Thread: Ray Danniels???

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will somebody please tell me where they got this info about Ray Danniels contract with VH? You know, the one where he gets a portion of everything Van Halen makes past, present, and future? I have never heard anything about this before officially? Since a lot of you are speculating that this is a reason for VH leaving WB, I'd like to know some background on this.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

from what I can tell, most of the information about Ray comes from that mysterious novel that Sammy was once said to be writing
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    Will somebody please tell me where they got this info about Ray Danniels contract with VH? You know, the one where he gets a portion of everything Van Halen makes past, present, and future? I have never heard anything about this before officially? Since a lot of you are speculating that this is a reason for VH leaving WB, I'd like to know some background on this.
    Sammy Hagar mentions this in his unpublished biography. Danniels reportedly threatened Hagar with a lawsuiit to keep it from publication, then Sammy turned around and sued the ghostwriter and publisher to keep it from the press. But a few chapters have been widely circulated.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have any portions of this "mysterious novel" been in print anywhere?
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool!! I'll be back....

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hagar says that when he read the agreement that had been drawn up, he couldn't believe the terms Al's brother-in-law had proposed. "I remember
    the son-of-a-bitch wanted to get paid for the rest of his life," said an utterly amazed Hagar, "and that was for every Van Halen record sold in the catalogue. Even if he got fired tomorrow, he wanted 20 percent of
    everything. And get this. He wanted 20 percent of gross, not net. When I saw what he was trying to do, I went to the brothers raising hell.
    They were willing to sign Ray's proposed deal the next day. I went to Ed and Al and said, 'Are you guys crazy?' You don't understand, I was the
    only guy fighting this. Michael Anthony didn't have a real vote per se, so his involvement was limited. He's not a full partner, just a salaried
    musician in the band. He was almost replaced on every record we did, but believe me, I fought for Mikey too."

Hagar refused to sign documents granting Ray Danniels any authority over his contributions to Van Halen since 1985. He thought the Canadian
    manager's demands were outrageous, considering he was stepping into a position that was already running smoothly, thanks to his predecessor.
    Because of his intense distrust of Danniels, Hagar wanted to implement a codicil into the manager's contract to insure a smooth transition, in case he was ousted from the band. The concept was called "the sunset clause," a prorated pay scale that would eventually phase him out five
    years after leaving the band, for whatever reason. The language Hagar worked out with attorney Don Engel stated that if Danniels was replaced, or left the band for any reason during the first year, he would be paid his previously agreed upon full percentage. The second year, he would get half of that. The third year Danniels would receive five percent, the fourth,one percent, and after five years, Van Halen was finished paying him. The idea came to Hagar from a conversation he had while touring with the legendary Joe Cocker, nearly twenty years earlier.

"When Ray Danniels initially proposed his contract terms, I thought of my conversation with Joe Cocker. There was no way I was going to let Ray tie up every guy in this band. He wanted to make money off the whole Van Halen catalog from the first David Lee Roth record until now. I fought him for a month. First thing, I wouldn't give him any of my percentage
    of 5150, OU812, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, and Live: Right Here, Right Now. I kept going to Eddie and Al saying, 'Come on you guys; think
    about this.' All they would say was, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever you say.' ...

Eddie and Al went ahead and gave Ray a large piece of their percentage of the old catalogue with Roth. They even gave him part of their percentage for the albums I was on. I refused to give him anything. I didn't need Ray Danniels
    breathing down my neck, sucking my dick, holding my hand and selling me out all in the same picture. You want me to tell you something else? Ray Danniels makes more money off the David Lee Roth era albums than Michael Anthony. How about that one? Ray Danniels makes more money than Michael Anthony period! It's sick, man. Ed and Al go along with it, because they
    make more themselves."

Hagar's rage at Danniels continued to bubble under the surface, as he saw the manager manipulate the Van Halens like puppets on a string. "I never signed a contract with him after I saw how he was doing things," he said
    defiantly. "This guy came in and immediately wanted twenty percent of everything. I said, 'You're walking into a band that's already making millions. You have the nerve to ask for more than the last guy made who did everything in the world for us! All you are going to be doing is making the same deals Ed Leffler already made with the promoters; the same deal with our record contract; and renewing the same publishing deal
    already in place. You think that since you're the manager, and you come in to answer the phone, that you should get twenty percent? I absolutely
    refuse to sign anything that gives you more than Ed Leffler made.'

Hagar ended up signing a deal with Danniels, recognizing him as the manager for only the upcoming Balance album and tour, nothing else.
    Sammy's contract called for Ray to make 17 percent of net, not gross,like he originally wanted. Eddie and Alex Van Halen gave him the same percentage across the board for everything.

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Who says musicians have brains? F.O.R.D. indeed!! Sounds like VH should have left Warner Brothers a long time ago. Mo Ostin is at Dreamworks now. Hmmm

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I wish there was a way to know how much of that is true, and how much is Hagar fantasy. )Or the fantasy of the author, for that matter.)

Maybe someday we will know.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy was absolutely right to stand up to this fuckwad, but that's exactly why Danniels forced him out, and also why the 96 reunion wasn't allowed to proceed. Because if Danniels couldn't control Hagar, he sure as Hell couldn't control Roth!
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    I wish there was a way to know how much of that is true, and how much is Hagar fantasy. )Or the fantasy of the author, for that matter.)

Maybe someday we will know.
    Come on Matt. You know how things work in a courtroom. Corroboration of evidence. Dave's story, Sammy's story, and Gary's story all support the fact that Ray Danniels was a manipulative asshole who bent the Van Halens to his will. And you also have the additional evidence of what happenned to Extreme and to Queensryche, after Danniels became their manager. Hell, he's probably responsible for Rush losing their original drummer, though I think I can forgive him for that one
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[quote]Originally posted by FORD:
    Come on Matt. You know how things work in a courtroom. Corroboration of evidence. Dave's story, Sammy's story, and Gary's story all support the fact that Ray Danniels was a manipulative asshole who bent the Van Halens to his will. And you also have the additional evidence of what happenned to Extreme and to Queensryche, after Danniels became their manager. Hell, he's probably responsible for Rush losing their original drummer, though I think I can forgive him for that one
    There's no way I'm debating you on this issue, Dave. Your mind is made up. All I'm saying is that someday, I'd be interested to hear the stories of ALL parties, including Danniels himself.

P.S. When has Gary commented about Danniels? I must have missed that one.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The biggest mistake that EVH and Alex ever made was letting this fuck head enter the equation. If what Sammy says is indeed true right down to the last nickel I can't believe that Edward and Alex would go along with it. Why couldn't they see through all the BS this guy was spouting. Van Halen was a well oiled machine that cranked out successful product after successful product. Ray the jerk Danniels enters the picture and it all goes to hell in a hand basket. Fuck, Ed and Sam were such good friends and he took the side of a scum bag over his frontman-makes no fuckin sense to me.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:

P.S. When has Gary commented about Danniels? I must have missed that one.
    Gary hasn't said anything about Danniels since VDIII split. It's what he said in February of 1998 that went against the official party line of what Eddie and Danniels were saying.

The article was published in a Japanese magazine called BURRN and was reproduced on several websites including Brad's. You might want to ask him if he still has a copy of it, since mine was lost long ago after a nasty virus.

Anyway, Cherone said that it was May of 1996 when Danniels himself offered the VH position to him. He flew out in early June and immediately began working with Eddie. This would have been beforeSammy was fired, and probably around the same time that they were working with Dave as well. Don't even ask me where they had the time to get Mitch Malloy in the studio.

Gary said that he confronted Danniels with his concerns about the band reuniting with Dave. Danniels told him "Don't worry, it's just a one shot thing, YOU are the singer"

This revelation from Gary totally blows away Ed's lie that they never met until after the MTV Awards. It also proves that it was Danniels who hired Cherone, after forcing Extreme's breakup.

Actually, I always wondered what kind of an album would result from Sammy Hagar, Nuno, and Chris De Garmo writing together. Hell, I think I would even give them permission to use my name as the album title.... FUCK OFF RAY DANNIELS!!!
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Mario VH:
    Fuck, Ed and Sam were such good friends and he took the side of a scum bag over his frontman-makes no fuckin sense to me.
    That's what manipulation does. You would be surprise what people will walk away from, and disgusted by what they will walk to, when they don't realize their minds are being twisted. I've seen it happen more than once and it's never pretty
    Eat Us And Smile