Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Ohio execution uses new protocol, takes 26 minutes

my feelings about capital punishment admittedly go all over the place. This was a particularly heinous crime. A young pregnant woman kidnapped, tortured and raped and the perpetrator tries to frame someone else for the crime before running out of appeals and finally admitting to guilt.

Ohio has to switch protocols due to the manufacturer of the previous drug making it unavailable for exuecutions.

obviously, the new protocol did not work as planned but did work as the defense attorneys predicted and the execution took quite a long time.

now the family of the executed murderer plans to sue the state for making the murderer suffer!

the Ohio courts have ruled that the executed do not have a right to expect a pain free or stress free execution http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-9059842.html

bring back ol Sparky I guess

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justic...ire-execution/

http://news.yahoo.com/daughter-ohio-...151124273.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/us...hods.html?_r=0

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I can totally appreciate why a lot of people feel the death penalty is appropriate in some cases; I feel that way too - but this story really is discomforting...

Yes, I think capital punishment was warranted in this case, but I'd be very disturbed to hear that the authorities had used this method again. We might well feel, on an emotional, purely instinctual level, that he (and those like him) deserve to suffer, but from a more rational perspective, I don't like it. It doesn't seem civilised to me; it makes me feel like we're almost as bad as he is. And that's not right.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

That fucker got what he deserved. The woman he murdered felt 1 million times more fear and pain. I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

That's not the point though...It's not about feeling sorry for him, or him getting what he deserved, which he undoubtedly did...It's about what it says about us, as supposedly civilised human beings if we can support / endorse such a method of disposing of people.

It just makes me feel uncomfortable, to think that this might be seen as perfectly OK...Like I said, I can appreciate putting criminals, such as this man, to death; I just don't think we need to make it as long-winded and tortuous as what was exhibited here...That just makes us sadistic; primitive even...I'd like to think that we're 'better' than that, to be honest.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I think it's a matter of perspective:

Well, just imagine he had raped and murdered one of your loved ones. I don't think we'd mind the "uncivilized" treatment. In fact, I believe we'd prefer it.

But, what if the person being executed is/was one of your loved ones? I couldn't imagine how I'd feel at that point. In the end, I'm sure I wouldn't want them to suffer, however.

I know this was a case of "experimentation" with new drugs and they will try not to have this happen again, but I believe he got what he deserved.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Maybe, Jimmy...Maybe...I just think I'd want it all over with as quickly as possible, no matter what my 'involvement' - one of the reasons being that all of the publicity surrounding it must surely make it all the more awful for the victim's family, re-living it all, hearing about it all the time...Then again, being fortunate enough never having had to go through something like this, I wouldn't really know...(And touch wood, I NEVER have to know).

Whichever perspective, the whole thing, all of it, is still horrible...And it makes me despair of the human race...And I seem to find myself saying that more and more, just lately.

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    That's not the point though...It's not about feeling sorry for him, or him getting what he deserved, which he undoubtedly did...It's about what it says about us, as supposedly civilised human beings if we can support / endorse such a method of disposing of people.
    I guess it's me, but once you cross that line, I don't really think of you as "people" any more.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

the family of the slain girl issued a statement that said that they forgave him for his crime, yet still believed that he needed to pay for the crime here on earth

they understood that it was an experimental protocol and were at peace with it,

I wouldn't want anyone unnecessarily subjected to pain or fear in executing them, because that makes us one of them. If there is a pain free option it should be used but I also don't believe that in the absence of such methods executions should be stopped.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

I'm not a fan of the death penalty but the family suing is flat out comical. You raised an animal, feel free to hide your faces in shame for the balance of your lives.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Completely against the death penalty. Punitive revenge killing, no matter who does it, is wrong. It also doesn't work. And we don't do it very well, case in point. Lock them up forever. It's win/win cuz it's cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I'm not a fan of the death penalty but the family suing is flat out comical. You raised an animal, feel free to hide your faces in shame for the balance of your lives.
    Mike, you have NO IDEA what led that man to do the terrible thing(s) he did...How can you possibly blame the family when you have no evidence to suggest that they were in any way responsible??? What happened to this 'personal responsibility' concept of which you were all in favour in other threads? HE made the choice(s) he did; not his family!

Of course, in some instances, we can trace back certain behaviours to childhood abuse, or whatever - and in those cases, YES, the family members responsible should feel dreadful about what their behaviour caused - but sometimes, a person can be affected by things totally unrelated to the family situation! To suggest that his relatives should be 'punished', shamed forever more, when, as I've said, we don't know the history, is an AWFUL thing to say.

I'm actually really surprised at you...

(That doesn't mean I am in any way in favour of them suing the state authorities - I'm not).
    Last edited by dibblekins; 01.20.14 at 01:41 AM. Reason: For Mike!

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Hang'em High. Quicker than 26 minutes.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Mike, you have NO IDEA what led that man to do the terrible thing(s) he did...How can you possibly blame the family when you have no evidence to suggest that they were in any way responsible??? What happened to this 'personal responsibility' concept of which you were all in favour in other threads? HE made the choice(s) he did; not his family!

Of course, in some instances, we can trace back certain behaviours to childhood abuse, or whatever - and in those cases, YES, the family members responsible should feel dreadful about what their behaviour caused - but sometimes, a person can be affected by things totally unrelated to the family situation! To suggest that his relatives should be 'punished', shamed forever more, when, as I've said, we don't know the history, is an AWFUL thing to say.

I'm actually really surprised at you...

(That doesn't mean I am in any way in favour of them suing the state authorities - I'm not).
    I'm suggesting they have some sort of nerve suing. The fact they are tells us all we need to know about the quality of these people. If one of my children grows up to be a rapist /murderer i'd like to think i'd have the decency of feeling some shame instead of turning it into a money making opportunity.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Okay then why not a lethal dose of heroin or a speedball. Hanging sounds pretty good. I am for the death penalty when it is beyond reasonable doubt the guy did it. Those fuck heads in Cheshire CT should die. Personally I think that it would be great to put these people to death with a lethal dose of some drug that will allow them to watch a virtual reality like re-enactment of the crime they committed being done to them while the drug slowly puts them to sleep for good.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,806 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Should have taken 26 hours if you ask me or 26 days. If he was my relative I would be absolutely sickened to know that a former loved one did something like this. I am sure whatever this poor woman suffered along with her fetus was in a tad more pain. Her family suffered far more than this shit bags. His actions caused a reaction by the State.

That said they should learn from their mistakes and try to make an execution less news worthy. However out government has some other problems it should tackle first before looking into humane ways of eliminating human trash.

I don't know how you can refer to the United States as civilized. The Kardashians are on TV along with Honey Boo Boo.

Yeah I know this isn't PC and is barbaric however I have no time for killers and rapists. Just below child molesters.