Donor

I miss it.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

I canít believe we made it.

According to todayís regulators and bureaucrats those of us who were kids in the Ď50s, Ď60s, Ď70s or even early Ď80s, probably should not have survived. Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We had no childproof lids or locks on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets. And when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle. We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drink soda with lots of sugar in it. But we were rarely overweight because we were always outside playing. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

Smartphones, we didnít have cellphones at all, no PlayStations, Xboxes, limitless channels on cable, laptops or tablets. Facebook was an actual face and an actual book. We had friends. We went outside and found them. We played dodgeball, and sometimes the ball would hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. No one was to blame but us. Remember accidents, we had fights and punched each other and got black and blue, and learned to get over it. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we didnít put out any eyes. We rode bikes or walked to a friendís home, knocked on the door, rang the bell or just walked right in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didnít had to learn to deal with disappointment. Some students werenít as smart as others, so they failed the grade and were held back to repeat the same grade. Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. The idea of parents bailing us out if we got in trouble in school or broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the school or the law, imagine that. Now this generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever. We had freedom, failure, success, and responsibility and we learnt how to deal with it.

If youíve related to anything that we just said, youíre one of them. Congratulations. You made itÖ

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA