adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Default Eddie Trunk Calls Van Halen Another Led Zeppelin”

Eddie Trunk writes about his introduction to Van Halen

I’ve had some arguments with friends over the years when they ask, “Will there ever be another Led Zeppelin?” Because my answer is yes, and they’re called Van Halen.

To me, the music of Van Halen is that essential and timeless. Listen to any of the David Lee Roth-era Van Halen recordings today and they sound as fresh and groundbreaking as they did when they first came out in the late ’70s and early ’80s. Just like the Led Zeppelin albums, those Van Halen records never sound dated.

Back in 1978, when the first, self-titled Van Halen album came out, I was in high school and still very much a card carrying member of the Kiss Army. For me at that time, any other band was a threat to my heroes Gene, Paul, Peter, and Ace, and I would argue constantly with Zeppelin fans that Kiss was a better band. (I usually lost that one). At Madison High School in New Jersey, I was lucky enough to have the “cool” teacher for history. Mr. Chemerka – or Mr. C as we call him – new music and loved how fanatical I was about it even then. One day, during my freshman year, Mr. C told me he found the band that would eclipse Kiss in my book, a band with better guitar playing, performances, and songs. He was talking about Van Halen. I had to explore this band right away, so I ordered the first album through one of those record clubs advertised in TV Guide.

When it arrived and I dropped the needle on it for the first time, the opening sounds of “Runnin’ With The Devil” made me nervous. I knew that this was a whole new level of rock and roll – something beyond Kiss – and I had never heard anything like it before. At the time, no one had! And Eddie Van Halen’s playing – his finger-tapping technique on the neck of the guitar – was totally groundbreaking. The entire band sounded massive! Van Halen were heavier and meaner than a lot of what I was listening to it that point. I couldn’t believe it.

I quickly got a hold of myself and realized that this Van Halen was a threat to Kiss’s thrown. Even though I knew Van Halen was great, I still had to fight for my favorite band. I could never be a traitor to the makeup monsters on my wall. So I argued with Mr. C every day, and he continued to torment me as the Van Halen got bigger and bigger. But one day I noticed on the back of Van Halen’s album cover that the first person named on their “thank you” list was GENE SIMMONS! I was shocked. Gene new Van Halen! I confronted Mr. C and, after doing some digging, I found out that it was Gene who discovered Van Halen. He also produced and financed their demo. As if anointed by the gods, with my loyalty no longer in question, I was then fully willing to embrace VH – and, man, did they ever deliver!

The bands next three albums – Van Halen II, Women And Children First, and Fair Warning – are still incredible. Eddie’s innovative guitar playing is at the core of every song, but the rest of the band is equally amazing. With his blues influence, David Lee Roth’s raspy-to-wailing vocals are always exactly the perfect accompaniment to the music. Bassist Michael Anthony is not only a great player, but his high vocal harmonies also add a whole other layer to Roth’s style. Additionally, Alex Van Halen is a totally powerful drummer in his own right. The band involved within a hard rock context, continually turning out their in-your-face sound and timeless songs.

I often went to see VH back in the day, but to be honest, I was never in love with their live shows. The band always sounded sloppy, and David Lee Roth was sometimes more of a circus clown than a singer. He’d drive me nuts when he’d do nothing but stand with his arms out just soaking in applause. Or when he’d do karate moves and gymnastics while waving around a sword with scarves dangling from it for five full minutes. I think, “Hell, I could be hearing two more songs!” But I realize that many would disagree with me, as Van Halen was considered one of the best live acts at the time.

When 1984 – also the name of their album released that year – rolled around, I was working as a clerk in my local record store. I still remember rushing to the turntable and cranking the stereo the day Van Halen’s new single “Jump” arrived. I was shocked at what came out of the speakers. KEYBOARDS! A huge synth-sound and a poppy melody? On a Van Halen song? The only guitar I could hear was in the solo. While this crossed the line of what was appropriate in hard rock for me, I was again in the minority, because “Jump“ became a major hit, as did the whole album when it came out.

Whenever I’m not sure what to play on the radio, I always grab one of the first few Van Halen CDs and crank up the cut like “Romeo Delight “, “In A Simple Rhyme“, “Somebody Get Me A Doctor “, “Atomic Punk“, or “Hear About It Later“. It’s hard not to be in the mood for classic Van Halen. They have something for everybody: the hooks and looks for the chicks, and the guitar hero for the guys. But above and beyond everything, they had amazing songs. When you consider that they were a four-piece band, with only one guitar, it’s mind-blowing how massive their sound was. I truly feel that like Led Zeppelin, who are still a mainstay on the radio and in pop culture 40 years after their debut, Van Halen will hold a place in the hearts of rock fans for decades to come. They will rightfully be regarded as one of the most innovative hard rock bands ever.

Usually I could give a fuck what this dude thinks but I must agree on this

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Creem Magazine said the same thing...in the review for Van Halen II in '79
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

When people were saying this in 79 about VH it actually pissed me off. Dave used to go round saying it on radio and print. Now 35 years later I'm down with it.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

I love VH, but they are not Led Zeppelin. He was spot on about how groundbreaking they were in the early days and how the six pack still sounds fresh.

THEY ARE NOT LED ZEPPELIN
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

He spelled throne wrong... and knew.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post

Well, literally-speaking, you are quite right: they're not.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

I love VH, but they are not Led Zeppelin. He was spot on about how groundbreaking they were in the early days and how the six pack still sounds fresh.

Duh. THEY'RE FUCKING BETTER!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Duh. THEY'RE FUCKING BETTER!
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Van Halen is my favorite band, but Led Zep is just the monster of the genre. Everyone falls short in comparison.

Led Zeppelin played on their 1977 tour was just an epic band. Playing the Seattle Kingdome, the Pontiac Silverdome, selling out six shows at Madison Square Garden, six shows at the Forum, with NO advertising dollars used. None. Just word of mouth on the street.

And that is all without any hit singles. People just forget how absolutely insane the Led Zeppelin experience was in the 1970's. Van Halen pales in comparison, even as great as they are.

They could have been the American Zeppelin, but DLR and Ed fucked it up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Van Halen is my favorite band, but Led Zep is just the monster of the genre. Everyone falls short in comparison.

Led Zeppelin played on their 1977 tour was just an epic band. Playing the Seattle Kingdome, the Pontiac Silverdome, selling out six shows at Madison Square Garden, six shows at the Forum, with NO advertising dollars used. None. Just word of mouth on the street.

And that is all without any hit singles. People just forget how absolutely insane the Led Zeppelin experience was in the 1970's. Van Halen pales in comparison, even as great as they are.

They could have been the American Zeppelin, but DLR and Ed fucked it up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Led Zeppelin in the public eye is more iconic. That said "why?"

Well they had few benefits thrown their way that Van Halen or any band since, never had. They started in an era which is universally praised as the best era of rock. Any band that wasn't pure pop that started after the Beatles up to around 70 is universally accepted as a great artist. Yes I am generalizing a tad but think of how many iconic artists are from the 60's compared to any other decade.

So they have that. Its like the era of baseball from 20's up until the 50's. Nobody today (even if their stats are similar or better) will measure up to Ruth, Gheric, Musial, Greenberg, DiMaggio, Mantle, Mays, etc It was the golden era just like the 60's. Yes I know LZ went into the 70's but they started in the 60's

Secondly, they have a deceased member. We were not afforded a version of LZ maybe with mullets, hair spray, spandex and possibly some eye shadow. No cheesy 80's keys. So their legacy was not possibly stained by sub par future releases. No band or artist legacy was ever hurt by a death. it only elevates a band.

I think LZ is better in the overall scope of rock music but I see his point. One of the few I actually can agree with Eddie on. BTW live, Van Halen slayed Led Zeppelin. Compare the limited video of early VH compared to what I saw of Van Halen and its no comparison. Sorry. Led Zeppelin had more depth though.

Anyway nobody will ever be able to be another LZ, Beatles, Doors, Clapton, Who, Janis, etc because we can't even imagine that is possible. I truly doubt that the most iconic music in rock history was all created in the 60's. We do it with all forms of music (Bach, Mozart, Beethoven greater than anybody else) so its natural but any music scholar recognizes it differently.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Right now if you gave me a choice of seeing Zep in 73 or CVH in 78 or Van Hagar on the Balance tour I got to tell you I'm down with VH. Aside from Bonhams swing style edging out Alex, Eddie blows Page away on guitar. Vocally Plants voice was shot after about 75 and still is imo and Dave was a better frontman in the day and Sammy had the pipes still does! JPJ is a better bass player then MA but Mike has the harmony pipes. Both great bands but I give the edge to VH.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 6,706 Times in 3,725 Posts

This is starting to feel like grade 9 again and we're arguing who's better between two bands. Who gives a shit? I was never a huge Zep fan - likely partly due to the fact they were done as an act when i was 6 years old.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    This is starting to feel like grade 9 again and we're arguing who's better between two bands.
    Sam or Dave?