VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Phil Everly: 1939-2014

Singer Phil Everly -- half of legendary Everly Brothers -- dies

(CNN) -- Singer Phil Everly -- one half of the groundbreaking, smooth-sounding, record-setting duo, the Everly Brothers -- has died, a hospital spokeswoman said.

He was 74.

Patricia Aidem, a spokeswoman at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, confirmed Everly's death on Friday, but could not provide additional details, citing the family's request.

During the late 1950s and early 1960s, Phil Everly and his brother, Don, ranked among the elite in the music world by virtue of their pitch-perfect harmonies and emotive lyrics.

Rolling Stone labeled the Everly Brothers "the most important vocal duo in rock," having influenced the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel and many other acts.

Along the way, they notched 35 Top 100 songs -- more than any other vocal pair.

The Everly Brothers' sound -- with Don's lower register generally ringing in perfect thirds with Phil's higher voice -- was the backbone of dozens of hits.

The two began as songwriters before signing a deal in 1957 with Cadence Records. They became international sensations over the next five years with tunes such as "Bye Bye Love," "Wake Up Little Susie," "When Will I Be Loved" and "All I Have to Do Is Dream." In terms of record sales, their chief rivals during this stretch were Elvis Presley and Pat Boone.

Their style -- a product of their blend of rock 'n' roll with Appalachian folk, bluegrass and other genres more closely aligned to their Kentucky roots -- helped them earn inductions in both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame.

"The amount of music that can be directly traced to the Everly Brothers is incredible," wrote one admirer on Twitter. "Thanks, Phil...and 'Bye Bye.'"

The brothers were born in the business, the offspring of country and western singers Margaret and Ike Everly.

The Everlys sang with their parents in live shows and on the radio. In the mid-'50s, while still teenagers, they moved to Nashville to be songwriters. In 1957, they found a Felice and Boudleaux Bryant song, "Bye Bye Love."

According to "The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll," 30 acts had rejected the song, but the Everlys -- with the key guitar contributions of Chet Atkins, who played on many of their hits -- took the song to No. 2 on the pop charts.

"They added Bo Diddley riffs, teenage anxieties and sharkskin suits but -- for all that -- the core of their sound remained country brother harmony," read their bio on the Country Music Hall of Fame's website.

After averaging a Top 10 hit every four months over the next few years, the Everly Brothers inked a 10-year pact with Warner Brothers (which now is part of Time Warner, like CNN) in 1960. More success followed -- including "Cathy's Clown," which the duo wrote -- and they stayed particularly popular in Britain.

"Bye Bye Love" was "the first thing that really killed me," Paul Simon once recalled. He called Art Garfunkel immediately upon hearing the song, according to a Simon biography, and the two set to work on their own act.

The Everlys also served to bond the nascent Beatles.

Upon hearing "All I Have to Do Is Dream" in 1958, the young group -- which had just added George Harrison to a lineup that included John Lennon and Paul McCartney -- couldn't wait to cover it.

"When we first heard it, it blew us away," McCartney said in Mark Lewisohn's new Beatles biography, "Tune In."

By the 1970s, the pair was performing in a band that also included legends Warren Zevon and Waddy Wachtel. But their time together came to a sudden end in 1973, when Phil stormed off the stage during a show in California.

The brothers reunited on stage and in the studio 10 years later, leading to more albums, including "EB 84" (including the McCartney-written "On the Wings of a Nightingale") and "Born Yesterday."

Their remaining years were highlights by occasional shows, hall of fame inductions and various other honors, including a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

If any of you want to treat yourself to some great Everly Brothers music and the roots of rock and roll and good country, turn off the crap you're listening to and purchase:
    1. The Everly Brothers' Best
    2. Walk Right Back: The Everly Brothers on Warner Bros ('60-'69)
    They had some great hits in the late 50's - that's what they're most known for - but there are so many gems on their 60's albums and singles that deserved so much more success than they actually had.

------- ------- -------

My parents had two Everly Brothers albums: both of them were hits collections. One was a record, and the other was an 8-track. They were nearly identical with the exception of track order and one song. It was really good stuff.

My friend TC had a dad who played guitar and really loved the Beatles and the Everly Brothers. He was always in a band or two, playing covers on a Friday and Saturday night. He knew I loved music, and one time while I was waiting for TC to finish up his chores, his dad starts talking about the Everlys and the Beatles. He points out to me that the Beatles were influenced by the Everly Brothers, but in the 60's - when the Everly Brothers weren't as popular anymore - the Everly Brothers became somewhat influenced by the Beatles. Then he plays and sings this song called "Empty Boxes", which at the time reminded me of the Beatle's "Blackbird". It was touching with just one voice and his Gibson acoustic, but it didn't really affect me. I was probably about 10.

By the time I was a teenager, I had relegated the Everlys to the same "bin" as the Beach Boys: prime purveyors of wimp rock. When I was about 16 or so, I was given a crate of vinyl and a case of about 40 singles by one of my friends: her father passed away and she knew that I really liked music. There was some sweet stuff in this crate (the first three Sabbath albums in PERFECT CONDITION!), to include four or five Everly Brothers records from the 60's...stuff I'd never even knew existed. I looked for that damn "Empty Boxes" song and didn't find it. Found it on the b-side of a single, though, and I played the crap out of that song. It was different now: I liked it a lot more now and could appreciate it. So sad. I was addicted to that one song.

Turns out there were about 10 EB singles, too, with all of them being from the 60's. They were great songs, but the B-sides were the best: "Lord Of The Manor", "I Wonder If She Cares As Much"...fantastic stuff. There's a melancholia in their music that I could relate to. "Sleepless Nights" just hits me like a vivid, sad memory...I've been there. "You're My Girl"...such swagger! "Love Hurts"...sure, it's "square" compared to Nazareth's version, but this is the original and it just kills.

I was happy for them when they got their Lifetime Achievement Grammy. They deserved it. So many good songs, and their genetically-linked harmonies were second to none.

Rest well, Phil. Thanks for the music. The music world is a much, much better place because of you and your brother.

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

You don't think much of an act like that until you namecheck the hits. They certainly had 'em. Rest in peace, Phil.

"do me a favour - open the door, and let 'em in..." - P. McCartney

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Great Harmony. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,310 Times in 3,173 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The Everly brothers were my moms favorite group. I was tortured listening to it but as I got older I appreciated what they did.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

They were the Soul and Inspiration for a lot of groups and an awf lot of music.

RIP
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Heart-wrenching version. RIP

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Awww, this is such sad news...I LOVE the Everly Brothers; such beautiful melodies and harmonies...And they were both so cute when they were younger!

I have so many favourites by them, but this one will always have a special place in my heart...

I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Chris, thanks for sharing such a good find. I knew I liked you for a reason.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

For as popular as they were I still wonder if they don't get enough credit for the start of it all. What a classic 50's sound they had. A song like Wake Up Little Susie has to be one of the first guitar riff's ever with that driving chord intro. Great stuff. And they weren't your typical one hit wonders like so many in the 50's were.

Because of my father I was exposed to 50's music all the time while growing up. Vivid memories of playing one 45 after another on the record player. I've had a 50's playlist on my iPhone forever because every now and then in the car it's just something I'm in the mood for.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Chris, thanks for sharing such a good find. I knew I liked you for a reason.
    I'm unabashedly sentimental Marc!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Default Phil Everly: 1939-2014

Duplicate post thanks to the Tapatalk App.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Default "All I Have To Do Is Dream" & "Cathy's Clown

Two of my all time favorite songs.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

That's pretty amazing. I'm posting it on my FB page...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

RIP
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com