time .

Comments like "Eddie hasn't done anything cool since 1985" , "He's been on auto pilot for two decades" , or "His tone sucks balls since WACF" - make me scratch my head !!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I would agree to a certain extent.

For me personally, VH was always Ed, Al, and Mike. As long as those three guys are there, then I'm happy.
    Well, to be fair the singers weren't just singers, they were collaborators. Look at VH III.

Let's not.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

But see , that's kind of my whole point !

Even VH III had some cool Eddie moments on it . Say what you want about the vox or the production ...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

This should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

I love Eddie's playing but to be one of the biggest band's in the world you have to have a kick ass frontman.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    This should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone
    LOL !

It's been a long time since that fateful April 1st , many moons ago . The Dave/Sam debate is pointless , quite frankly . IMO .

My whole point is - VH has a huge wealth of great material . It all Eddie's music . He's the reason I've stuck around for 3 decades .

Different singers , amps , guitars , pedals vs rack effects , studios , and even a few synth tunes - don't change that fact . For me at least .

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

Maybe it hasn't been about the singers but its always been about Ed having people with him to complete his vision.

Dave and Sam did this, Donn Landee did this too.

Ed needs a guy like Sam or Dave to turn his riffs into songs. You can't deny that at all.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

You make a good point . I'll certainly admit that Ed got some valuable assistance from his inner circle .

Just like listening to those "Wild Life" ditties though , I think Ed had a pretty good grasp of what he was doing all on his own ! It's always about the music for me . Those iso tracks on YouTube show the genius in EVH's talent for creating guitar parts .

I'll go a step further , and say that it extends to his forays with other instruments as well . Sammy once said that "it's a special kind of music and you can only get it here" - something to that effect .

I agree . No matter who was behind the microphone , Eddie's music is what propelled the band . That's why I can listen to any cd from the entire collection without bias or shame .

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 458 Times in 210 Posts

This is just my opinion but I disagree. Van Halen was never about Ed either, meaning "Only about Ed" same as the title hints. If VH was only about Ed, or even about Ed, Al, and Mike then why did III do so shitty? It was supposed to be Ed finally being unhindered and able to fully do something special with a hand-picked vocalist.

So no, Van Halen has always been about a successful collaboration (except with Cherone) between Ed and very gifted and talented music front men.

And with this:
    "The three lead singers and other band members all had their strengths and weaknesses , but Eddie's musical sensibilities were always at the forefront ."

Always at the forefront? No. He was constantly having his musical sensibilities put on the back-burner by Roth and Templeman in favor of cover songs and tones Ed was never happy with. In between the arguably very successful formula of cover songs, Ed still had equal if not prevalent room to inject his own brilliant tracks loaded with tons of what made him into the legend he is today.

Could VH have been successful without covers? Yeah, history has shown it. But Ed is not, and never was, the sole driving force in VH's success. It was always somewhat, even half the time "about the singer".

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Road House Goon #1 - "You don't look like much to me "
    Swayze - "Opinions vary ..."

LOL . It's all good . Ed , Al , Mike , and now Wolfgang . The music was played by all of them . I never meant to imply that the other musicians weren't needed . Only that it's the music that propels VH , which stems from Eddie .

The fact that they had great success with such radically different vocalists is a testament to just that . The music . Barring a suggestion about arrangements , lyrical content , or background harmonies - I think it's safe to say that Ed's contribution was pretty profound .

The III remark ? That album could've failed for many different reasons .
    Btw - wasn't Sam a 'hand picked' singer too ?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I call BS.

I've bought tons of VH stuff over the year, had a Kramer, met EVH, hell, I even live in Pasadena (though that's more of coincidence than anything else). But still I'm a bit appalled by the fact that a big part of the fanbase has morphed into a "cult of EVH" type of deal. So much so that the clever ppl at Howdy Doody mountain probably heard about it and started manufacturing evh flip flops, evh cell phone cases, etc.
    I play guitar because of Eddie, and did music professionally for a numbers of years, so I'm a huge fan of the guy. But it doesn't mean that because of that I will minimize the other guys' contribution. I'm a fan of both Van Halen the band and Eddie. Like ppl said, EVH alone, you have to be honest, you don't always get "Eruption" or "Cathedral." You sometimes get "Catherine" or "Strung Out."
    So much so that the inclusion of "Eruption" on VHI was largely Ted Templeman's idea. Same thing with "Spanish Fly." All this to say that contrary to some stories we hear these days, Eddie didn't do it alone. He need many, many good people around him to get to where he is today. And take away the singer, or more accurately the singerS (credit to Mike there), you do not get VHI, Fair Warning, 1984, 5150, etc.
    Van Halen is/was about the whole band, including the singer.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

The whole package was cool . Both of the main eras rocked . Plenty of hit songs , and ones that weren't 'hits' , but were still downright amazing .
    No denying that at all . Of course the other guys were part of the deal !
    I just think of Eddie's role in the proceedings when I think of VH . That's not to discredit anyone else ... Maybe it comes across that way in print ?

Many people were miffed and turned off by the 2004 tour , for example . Sammy , Mike , and Alex were in good form . Eddie wasn't . The 'music' was lacking and people knew it ...

It's one thing for a singer to forget some words or have an off night , but fans really get irate when the music suffers . Y'know what I mean ? LOL

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 549 Times in 382 Posts

Eddie is definitely the most important member of the band.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"