Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Eddie should acknowledge the Sammy era......

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but will the sky fall down the day Eddie acknowledges the Sammy years again. Is it just me but it seems like magazine interviewers are told before-hand not to bring up Sammy or Mike. I know theres been limited interviews with Eddie since '04 but in every one theres not a mention of those years at all. I know things are bitter between them, but they were bitter with Dave for years too, but always talked about the original 6 pack. "5150", "OU812", "F.U.C.K" and "Balance" just seem to be forgotten by this band. We will never get a standard remastered release of those albums (only the japan remasters exist) , and seems the whole Sammy era has just been erased. Very sad, considering (my opinion only) were the best VH years.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 7,881 Times in 4,607 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think in some ways, Ed and Al dealt with/wrapped up that period of VH history in 2004. That just seems like the end of the Hagar-era, and I would be shocked if any of the music from that era is ever revisited again, or if the former personnel are ever spoken of ever again. We'll never hear Ed or Al talk about being in the HoF, either.

This is partly because there is so much negativity associated with the way things ended with that era, and Ed probably doesn't want to deal with any of the negativity. And I think a lot of it also has to do with Wolf....if Wolf had grown up telling his dad how much he loved the Hagar-era music, and if Wolf today started pushing Ed to acknowledge or revisit any of the music, then things may be different. But it doesn't appear that Wolf is into the Hagar stuff, and since Wolf seems to have a rather large influence over his dad and the direction of VH going forward, Wolf to me is a big factor in the whole thing.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ed never speaks to Sam or Mike ever again. I think the whole era is just over and done, because the conversations that would have to take place in order to dust off the Hagar music will probably never happen.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:20 PM
    Liked 462 Times in 214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    Very sad, considering (my opinion only) were the best VH years.
    When historians talk a hundred years from now about what made Van Halen legendary, they will press play on some device and you can bet it won't ever be a Van Hagar song being played back to make the point. It was the Roth era stuff that made VH legends.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:16 AM
    Liked 7,881 Times in 4,607 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    But it doesn't appear that Wolf is into the Hagar stuff, and since Wolf seems to have a rather large influence over his dad and the direction of VH going forward, Wolf to me is a big factor in the whole thing.
    Then imo, WVH isn't a fan of "Van Halen" the band...come to think of it, I don't think Ed is either, as fans of VHIII get the shaft as well.

He can certainly have a preference but what's going on here with VH4, is just so disingenuous and frankly stupid. Forget talking about Sam / Mike in an interview, if Eddie is too much of a pussy, because he can let the music of that era speak on his behalf. That is the best way to mend fences and one or two songs thrown in the set isn't going to take anything away from the VH live experience but will only make it that much better imo. Deep cuts have been played live, so that isn't an excuse anymore and not wanting to hear DLR try and sing Hagar because he "couldn't pull it off" also is an excuse as I didn't really want to hear RWTD or YRGM at a Sam show but they did anyway because the fans EXPECTED it. I'm sure there are a legion of us who expect to hear the guy, responsible for creating the music, to...I don't know...actually play it every now and then, for us. Silly, I know.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

I think Ed should honor my request for vintage concert footage too, but hey, we don't always get what we want do we?

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

van halen became legends with Dave in the band. they maintained and even expanded their legend when they continued to have success with Sam in the band. No band has ever replaced a singer (excluding ac/dc cause Bon Scott had died) and had the success vh had with Sam. Now maybe you can nitpic that last statement and say bands maintained their status in a couple of cases but on a commercial level VH was pretty much one of the biggest bands in the world when Sam was there (only aerosmith and metallica came close as far as rock bands are concerned-I'm not talking about grunge bands that exploded in the early 90's)

I don't think ed with really go out of his way to talk abut that era until this run with Dave is over which is kind of a shame but it is what it is.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Then imo, WVH isn't a fan of "Van Halen" the band...come to think of it,

I don't think Ed is either, as fans of VHIII get the shaft as well.
    As well they should because that album SUCKED.

Forget talking about Sam / Mike in an interview, if Eddie is too much of a pussy, because he can let the music of that era speak on his behalf. That is the best way to mend fences and one or two songs thrown in the set isn't going to take anything away from the VH live experience but will only make it that much better imo.
    Ever think that maybe Ed just doesn't want to mend fences with Sam? That goes for Wolf too. I know he can't be too thrilled with Sam's description of him in his book. As far as the music goes, it seems the "Sam era" isn't what he wants to play.

I'm sure there are a legion of us who expect to hear the guy, responsible for creating the music, to...I don't know...actually play it every now and then, for us. Silly, I know.

Yeah, fans of the classic era said the same thing for 12 years.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    van halen became legends with Dave in the band. they maintained and even expanded their legend when they continued to have success with Sam in the band. No band has ever replaced a singer (excluding ac/dc cause Bon Scott had died) and had the success vh had with Sam. Now maybe you can nitpic that last statement and say bands maintained their status in a couple of cases but on a commercial level VH was pretty much one of the biggest bands in the world when Sam was there (only aerosmith and metallica came close as far as rock bands are concerned-I'm not talking about grunge bands that exploded in the early 90's)

I don't think ed with really go out of his way to talk abut that era until this run with Dave is over which is kind of a shame but it is what it is.
    Long-winded, but I have two theories as to why Ed will never work with, nor acknowledge the Hagar era ever again. Here they are:

Theory 1: Van Halen certainly expanded their fan base with Sam in the band, and continued on. 5150 was a great record, sales were huge, continuing the trend that began with "1984". But throughout the whole Hagar era, the ghost of Classic Van Halen was always near. And the press used that bar to judge the band and its new music. I'm pretty sure that most critics (love em or hate em) judged the Hagar era Van Halen in comparison to the Classic Van Halen era, for good or for bad. And, for as slick and polished that the Hagar era Van Halen was, truthfully, Ed's time as an guitar innovator were mostly gone. He knew it was coming too, even as far back as "1984", and started working more on song craft. Sure, he had the trans trem, etc... but his playing started to take a back seat. Its apparent that he wanted more sophisticated arrangements, different instrumentation, a more versatile vocalist, etc... and that's what he got. But it didn't get him a significant amount of critical acclaim or sales compared to the earlier work, at least from within the "1984/5150" timeframe. No band lasts forever, and Van Halen had their heyday, which to me was 1978 - 1986. This includes Hagar on 5150. By the time 1987 rolled around, Whitesnake hit it big, and another "more dangerous" band - GNR - exploded on the scene. The tide had changed. Ed knew this, so as stated before, he worked on songcraft and tried to distance himself and the band from what they had been to what they became - more song oriented. And, going into the grunge era, they survived, but they were not the focus of the music community they once were.

BTW - I think this would have happened no matter who the singer was.

Theory 2: Sammy Hagar is nothing if not ambitious and business savvy, and he had his eyes on the money and business opportunities from the very beginning. Nothing wrong with that, and as reported, he did the Van Halen brothers a favor by getting them a better record deal where they earned more money, But something happened, maybe nothing specific (unless were discussing the Cabo Wabo Cantina deal) but perhaps a pattern of behavior, that the brothers were not comfortable with. Ed is very sensitive to anyone taking advantage of him, while not accusing Hagar of doing anything, my guess is a pattern developed in Ed's eyes of being taken advantage of, and once that set in, a rift began to develop that festered. Jealousies ensued, and soon Ed had a "with us or against us" mentality. From there he started to look for reasons to hate Hagar.

Enter Mike. He was in a tough spot. Ed and Al were his employer, but Sam was his friend. And Sam was on the outs. When Mike started playing out with Sam, that put Mike outside the "Circle of Trust" of which he was really never a part of anyway. I don't blame him for doing what he did - who wants to be around a couple of assholes who don't appreciate your contributions, and have been looking to replace you at various times in the band's history, for no real good reason? He was a big part of the band sound, image and success. But in the brother's eyes, Mike is dead.

Dave and Ed had their own internal hatreds, but they enjoyed their most critical successes together. They grew the band together - and ultimately they both found that each needed one another to rescue the legacy of the band and their own reputations. And for a big an egomaniac that Dave was/is, I doubt that he ever gave Ed the impression that he fucked him out of money or tried to take advantage of him (once again, speculation). I'm sure that given a choice, Ed would never work with Dave or Sam again, but in the end, Dave was the lesser of evils. And, he was the "ace in the hole" card that the band held onto until the last possible minute - about 10 years too late in my opinion. So it happened, but with a condition - that Wolf be a part of the band. Period. And we all know what era Wolf prefers. And his opinion means the world to his dad.

Fans and historians (and maybe Wolf, after his dad is gone) are going to have to be the ones to resurrect and keep Van Halen Mach 2 alive, because Ed has written off the whole thing. He'll still take the money from song sales of the era, thank you very much, but he is not going to do anything to promote it or try to resurrect it. If he liked the era that much himself, he'd do more. But his inaction (and even lack of acknowledgement) is very telling.
    Last edited by Rokgtar; 01.12.14 at 07:19 AM.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Sam worked with what Ed gave him to work with. Ed was responsible for the direction the band started to take with 5150, now maybe he felt more comfortable with that type of music cause of Sam and that's why OU812 has keyboards as well but once Ed got that out of his system so to speak the keys went away. FUCK is a great no holds barred rock record as is balance but they are totally different than what 5150 was at least IMO. keys started to go away after OU812 and they might have gone away all together in a few records had sam stayed around......

anyway, Ed should acknowledge that era but he won't. that's just how vh is.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

Never say never with VH. I have said for many years that Ed will take it full circle eventually and do a tour with Dave and Sam.You just never know with VH !!
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

I don't think he pretends that era never happened. He acknowledges it, when asked:

ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?
    http://www.esquire.com/the-side/musi...w-2012-8147775

What he doesn't do is take the bait and bitch about him, like Sammy seems to do with regularity. Eddie seems to have finally gotten to the point of either saying something nice (if broad and perfunctory), or passing on the question entirely, when asked about the Sammy era.

I dunno, seems to me like since there's obviously no love lost there, Eddie's taking the high road and finally acting like a grown-up.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I think in some ways, Ed and Al dealt with/wrapped up that period of VH history in 2004. That just seems like the end of the Hagar-era, and I would be shocked if any of the music from that era is ever revisited again, or if the former personnel are ever spoken of ever again. We'll never hear Ed or Al talk about being in the HoF, either.

This is partly because there is so much negativity associated with the way things ended with that era, and Ed probably doesn't want to deal with any of the negativity. And I think a lot of it also has to do with Wolf....if Wolf had grown up telling his dad how much he loved the Hagar-era music, and if Wolf today started pushing Ed to acknowledge or revisit any of the music, then things may be different. But it doesn't appear that Wolf is into the Hagar stuff, and since Wolf seems to have a rather large influence over his dad and the direction of VH going forward, Wolf to me is a big factor in the whole thing.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ed never speaks to Sam or Mike ever again. I think the whole era is just over and done, because the conversations that would have to take place in order to dust off the Hagar music will probably never happen.
    not true that Wolf doesn't care for the Hagar stuff. on twitter he was asked months ago about if he liked the Hagar era records and what songs in particular. he answered yes and singled out Amsterdam as one of his favorite songs guitar wise that his dad ever wrote and the entire balance album and 5150 as his favorites. also FUCK because his song is on it.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Then imo, WVH isn't a fan of "Van Halen" the band...come to think of it, I don't think Ed is either, as fans of VHIII get the shaft as well.

He can certainly have a preference but what's going on here with VH4, is just so disingenuous and frankly stupid. Forget talking about Sam / Mike in an interview, if Eddie is too much of a pussy, because he can let the music of that era speak on his behalf. That is the best way to mend fences and one or two songs thrown in the set isn't going to take anything away from the VH live experience but will only make it that much better imo. Deep cuts have been played live, so that isn't an excuse anymore and not wanting to hear DLR try and sing Hagar because he "couldn't pull it off" also is an excuse as I didn't really want to hear RWTD or YRGM at a Sam show but they did anyway because the fans EXPECTED it. I'm sure there are a legion of us who expect to hear the guy, responsible for creating the music, to...I don't know...actually play it every now and then, for us. Silly, I know.
    So, having three fourths of the original lineup together, with both original songwriters in the band is disingenuous, but having three fourths of the original lineup and only one of the original songwriters in it is fine?

That doesn't make any sense to me.

99.99% of Van Halen fans do NOT want to hear David Lee Roth sing Sam penned songs. The majority of fans on this site bitch about how Sam sang DLR songs, imagine the fucking whine-ado on here if DLR sang Finish What Ya Started and Humans Being live. The Sam era fans would bitch about how DLR butchered them, the DLR era fans would complain that they could have played any number of deep cuts instead of two Hagar penned songs, and the rest of us would just log out and go watch Breaking Bad re-runs, causing Brett to lose click ad income. Everyone loses.

They are selling out arenas and had a #2 Billboard album on their last release, I think they probably think that what they are doing is just fine.

Van Halen is not alone in this. If you are going to the Sabbath shows and expecting to hear "Neon Knights" or "Headless Cross", you are going to be leaving disappointed.

Van Halen, with just DLR's material, has maybe what, forty to fifty songs to choose from that are still being played on classic rock radio. They don't NEED to go to the Hagar material, as they can fill a two hour show with well known fan favorite classic rock songs without doing so. Almost everyone in the building would rather hear Panama sung by DLR than WCTBL sung by DLR.

And NOBODY is going to a Van Halen show wanting to hear "Once" or "Ballet and the Bullet".

I just don't understand why people get so upset about it. There are certain perks to being an original member of the band, and part of it is that you don't have to sing the other guys songs.

Also, Ed did address it in an interview, albeit briefly. He said those songs "were off to college", and they might come home sometime, but not now.

DLR doesn't want to sing them, Ed probably doesn't want to put any money into Sam's pocket by playing them. It is what it is, after a decade plus of acrimony between Ed and Sam and Mike, and TWO decades of hatred between DLR and Ed, this is about the best we can hope for.

A functioning, recording and touring Van Halen with DLR and Ed in it, and great band like Chickenfoot with Sam and Mike in it. Hell, Sam and Mike don't even touch the Van Hagar years live anymore, they know it is just fucking toxic to play, on a multitude of levels.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!