Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Puzzling Paradox’: Study Finds Higher Divorce Rate Among Conservative Protestants

Puzzling Paradox’: Study Finds Higher Divorce Rate Among Conservative Protestants

Are you a religiously conservative Protestant or someone who lives in area populated by many of them? According to American researchers, you are at higher risk of divorce.

Defining “conservative Protestants” as those who believe the Bible to be literally true, researchers Jennifer Glass (University of Texas) and Philip Levchak (University of Iowa) found that while “most conservatives frown upon divorce, and religious commitment is believed to strengthen marriage,” the states with higher concentrations of such people experienced higher divorce rates.

“[O]ne of the strongest factors predicting divorce rates (per 1000 married couples) is the concentration of conservative or evangelical Protestants in that county,” the researchers explain. Religiously conservative states Alabama and Arkansas have the second and third highest divorce rates in the U.S., while religiously liberal New Jersey and Massachusetts have two of the lowest. Full graph below shows the regional correlation:

Describing their findings as a “puzzling paradox,” the researchers explained that the higher divorce rate among religious conservatives is tied to early marriage and early childbearing — factors already known to contribute to strained marriages and divorce. “Starting families earlier tends to stop young adults from pursuing more education and depresses their wages, putting more strain on marriages,” Glass stated.

The study, slated for publishing in February 2014′s American Journal of Sociology, also discovered that even if you are not a conservative Protestant, you are at higher risk of divorce just by living in an area heavily populated by them.

Studying the U.S. map county by county, the researchers found that for every 1% increase in the share of conservative Protestants compared to the baseline, the divorce rate went up 0.02%. The reason behind such an increase, Glass asserted, is that such communities tend to have a culture that encourages early marriage, contributing to divorce rates.

“Pharmacies might not give out emergency contraception. Schools might only teach abstinence education,” Glass explained. Additionally, living in such a marriage market fosters a fear that the “best catches” are “going to go first” if you don’t marry early.
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/puzzl...e-protestants/
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

I always found it kind of hypocritical and/or ignorant when evangelical Christians get divorced and remarried, but then rail against homosexuals who want to get married. In the gospels, Jesus specifically says that to get a divorce (except in cases of infidelity) and then marry another is adultery (Matthew 19:9).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think it is much more likely that a very young couple will be told to wait, not to rush into anything. Where is this culture of early marriage?

This study makes it sound like the south is full of Jerry Lee Lewis types, running around impregnating the young'ns and infecting the neighbors with the Big D virus.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I think it is much more likely that a very young couple will be told to wait, not to rush into anything. Where is this culture of early marriage?
    I don't think it is a question of pushing for early marriage, but rather pushing for abstinence until marriage and not encouraging the use of condoms. This often leads to couples getting married young so they can have sex or having unprotected sex before marriage, resulting in pregnancy and a push for marriage.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

look at the number of high profile gospel artists who are divorced...Amy Grant, Sandy Patty, Vickie Winans, the Haddons from Preachers of LA, Michael English ( a tremendous performer with the Gaither Vocal Band whose career came completely off the rails shortly after an affair was revealed)

tough thing trying to be perfect

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Could it be that atheist conservatives, liberals , libertarians ,independents, and anarchists just don't get married as much so no divorces?? The most religious person I know is 55 and has taken the plunge 3 times. One was enough for me.
    Last edited by edwardv; 01.24.14 at 03:04 PM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VHisback View Post
    I always found it kind of hypocritical and/or ignorant when evangelical Christians get divorced and remarried, but then rail against homosexuals who want to get married. In the gospels, Jesus specifically says that to get a divorce (except in cases of infidelity) and then marry another is adultery (Matthew 19:9).
    Ok, what the hell does gay marriage have to do with this?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Could it be that atheist conservatives, liberals , libertarians ,independents, and anarchists just don't get married as much so no divorces??
    Good question. Is the study measuring marriages that end in divorce or is it comparing divorce rate per capita and not factoring in the rate at which each group marries?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

tough thing trying to be perfect
    I'm not sure of your point here. We could look at most any segment of society...professional athletes, rock stars, Hollywood actors and actresses, lawyers, bankers, etc.....and find a high divorce rate. Or a high level of promiscuity (teachers?).

We could look at homosexual couples, and find a high rate of failed "commitments", depending on their legal status.

I'm thinking giving up on a long-term relationship is rampant everywhere?

And obviously, everyone fails in trying to be perfect. It's just that when you're supposed to be "for" traditional family values, it's a much more glaring failure when you screw it up. I don't think that necessarily makes the goal, or the standard, a bad thing to try to live up to.

I bet if they did a study on couples who reach their 50th anniversary, they would find an early marriage age in most cases.

I don't know, I'm not saying this study is total crap, but I think the data probably leaves more questions than answers, or something, or whatever...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Actually, I can see that the darkest county in North Carolina is Cumberland County, home of Fort Bragg and Fayetteville, which has a high concentration of military families from all over the country. What does that say? Military life is incredibly tough, and that county isn't really representative of "native" North Carolinians.

I live in the adjacent east county, and we love some Jesus.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Ok, what the hell does gay marriage have to do with this?
    I'm just saying that I find it hypocritical when people say gay marriage violates the sanctity of marriage, when they themselves have violated the sanctity of marriage by getting divorced.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

not at all shocked. Look at the talking heads of the "conservative" right, most of them are working on marriage 2 or 3. Conservative my ass. People need to differentiate between "voting Repulican" and "living a conservative life". They aren't the same thing.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VHisback View Post
    I'm just saying that I find it hypocritical when people say gay marriage violates the sanctity of marriage, when they themselves have violated the sanctity of marriage by getting divorced.
    It shows that none of us are perfect since both are prohibited.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

It's not so much a "puzzling paradox" as it is "hypocritical grandstanding".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

As it is infered in the article, the reason for the higher divorce rate is because people feel the pressure to get married even when they shouldn't. When you are in your late teens or early 20's and head-over-heels in love, the thinking becomes "okay, you're it, let's do this." In the more "liberal" and "atheistic" regions of the country, it's more likely that those couples will just bump uglies until their early late 20's and share an apartment. They'll probably break up along the way even if they produce a child, but it doesn't count as a divorce.

It should also be pointed out that living together before you're married and having sex before you're married are also shown to greatly increase divorce rates.

Believe it or not, it is possible to do it the "right" way according to these conservative values (abstinent and living separately before marriage). By doing it that way couples are far more likely to stay together, so it makes sense to try it without the religious context associated with it. Being that we are all human, there are sure to be failures along the way, but there is a method to the religious madness, even if it gets obscured by idiots.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.