Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Which Religions Produce More Successful People? Tiger Mom Is Back With a Theory

Tiger Mom Amy Chua, a Yale professor who raised eyebrows in 2011 with claims that Chinese moms have more successful kids and are better parents, is back with a controversial new book that explains why she believes some religions and races are more successful in America than their fellow cohorts.

In The Triple Package, Chua and her co-author Jed Rubenfeld, her husband, argue that some groups in America do better than others, basing the results on income, test scores and other metrics.

Of those groups, the duo cites two religious groups: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Jewish faith. Chua and Rubenfeld apparently found these groups to be superior to Protestants, Catholics, atheists, Buddhists and Muslims, The New York Post reported.

On the race front, they argue that Indians, Chinese, Iranians, Lebanese-Americans, Nigerians and Cuban exiles have also achieved a higher level of success in America. Chua, who is Chinese, and Rubenfeld, who is Jewish, belong to two of the eight most successful groups, the Post noted.

So why do some groups rise according to them?

Chua and Rubenfeld argue that some groups simply have a cultural edge that better allows them to take advantage of opportunities. Breaking down the triple package (hence the name of the book), the authors move point by point in explaining how Mormons, Jews and the aforementioned race groups differ from the general American culture.

A superiority complex, insecurity, impulse control these are the elements of the Triple Package, the rare and potent cultural constellation that drives disproportionate group success, reads a description of the book. The Triple Package is open to anyone. America itself was once a Triple Package culture. Its been losing that edge for a long time now.

First and foremost, Chua and Rubenfeld believe that Americans are taught that no group is superior to another and that everyone is equal. In contrast, they say, the most successful religious and race groups see themselves as exceptional or even chosen.

This, of course, is the superiority factor and it apparently goes a long way toward success in life.

Then theres insecurity. The authors contend that in the most successful religious and racial groups people tend to feel insecure, inadequate, that they have to prove themselves. This can purportedly drive members of these groups to seek success.

And last, theres impulse control, or the ability to profoundly exert control over oneself. While the authors believe that America touts immediate gratification, the most successful groups have what they say is a higher level of self-discipline and control.

Impulse control refers to the ability to resist temptation, especially the temptation to give up in the face of hardship or quit instead of persevering at a difficult task, the authors write in The Triple Package.

Based on excerpts published by The Daily Mail, Chua and Rubenfeld note that the three elements presented run counter to contemporary American culture, which is why the groups that they deem the most successful are generally cultural outsiders.

Paradoxically, in modern America, a group has an edge if it doesnt buy into or hasnt yet bought into mainstream, post-1960s, liberal American principles, they continue.

While these elements are purportedly the recipe for success, according to the books description, there are also some negatives that accompany each of the three elements that the authors claim can have toxic effects.

These theories are all very controversial, of course, which is something that Chua and Rubenfeld readily admit.

That certain groups do much better in America than others as measured by income, occupational status, test scores and so on is difficult to talk about, they note in the book. In large part, this is because the topic feels so racially charged.

The book is already sparking controversy from critics who believe it encourages racism.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...with-a-theory/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ps-people.html

http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/tiger-m...r-than-others/
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 6,666 Times in 3,694 Posts

i wonder what the divorce rate is in those communities. Low divorce rate + stressing eduction keeps you a pretty good chance at future success in my book. I think we compicate matters if we look too far beyond that. Kids need stability and guidance to succeed. This shouldn't be a newsflash and sure as hell shouldn't be controversial.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    "And last, theres impulse control, or the ability to profoundly exert control over oneself. While the authors believe that America touts immediate gratification, the most successful groups have what they say is a higher level of self-discipline and control.

Impulse control refers to the ability to resist temptation, especially the temptation to give up in the face of hardship or quit instead of persevering at a difficult task, the authors write in The Triple Package.
    The first part is dangerous (I think the Nazis had that superiority thing going for them - how did that work out?), the second part I don't know, but the third part, yeah, I think that's a factor. Too many of today's kids have too much handed to them and grow accustomed to that, so when the sledding gets even a wee bit tough, they give up rather easily.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

I've read her first book. She does a really good job at selecting shocking headlines, stacking up all the controversial elements in the first few chapters, in order to get a lot of buzz. But if you read the WHOLE book, from beginning to end, it's not as "out there" as it seems. The second half of the book includes a lot of caveats and elements to moderate her initial thesis - I bet it's the same for her second book.

Key point is today's world: get people talking about you. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, anything is helpful in this constant fight to not be ignored.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 18,050 Times in 8,921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i wonder what the divorce rate is in those communities. Low divorce rate + stressing eduction keeps you a pretty good chance at future success in my book. I think we compicate matters if we look too far beyond that. Kids need stability and guidance to succeed. This shouldn't be a newsflash and sure as hell shouldn't be controversial.
    Bingo.

A solid family unit that stresses morality and education.

Shocker I tell you that they do better than single parent households with no rules and few expectations.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 16,465 Times in 9,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I've read her first book. She does a really good job at selecting shocking headlines, stacking up all the controversial elements in the first few chapters, in order to get a lot of buzz. But if you read the WHOLE book, from beginning to end, it's not as "out there" as it seems. The second half of the book includes a lot of caveats and elements to moderate her initial thesis - I bet it's the same for her second book.

Key point is today's world: get people talking about you. Doesn't matter if it's good or bad, anything is helpful in this constant fight to not be ignored.
    Just ask Miley Cyrus and Dennis Rodman.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"