Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Default Thoughts on Gibson SGs

So I'm thinking of getting a Gibson SG. What do you guys think of them ? I was considering maybe one of those road worn looking specials but not sure if they're not crappy, obviously they're not as nice as the normal ones with the nice fret inlays. Hoping some of you have some experience with them and can share some advice. Gracias.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've always hated the look of the SG. Every time I've played one, though, I've loved the feel and access to the upper frets. And of course they sound great.

Negatives: Gibson quality these days is so hit-or-miss. You really have to examine and play the guitar you want to buy first. And you're almost guaranteed to have to do a fret level six months to a year after you buy the thing. I've worked on a ton of Gibsons over the last few years. If they were built in the 21st Century, more often than not they've got some sort of neck twist/fret issue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I know I never did either but it's growing on me, I like it now. Thanks for the info.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have an SG Standard from 08. I dont like the look of the SG, but I love the feel. I like the thinner wider neck that it has compared to a Les Paul as well as the high fret access and the weight of it. With the new chambering of Les Paul's the SG sounds almost as full. I haven't had issues with it yet, only complaint is the 490 neck pickup is a bit muddy. But overall I love it and if I were to buy a stock off the shelf guitar today, I would likely make the same choice I did when I got it

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I'm the opposite- I love the look- especially Tony Iommi's 'Old Boy' Jaydee- but I have yet to play one that didn't have tuning issues- I hear that if you string it up with 10's it helps. That's just my experience- I've played and owned about 15 to 20 over the years.
    Speaking of Iommi, I recall he had tuning probs with the original 'Monkey' guitar too. I think they blamed the fact that the neck sits forward of the body too much.
    I had an old 70's model at one point wher the neck was set further back into the body but it didn't help.
    Higher fret access is great though-
    I'm pretty sure this is just my experience with them though- I mean Angus Young has used them since the early 70's and he's more famouser than I is!
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I actually just got an '08 worn cherry model (my brother gave it to me). He'd put the pickups in another guitar, so I bought a pair of Duncan Alnico 2/Slash's in there. I like the big wide neck and flat fingerboard. The body is pretty thin and light. To be honest I'm still trying to get a good sound dialed in. The neck p/u sounds great, but the bridge sounds pretty trebly and weak. I roll back the tone and it helps a bit, but still not what I was expecting. I don't know what the stock 490's sounded like, so I'm not sure if it's just the pickups or the guitar. To be fair, I've pretty much always been a Strat with humbuckers guy, so a Gibson feels pretty foriegn to me. The bridge sits a lot closer to the neck than I'm used to. Like a lot of guys, I was never a fan of the SG shape, but it's growing on me. It's interesting how the SG was originally the new Les Paul in the early '60's when they were discontinuing the original model.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I love the tone, and the neck is very easy to play. My problem with them is they are very neck heavy. I always find myself holding the neck up while playing. If you get strap that grabs onto your shirt, it's not as much of a problem. Just make sure you try it out in the store wearing the strap before you drop the coin.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Brett, I'd try before you buy. The faded series are a great valueif y ou want an SG. Howeve, ithe quality end and sound vary widely from Guitar to Guitar.

If you need binding and gloss paint go standard or custom. If you can live without those cosmetic features then the faded series work great. Also, look at the Angus Young series. Very nice, and price point is good too.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I've heard from like a million people you've definitely got to play the one you want first.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

Maybe I've only ever encountered cheap ones, but they were always top-heavy.
    Nothing more annoying as when the head is heavier than the body. Never really
    investigated, not a fan of the look. Angus is the only guy who can pull it off,
    maybe because it looks kinda devilish.

But that's the funny thing about taste/aesthetics. I used to hate Teles, but one is all I want now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    Brett, I'd try before you buy. The faded series are a great value if you want an SG. However, the quality and sound vary widely from Guitar to Guitar.

If you need binding and gloss paint go standard or custom. If you can live without those cosmetic features then the faded series work great. Also, look at the Angus Young series. Very nice, and price point is good too.
    I fixed the misspellings (stupid phone).

Many of the new studio SG's have the burstbucker pickups in them. I think they're a better overall pick up than the 490/498/500 series.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I've heard from like a million people you've definitely got to play the one you want first.
    You do for sure. SG's are real inconsistent. I have an 08 Cherry faded and love it. When I bought it from my friend, I just loved the way it played and felt, but it didn't start out that way. The neck went bad shortly after he bought it, so it needed some work done, but it's a dream now.
    I've never been real attracted to the SG look over the years either, but I gotta tell you, it's grown on me a bit. I did change the stock pickups though, it had the 490 in the bridge (I think), and it was a terrible sounding pickup in that guitar. Real buzzy and thin. It's got a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck, and a SD 59 in the bridge now, and it sounds amazingly full and round like any great Paul does.

The one constant with SG's is marginal tuning issues. It's slight, but because of where the neck joint is, you get a little issue with sharp/flat tuning if the guitar sits around, or goes from say a dry environment to a more humid one, or vice versa. On the thinner finish models, it can be a bit more pronounced because they use something like four to six coats of nitro to the usual eleven to thirteen.
    So there's a little more potential for moisture absorption/loss and movement. Proof of this is fret end stickout. One day you feel em, the next day you don't.
    It's really not a big deal though. It's a well known quirk of the guitar, and is present on almost all of them.
    Jerry Cantrell had Gibson make him a couple too, and he says the same thing. Great guitars, but the necks always move a bit, and you get sharp/flat notes.
    He records with them often though. I've been told that locking tuners can help a little, as can a bone nut replacing the stock material.
    I think the bone or Tusq nut may help a bit to alleviate snag which can make sharp or flat notes more pronounced until the string slips, but tuners, not to sure as it's actually the neck itself expanding and contracting. I suppose any added stability can be helpful.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.20.14 at 07:50 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I preferred the firebird and lp customs myself but I have a friend who would rather take a bullet than let his go. Sounds really good but something about the thinness of the shape bugs me. I like some meat if ya feel me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I preferred the firebird and lp customs myself but I have a friend who would rather take a bullet than let his go. Sounds really good but something about the thinness of the shape bugs me. I like some meat if ya feel me.
    Yeah, I get ya. For me the shape and thickness was quite a departure from an LP to get used to. You've got a lot more weight, the carved top and the way your arm rests over the guitar. The SG in comparison almost feels like balsa in weight contrast! The thickness and shape grew on me more lately though. I love the fret access, the tone, responsiveness, and sustain is great, and I'm just very comfortable with how it feels when I play it, either standing or sitting, it really is a great guitar to play.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I second the need to replace the nut, and possibly the tuners. The way that neck joins the body you will have small movement when temp/weather changes occur.

Lately, Gibson has, to me, been leaving their fretboard edges too square. It's almost a 90 degree break, making for sharp fretboard edges. I've had several, including my own, that have benifited from rolling of the fretboard edges. This along with a bone nut and upgraded tuners have really helped with the playability.

Just an issue I've encountered. Just left the Gibson Factory today in Memphis and most of the new guitars have these sharp edges.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair