Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default Just got the 5150 III combo

My brother bought me the EVH 5150 III combo for my Birthday! Obviously a great gift. It arrived a bit early at my house. So I've had several days to play it. I've been playing my old Peavey 5150 with matching 4x12 since the 90's. Almost exclusively. I actually have two. My brother went with a VHT half stack and gave me his 5150 head and matching cab years ago. I also have a Class 5 combo signed my Jim Marshall and a Vox VR 30r. But I'm a 5150 guy. I also play too much Van Halen. So I'm amazed at a few things. The combo absolutely holds it own against a 4x12 which I never would have guessed. The combo has as much bass and thump as my PV 5150. The combo speakers, G12M sound great. However it does not sound like a PV 5150. It's the speakers. When I use a 4x12 and unplug the combo speaker, then I go there's the 5150 sound. So it has all the thump of the old PV and somehow more gain and better string clarity. Way more gain. But through PV 4x12 the combo as a head has all the grind of classic VH. The el34 chunk is missing. Otherwise it reminded me of the first three albums. Had that crisp edge to it. Also it begs to play Judgement Day. Sounds like the album minus the detune. So it does everything the old 5150 does, but better. In comparison my PV was a bit muddy and this seems impossible to me, but the new III has better sustain and harmonics! Again this was using the combo through a Peavey 5150 4x12 against a Peavey 5150 half stack. I recently retubed my PV head too. Back to the combo. Cleans are good. Blue channel I loved at first. But I'm starting to use the red channel more. Blue channel is great classic rock. It even can do a decent 1984 tone. Kinda. Red channel is insane. Way more gain then you'll ever use or need. I actually have the gain on 3. Maybe 3.5. and it's a perfect amount for me. Power scaling. It works great! I put it on 1 watt and cranked the blue channel all the way up. Actually hurt my ear. Really. It was that loud. One watt makes it a great bedroom practice amp. Now I can't wait for the speakers to break in! I'll try to get some sound clips soon. I don't have a mic, but my iPad and iPhone come out pretty good. Maybe I'll try to get a mic this week. Gotta go play my new combo now! Woo-hoo!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

good for you bro..... glad you got one. I was going to get that but ended up with the 50W head and 2X12 and love that as well but sometimes wish I got the combo for the power scaling. Your right too about Judgement day. I actually got a BOSS PS6 harmonizer / dtuner for the 5150 III and it nails the FUCK / Balance stuff to a tee..

cant wait to hear some clips too dude. Thats sweet you got it. Post some pics too...

Rob

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

That's really cool ! I wish I had a brother like that . Haha
    Great review of the 5150 III , and comparison to the Peavey . I've owned a few of the original 5150 series amps , so I liked the insight .

Glad you love it . I'm wanting one as well ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I owned a 50w head for a while, channel 3's gain is ridiculous I too never put it past 3. How close are the 2 amps lead channels? I'd assume the crunch is a big departure since it's based around the Marshall thing.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Nice dude! Ive owned all 3 versions of the 5150 III SO FAR(100 watt, 50watt and the combo) Thought it sounded good but went back tot he Peavey version. I also am a 5150 man and play FAR to much VH lol

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.17.15 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanone View Post
    Nice dude! Ive owned all 3 versions of the 5150 III SO FAR(100 watt, 50watt and the combo) Thought it sounded good but went back tot he Peavey version. I also am a 5150 man and play FAR to much VH lol
    How did you find the 50 vs 100w? From various clips and reading I've gathered more gain on 50 blue and red, less on 50 green, 100 has more 'honky/wah' type mids?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargoalie View Post
    How did you find the 50 vs 100w? From various clips and reading I've gathered more gain on 50 blue and red, less on 50 green, 100 has more 'honky/wah' type mids?
    The only difference I heard was less gain on the blue channel for the 100watt when compared to the 50watt. I personally preferred the 50

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I read that Eddie uses the crunch channel for the majority of his live work . It makes sense , because roughly 85% of the material on the last tour(s) was recorded with a Marshall , right ?

I'm guessing it's based on the Marshall circuit but with a bit more oomph .
    I really want to check one of the 5150 III amps out . Dying to hear the clean channel as well .

One day ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    good for you bro..... glad you got one. I was going to get that but ended up with the 50W head and 2X12 and love that as well but sometimes wish I got the combo for the power scaling. Your right too about Judgement day. I actually got a BOSS PS6 harmonizer / dtuner for the 5150 III and it nails the FUCK / Balance stuff to a tee..

cant wait to hear some clips too dude. Thats sweet you got it. Post some pics too...

Rob
    I'm stalking detune/harmonizers. Thinking about the Boss. That's awesome dude! The 50 watt head might be more convenient for me. I could keep a EVH 1x12 in my living room and use my old or get a new EVH 4x12 for my basement. The combo ain't much too look at. 50 watt head and 2x12 look cool. I'm a sucker for a gimmick so I really wanted the power scaling. Ya know how good any 5150 sounds at low volumes, except it's extra fizzy? Then you turn it up and some of the fizz does away? That's what power scaling does. With it turned all the way up the combo is like all 5150s. Turn it down to 1 watt and it warms the tone up. Less fizzy. I'm talking red channel here.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by guitargoalie View Post
    I owned a 50w head for a while, channel 3's gain is ridiculous I too never put it past 3. How close are the 2 amps lead channels? I'd assume the crunch is a big departure since it's based around the Marshall thing.
    I only compared the Peavey 5150 lead channel, gain at 5.5, Post at 2.5 to red on the combo. I settled on about 9:00 on the combo gain. Still had more gain than the PV, but it was clearer and articulate. Less sloppy sounding. Also less compressed. I was on a big 5150 rhythm channel kick recently. I'll get around to comparing them soon.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    I read that Eddie uses the crunch channel for the majority of his live work . It makes sense , because roughly 85% of the material on the last tour(s) was recorded with a Marshall , right ?

I'm guessing it's based on the Marshall circuit but with a bit more oomph .
    I really want to check one of the 5150 III amps out . Dying to hear the clean channel as well .

One day ...
    My brother met Ross Hogarth, the producer for ADKOT at the VH friends and family show in LA. I guess Ross told my brother Ed used the 5150 III on the album and resisted attempts by Ross to use the Marshall. Apparently Ross preferred the Marshall.

2012 in Boston. I was like hey, that's not a 5150 I hear. Didn't have the fizz. Then I went home and played the very lonely and unused rhythm channel on my PV 5150 on a hunch. Sounded pretty close to me. Then I for the first time used the two channels with a drummer. Tried to use them as labelled. Lead for leads etc. I liked the rhythm channel played loud! It also sounded like what I heard from VH, or close enough. Ed does switch channels very often. Since at least 1998. Best example, watch a recent live clip of the Mean Street intro. First tapping part is his blue channel. Second tapping part is the red channel and it sounds like a 5150.

I might buy a mic interface this week and demo all three channels. I'll do what Ed should have done, play some VH through his amps! Maybe I'll just use my video camera. Got some work to do...

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    My brother bought me the EVH 5150 III combo for my Birthday!!

You can't imagine how jealous I am. Wow is that an awesome gift.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    You can't imagine how jealous I am. Wow is that an awesome gift.
    I bought him a Fender Blues Junior for Christmas back in '96. He says with inflation we're even. I tried to argue, but I didn't try too hard!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.06.14 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother met Ross Hogarth, the producer for ADKOT at the VH friends and family show in LA. I guess Ross told my brother Ed used the 5150 III on the album and resisted attempts by Ross to use the Marshall. Apparently Ross preferred the Marshall.
    That's cool to hear, thanks.

I liked the rhythm channel played loud!
    I play nothing but classic metal type stuff and I never touch the lead hi-gain on my 5150 combo, I only use the "low" gain rhythm channel. It burns like crazy with a perfect chunk. It also took me owning the amp for years before I made that simple discovery. "Hi gain is betterer...derrrrr."

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

2012 in Boston. I was like hey, that's not a 5150 I hear. Didn't have the fizz. Then I went home and played the very lonely and unused rhythm channel on my PV 5150 on a hunch. Sounded pretty close to me. Then I for the first time used the two channels with a drummer. Tried to use them as labelled. Lead for leads etc. I liked the rhythm channel played loud! It also sounded like what I heard from VH, or close enough. Ed does switch channels very often. Since at least 1998. Best example, watch a recent live clip of the Mean Street intro. First tapping part is his blue channel. Second tapping part is the red channel and it sounds like a 5150.

I might buy a mic interface this week and demo all three channels. I'll do what Ed should have done, play some VH through his amps! Maybe I'll just use my video camera. Got some work to do...

actually 2 5150 III's and 2 cabs.