Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 10:20 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 88 Posts

Default VAN HALEN: '1984' 30th Anniversary Celebrated On 'In The Studio' (Audio Read more at

"I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

06.07.16 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

..When was this recorded..sounds like the band members voices from 20 years ago ?..
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ? stare at an album
    Cover that long..

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.27.16 @ 02:04 AM
    Liked 6,048 Times in 3,287 Posts

Premium Member

Eddie Van Halen recalls the reasons why he decided to build his 5150 Studio ahead of the band recording their classic album 1984.

Part of it was to prevent arguments with then-wife actress Valerie Bertinelli, but another was that he was a self admitted control-freak who had a desire to stop “butting heads” with producer Ted Templeman.

Van Halen admits the resulting premises were far more extensive that he’d originally planned.

He tells Guitar World, “I used to have a back room in my house where I set up a little four-track recorder. I have a tape of me playing at 5am and you can hear Valerie come in and yell that she’s heard enough of that song.”

He continues, “The bottom line is that I wanted more control. I was always butting heads with Ted Templeman about what makes a good record. My philosophy has always been that I would rather bomb with my own music than make it with other people’s music. Ted felt that if you re-do a proven hit, you’re already halfway there. I didn’t want to be halfway there with someone else’s stuff.”

Eddie’s continued debate with Templeman is one of the reasons 5150 didn’t remain simply a demo studio. “I wanted to show Ted we could make a great record without any cover tunes and do it our way,” he says.

“Donn Landee and I proceeded to figure out how to build a recording studio. I didn’t initially set out to build a full-blown studio, I just wanted a better place to put my music together so I could show it to the guys. I never imagined that it would turn into what it did until we started building it.”

1984 – released 30 years ago this week – remains Van Halen’s best-selling album. It spawned the hit singles Jump, Hot For Teacher, Panama and I’ll Wait, and sales hit 12-times platinum in the US alone.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
    Last Online

10.02.14 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought the lp in the first few days of it's release, if not the very first day! I was also busy getting tickets for the Charlotte show in early Feb.
    Charlotte 1982
    Charlotte 1984
    Greensboro 1986
    Charlotte 1988