Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Default 11-year-old plays Eruption/You Really Got Me with Steel Panther

11-year-old Aidan Fisher not only challenged a heavy metal band's guitarist to a duel, but he won! Fisher went to a recent Steel Panther concert in Kansas City and brought with him a sign that read, "I challenge Satchel to a guitar solo." Little did Fisher know that the LA band, known for their humorous lyrics and exaggerated heavy metal personas, would bring him on stage.

Fisher proceeded to wow the band and the crowd with his incredible solos of Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me." PS NSFW.

Last edited by 5150; 01.10.14 at 07:55 PM.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 10,887 Times in 5,729 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    11-year-old Aidan Fisher not only challenged a heavy metal band's guitarist to a duel, but he won! Fisher went to a recent Steel Panther concert in Kansas City and brought with him a sign that read, "I challenge Satchel to a guitar solo." Little did Fisher know that the LA band, known for their humorous lyrics and exaggerated heavy metal personas, would bring him on stage.

Fisher proceeded to wow the band and the crowd with his incredible solos of Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me." PS NSFW.

Ah yes, another "prodigy."

I'm sorry, it was okay, but as is the case with the rest of these "child stars" the only noteworthy thing about it is that he's 11.

Frankly, he did not play it all that well, and to read comments about how he plays "just like Eddie" is a joke and is insulting as well.

I would assume that those making comments like that are not musicians, because if they were, they would hear the obvious mistakes, lack of feel, and overall sterile nature of the performance.

I'm not trying to slam the kid, I guess I'm just disappointed because every time I see a link proclaiming how great this kid or that kid can play guitar I'm expecting more than what I get.

I hope he keeps playing and improving. He's off to a good start, but he's got a long way to go too. I've been playing for 21 years and am still learning and refining things, even when I play Eruption, which I've basically been playing (or trying to) since I bought my first guitar. That's the beauty of playing an instrument - there's always room for improvement and refinement in technique.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

I guess I'm a hater....it wasn't great. He's 11 and he plays like it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I never even read YouTube comments, they're always full of the lowest filth on the planet.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 7,883 Times in 4,609 Posts

Premium Member

I'm not a player but it seems to me that kids who play, want to focus on wowing people on YouTube with soloing. I want to see one of these "prodigies" play rhythm like Ed. Master the fundamentals and then your soloing will come...I think.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

He's seems good at copying, which is what just about everyone does when they are learning anything. He didn't know what to do when the singer tried to do some spontaneous call/response with him.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Singer is Ralph Saenz, old Atomic Punks singer fyi.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I'm not a player but it seems to me that kids who play, want to focus on wowing people on YouTube with soloing. I want to see one of these "prodigies" play rhythm like Ed. Master the fundamentals and then your soloing will come...I think.
    Yes sir. And if he doesn't master or work on the fundamentals, he won't get much better.

And he ought to learn to play some blues because it really is foundational. Ed started with Clapton and branched out from there. I went through a long SRV phase and it actually made my playing much better because it wasn't all about trying to impress people with flashy licks and fast playing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I guess I'm a hater....it wasn't great. He's 11 and he plays like it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I never even read YouTube comments, they're always full of the lowest filth on the planet.
    No, you heard what I hear. Like you said, he plays as expected, and if he wants to get better he needs to have someone in his ear like you or I who can let him know that he's got a lot of woodshedding to go if he wants to be a good player.

What he doesn't need is a bunch of people telling him how great he is because he can play a bunch of notes fast and 'sound' like he's playing correctly.

He also needs to learn that feel comes from playing from the heart and not necessarily playing everything note for note as it is on the record. That's great and all, but it leads to lifelessness and soulless playing. Even Ed doesn't play his own stuff verbatim.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

And what is this he won a guitar duel against Russ Parrish (Satchel)? Yeah oooooooook. Russ is a brilliant player, he's not losing a "duel" to an 11-year old kid who plays like that. Yes it's nice the kid plays, but geez enough with making these kids out to be better than they are. It's a disservice to them and just weird.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    And what is this he won a guitar duel against Russ Parrish (Satchel)? Yeah oooooooook. Russ is a brilliant player, he's not losing a "duel" to an 11-year old kid who plays like that. Yes it's nice the kid plays, but geez enough with making these kids out to be better than they are. It's a disservice to them and just weird.
    I think it's jut the author being nice, because he did no such thing. Frankly, that's the only reason I even clicked on it because I know Russ is a good player and I thought this kid had to be good to be able to hang with him.

He's got some more vids on youtube. His first Eruption attempt is terrible, so I'll give him credit that he's improved. But when you're not very good, even if you're 11, why post that stuff for the world to see?

I've got an old vid of the first show I ever played and of course I played Eruption. It's horrible. Granted, I had only been playing for 6 months or so, but still, it's not very good. I'm certainly not going to upload it for people to see, and if we had the technology to do that back when it was filmed I wouldn't have then either. It's a nice thing to have to look back on from my younger years when I was first starting out and to see how much I've progressed as a player, but it really isn't something that needs to be or should be shared with others. I don't understand the need for others to do that either.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 7,883 Times in 4,609 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    It's a nice thing to have to look back on from my younger years when I was first starting out and to see how much I've progressed as a player, but it really isn't something that needs to be or should be shared with others. I don't understand the need for others to do that either.
    Technology has turned the younger generation into egomaniacs. They want to share with the world, things that maybe shouldn't be shared. Add to that, society and parents thinking that their kids are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I understand being proud of one's children but I really think kids aren't being told they suck, enough. It can be done in a loving, respectful, way without hurting their feelings but this "everybody's a winner and there are no losers" mentality is breeding a lot of mediocrity.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Technology has turned the younger generation into egomaniacs. They want to share with the world, things that maybe shouldn't be shared. Add to that, society and parents thinking that their kids are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I understand being proud of one's children but I really think kids aren't being told they suck, enough. It can be done in a loving, respectful, way without hurting their feelings but this "everybody's a winner and there are no losers" mentality is breeding a lot of mediocrity.
    Well said. I coached high school cross country for a couple of years recently and the nonsense that went on about trying to make every kid feel good was ridiculous. I'm sorry, I'm not going to tell a kid that ran a 30 minute 5K that he's good. I'm not going to be an ass about it, but I'm not going to lie to him and tell him that he's going to be the next Mo Farrah or Galen Rupp either.

If my kid decides he wants to play guitar I'm going to be honest with him about his capabilities. If he's good, I'll tell him, and if he's not, I'll tell him he needs to work more. And you know what? All the practice in the world isn't going to make someone the next Eddie Van Halen. At some point, either you have "it" or you don't. I don't, which is why I can produce a reasonable facsimile of his playing but it will never be as good. That's just the way it goes.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:01 AM
    Liked 16,546 Times in 9,380 Posts

Only the mediocre are always at their best.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Lots of f bombs around an 11 yr old pretty low class. I always like to see these kids play but it seems now with you tube its getting run of the mill.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Lots of f bombs around an 11 yr old pretty low class.
    Agreed.